SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2007, 10:47 PM   #1
Scott Doscher
Scott Doscher is on a distinguished road

Default Key stuck in ignition

My key get stuck in the ignition and I can't get it out but if I wait about 5-10 min I can sometime get it out

Scott

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Scott Doscher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Scott Doscher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Scott Doscher is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2007, 12:31 AM   #2
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY
Default Re: Key stuck in ignition

Lube the key with graphite lock/key lube. Treat the key several times and insert it into the cylinder.

When my VUE was new I didn't like the feel of how the key felt in the ignition switch. I treated the key several times with graphite lock lube and operated the switch. Now it's smooth as glass.

I let the lock lube sit on the key and let it soak into the brass of the key. then wipe off the excess and insert it into the lock. Don't get excessive with the lube. Just because a drop is good, a gallon isn't necessarily better...

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 12:42 AM   #3
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

And DO NOT USE WD40, Silicon Spray or any other sort of OIL! Graphite lock lube is sold under the brand name LockEase at any Walmart.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 12:47 AM   #4
Rayman86
Rayman86 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1

I know some people that prefer the white lithium spray grease in its place as they say that the graphite thing becomes something you have to do over and over again periodically but never had to test that theroy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rayman86's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rayman86 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Rayman86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 08:40 AM   #5
MiSaturn
MiSaturn is on a distinguished road

2002 SL
1993 SL2

I've also tried some canned air to try to clear out the brass filings that collect in the lock cylinder. Might be wise to get a new key punched, if your old one is shot.

Also, my Saturn is very sensitive to the steering wheel position. At times have to pull wheel to get it to release, and be able to start it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MiSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MiSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MiSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 12:12 PM   #6
eljefino
Master Member
eljefino will become famous soon enough

1995 SW1
2000 SL1

if you have an automatic the gizmo that makes sure you're in park before you get your keys might be going south.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eljefino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eljefino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eljefino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 02:19 PM   #7
kanling
kanling is on a distinguished road

1994 SL

You probably need to replace the lock cylinder with a new one.

On the subject of graphite in locks, I had an incident years ago where a lock froze-up because of graphite. The locksmith said never to use it for lubricating locks because if any water gets in, the graphite will turn to a solid and freeze the lock. I don't know if it is really true, but I have never used graphite after that. I use a little oil every now and then and have never had a problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kanling's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kanling reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kanling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 02:39 PM   #8
kanling
kanling is on a distinguished road

1994 SL

Master Lock says here that you shouldn't use graphite:

http://commercial.masterlock.com/faq...dservice.shtml

but they also say not to use oil because the oil will attract dirt (good point that I hadn't thought of before).

Silicone or Teflon lubes are recommended. I'll have to try one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kanling's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kanling reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kanling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 02:40 PM   #9
Maui Jim
Maui Jim is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

I leave my stuck key in the ignition and use the spare to open the door. At least I'll never leave my keys in the igntion since the spare key is always in my pocket!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Maui Jim's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Maui Jim reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Maui Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 05:03 PM   #10
richpin06
richpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanling View Post

On the subject of graphite in locks, I had an incident years ago where a lock froze-up because of graphite. The locksmith said never to use it for lubricating locks because if any water gets in, the graphite will turn to a solid and freeze the lock. I don't know if it is really true, but I have never used graphite after that. I use a little oil every now and then and have never had a problem.
I have a friend that is a locksmith........he said: ......no to graphite......go figure

http://www.youtube.com/richpin06a

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to richpin06's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help richpin06 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
richpin06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 06:49 PM   #11
Rayman86
Rayman86 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanling View Post

Silicone or teflon? Wouldnt that be like spraying plastic right into your key cylinder? Silicone is the stuff some people use to make gaskets. And you want to spray that in your key cylinder?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rayman86's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rayman86 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Rayman86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 09:18 AM   #12
DonP
Master Member
DonP will become famous soon enoughDonP will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

Silicon somes in many varieties. It is chemically similar to carbon (graphite is a form of carbon). And they also made breast implants from silicon.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DonP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DonP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 01:06 PM   #13
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonP View Post
Silicon somes in many varieties. It is chemically similar to carbon (graphite is a form of carbon). And they also made breast implants from silicon.
Uh, no they make breast implants from silicone, which is what we're talking about (not silicon).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 02:05 PM   #14
DonP
Master Member
DonP will become famous soon enoughDonP will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

Understand. Just making the bridge between graphite and silicone, and alternative uses (maybe a bit of a stretch).

From wipipedia
"Silicones (more accurately called polymerized siloxanes or polysiloxanes) are inorganic-organic polymers with the chemical formula [R2SiO]n, where R = organic groups such as methyl, ethyl, and phenyl. These materials consist of an inorganic silicon-oxygen backbone (...-Si-O-Si-O-Si-O-...) with organic side groups attached to the silicon atoms,..."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DonP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DonP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DonP is offline   Reply With Quote