SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2013, 09:50 PM   #1
kikastra
kikastra has a spectacular aura aboutkikastra has a spectacular aura aboutkikastra has a spectacular aura about

2009 Astra XR
Default The last Saturn Astra owner.

Who plans on keeping their Astra for the long haul? If lady luck is on my side, I plan on keeping my Astra until it is no longer feasible to be kept. I recently started a new family, and have a 2013 Dodge Grand Caravan on factory order. But I still plan on keeping the Astra, even though financially speaking I should probably trade her in on the new van, but I love the car too much and its paid for in full. She's even working as the family vehicle now, but its hard to put and pull the baby out of the back seat in a 2 door.

Anyhow, all of our cars are at most around 5 years old and at least around 4 years old. So there's still plenty of life left in our vehicles, so who here wishes to become the last Saturn Astra owner?

(Opelized and Vauxhallized Astras still count. No prize except pride will be awarded).

2009 Saturn Astra XR3 5-Speed - 72,000KM

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kikastra's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kikastra reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kikastra is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2013, 10:18 PM   #2
CadiEldo67
CadiEldo67 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: The last Saturn Astra owner.

In my mind, there is nothing comparable that I could replace it with, so I just can't justify buying something else.

The Verano is nice, but the styling doesn't do it for me, and it's like a toned down Astra. If they imported an Astra hatch and badged it as a Verano, I might be interested.

So yes, I do plan on keeping it for the long haul.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CadiEldo67's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CadiEldo67 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CadiEldo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:55 AM   #3
Eric12775
Eric12775 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

I bought mine used and still owe just under 3 years left. When we bought it we let our then 11 year old son have input on what car to buy because we plan on giving the car to him when he turns 16. It is currently the family car and I like the car but wish I had done some extended research before buying. There is almost no aftermarket or stock replacement parts readily available in the US.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Eric12775's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Eric12775 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Eric12775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:40 AM   #4
Weeman
Weeman is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

I only intended on keeping my astra for two years. It was a cool little car but I wanted something better. Two years is almost up and I have 3 months worth of payments left and I cannot let it go.

This little car is great on gas, handles fantastic, is fully loaded with heated leather like a caddi, can carry everything including a dingo and a baby, it looks sharp when I watch other people driving it, I never see another exact model on the road, reliable as I only needed to replace the flex pipe in two years, list goes on.

How long I will own it for now, who knows, but it does everything very well and it never breaks. After it's paid off how could I get rid of it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Weeman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Weeman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Weeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:18 AM   #5
Terra Nova
Terra Nova is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Well, my daughter and I share our Astra now, but once university is done it'll be her's full-time.

It has & is going to be rustproofed every year, we run Group 4 synthetic oil and stay on top of the maintenance...so we're hoping my daughter can get this to last to at least to 300,000+ km / 200,000 miles simply doing normal ' wear & tear ' maintenance.

I dunno....think an Astra reaching 300,000 km / 200,000 miles is a bit of a pipe dream ?

If the rustproofing keeps the fuel and brake lines and body from rusting and the AC holds up...who knows, ( if needed ) it might even still be worth dropping in a new(er) Ecotec engine in it at the post 300,000 km / 200,000 mile mark if all else is good. Probably still cheaper to go with a newer engine than getting a used replacement vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeman View Post
This little car is great on gas, handles fantastic, is fully loaded with heated leather like a caddi, can carry everything including a dingo and a baby,
MAN...I wish we had the leather seats !!!!

Listen, heaven forbid you ever get in an accident and you have to junk it ...but if so, give us first dibs on your leather seats !!!!!

- 2008 Silver Astra 3dr ' XR ' 5 spd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Terra Nova's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Terra Nova reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:02 PM   #6
gotz_otto
gotz_otto is on a distinguished road

I am on the fence. I love the car, it is fun to drive and I get good fuel economy out of it. There are very little options for hatch/wagons that are nice and affordable. My two main problems are car seat room, I have another child on the way and I am now in charge of bringing the kids to daycare. The second is I just had to have the engine replaced due to a cracked piston, it was under warranty but the car was at the dealership for 2 months because lack of tools and lack of parts.

I have been looking at maybe getting a bigger sedan or a SUV, I will miss the driving dynamics of the astra though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gotz_otto's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gotz_otto reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gotz_otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:43 PM   #7
phatfire6
Advanced Member
phatfire6 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Sorry guys. Unless I crash my car, I will be the last Saturn Astra owner.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to phatfire6's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help phatfire6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
phatfire6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:59 PM   #8
Tom S2
Advanced Member
Tom S2 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
MAN...I wish we had the leather seats !!!!

Listen, heaven forbid you ever get in an accident and you have to junk it ...but if so, give us first dibs on your leather seats !!!!!
check the thread here. you can get the leather seat covers for 250

Astra XR-3-5 HP - Hamster Powered!
Dealer added options, & Infinity speakers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom S2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom S2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom S2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:55 AM   #9
todaresqSL2
todaresqSL2 is on a distinguished road

2007 SKY
2008 Astra XR

I always thought I would have my SL2 forever... but a Bronco changed those plans.

Now I will say I won't get rid of either my Sky or Astra.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to todaresqSL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help todaresqSL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
todaresqSL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:12 PM   #10
RocNrolla
RocNrolla is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Just Traded my 2008 Astra XR 2 dr (blue) for a 2013 GMC sierra "Kodiak Edition" (mineral Green), BYE BYE astra was fun but moving on to bigger and better things!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RocNrolla's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RocNrolla reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RocNrolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:12 PM   #11
Weeman

2008 Astra XR

Ironically I also traded in my astra (after the "im going to keep my astra" spiel above), I pick up the new car this week. I went cliche and bought a new mustang. A deal I could not pass up.

It has been fun though!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Weeman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-03-2013, 09:30 AM   #12
kikastra
kikastra has a spectacular aura aboutkikastra has a spectacular aura aboutkikastra has a spectacular aura about

2009 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeman View Post
Ironically I also traded in my astra (after the "im going to keep my astra" spiel above), I pick up the new car this week. I went cliche and bought a new mustang. A deal I could not pass up.

It has been fun though!
Well that was quick!

2009 Saturn Astra XR3 5-Speed - 72,000KM

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help kikastra reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-04-2013, 06:36 PM   #13
Moyski
Moyski is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

So is anyone willing to share what they got for the trade in?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Moyski's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Moyski reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Moyski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:46 PM   #14
Weeman

2008 Astra XR

After tax rebate I got $6000 which felt kind of low but I need brakes all around, timing belt job and coolant flush by mid summer. Take the parts and labour I would have to spend and I basically looked at $7000 for my car. Not terrible I suppose.

I have a fully loaded XR 3dr with 112,000km. (65k miles or so)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-05-2013, 07:08 AM   #15
romanster
romanster will become famous soon enough

I got $8000 last July for my white XE 5 door with 72,000KM, bare bones, but I had kept it in brand new condition inside and out, and had blue LEDs inside I traded it in against for a white XR 3 door with 50,400KM that they had in the lot for $9700, with the CDC40 and GID audio package.

I'm with phatfire on this one. I just like the uniqueness of the car too much, and I've done so many upgrades that I'll keep it until it dies! Though mine is a daily driver and now has more than his 10,000 miles. The gf can be the one to get a family car!

Astra XR3 white
|Vauxhall VXR exterior conversion
|2010+ emblems
|Insignia VXR 18" rep wheels, Eibach SportLines
|BiXenon projector retrofit
|Blue interior LED conversion, OPC wheel/shifter

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to romanster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help romanster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
romanster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:15 AM   #16
stoickiwi
stoickiwi is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Apt time to post on the topic as I believe today is my Astraversary! 1 year and many mods later, I have to agree that the Astra has a spirit and uniquess that is unmatched by other vehicles on the road. It is sporty, economical, and full of personality (and rattles ). My Astra will be paid off and be used as our family car until I can't keep it running any more. Thanks to a new promotion at work, I'll probably be getting a sportier car and keeping the Astra as the daily commuter

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to stoickiwi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help stoickiwi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
stoickiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 09:49 PM   #17
kikastra

2009 Astra XR

Still have my 2009 Astra with 56,000KM on the ODO. Its been 2 and a half years since I posted this, and plan to do so every couple of years so long as I still have my Astra and so long as this board is still up and running. So I'm still in it for the long haul, and others have surely dropped out since then, and others have come on board. So who will be the last Saturn Astra owner? Do you still plan on keeping your Saturn Astra for the long haul?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-11-2015, 08:35 AM   #18
Saturn4Ever
Saturn4Ever is a jewel in the roughSaturn4Ever is a jewel in the roughSaturn4Ever is a jewel in the roughSaturn4Ever is a jewel in the rough

2009 Astra XR
2008 Outlook XR

I plan to be in the mix for the last Astra owner...best car I've ever owned so far reliability wise.

2009 Saturn Astra XR, 95,000km
2008 Saturn Outlook XR, 260,000km

Past vehicles: 2000 Oldsmobile Alero, 220,000km - SOLD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn4Ever's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn4Ever reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 12:55 PM   #19
emg77
Advanced Member
emg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

I'm closing in on 100,000 miles on mine (I'm just shy of 98,000 at the moment). The Astra has been super reliable, and I hope to keep it for at least 3 more years if I can, so my son can learn to drive on it when he turns 16. Hopefully it stays reliable. The only things I've had to do, other than regular maintenance, is (1) ball joint, a new flex pipe, a few screws/washers to reattach the heat shields, and replacement of a noisy HVAC fan (still worked, but I think it had become unbalanced). Other than that, it's just been sparkplugs, oil changes, a timing belt, brake pads, tires, and shocks/struts. It's still rust free, and looking pretty good for a 7 year old car.

Drives: 2014 Volt, 2017 Acadia
Past Cars: 08 Astra, 15 Acadia, 12 Enclave, 09 Traverse, 05 Vue, 04 Grand Prix, 00 Alero, 97 LeSabre, 72 Cutlass S

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to emg77's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help emg77 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
emg77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 02:01 PM   #20
nicolas_p
nicolas_p will become famous soon enoughnicolas_p will become famous soon enough

2009 Astra XR
2008 Astra XE

I've had an astra since 2008 and I'll be keeping the astra for a very long time. probably with a new engine in the near future because who doesn't want more power.

09 Vauxhall Astra XR3/STD
18" Team Dynamic MonzaR rims
Eibach Sportline, Whiteline BHR75Z swaybar and EBC Rotors
CD30 Mp3, Insignia jets, vxR surround, sharkfin antenna, Spoiler, Tint

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nicolas_p's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nicolas_p reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nicolas_p is offline   Reply With Quote