SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2008, 01:50 AM   #1
zivemaster
zivemaster is on a distinguished road

Dizzy Pwr socket aka cig lighter not working

1999 SL2. I know it's not just an element because my cell charger won't work. There is a fuse block under the hood but all are ok (lighter or aux pwr not listed). I felt the back of the socket for loose wires but all seems ok. Is there another spot for fuses? Any other ideas?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to zivemaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help zivemaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
zivemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2008, 02:02 AM   #2
tenn734
tenn734 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Pwr socket aka cig lighter not working

did u check the cabin fuse panel on the passenger side knee area? down and to the left of the glove compartment.

Last edited by tenn734; 12-17-2008 at 02:11 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tenn734's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tenn734 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tenn734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 02:21 AM   #3
zivemaster

Thanks. Hopefully I will find a blown one there. I am used to fuse blocks being under dash but saw that fuse block with reg fuses in it under hood so I figured that is where Saturn put em. I shoulda checked anyway...I'm not usually that lazy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help zivemaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-17-2008, 11:54 PM   #4
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

All fuse information is in your owner's manual.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 12:17 AM   #5
zivemaster

Yeah I had one but now I can't find it. Glove box is too small to keep in there with all my other junk. Anyway, I found the fuse block and sure enough the 20a fuse was fried. Changed it with a spare from the box under the hood and the cell charger worked. As soon as I pushed the lighter in I could see the interior lights dim and sure enough it blew again. Must be the lighter element is fried. I just use the cell charger for the most part anyway so no big deal.

Thanks for the help. My Saturn SL-2 has been great to me. If someone had told me I was going to buy a Saturn I woulda said no way...daughter had an SL-1 and I hated the design etc. But it was a good deal and now I'm glad.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-20-2008, 10:48 AM   #6
aa4lr
aa4lr has a spectacular aura aboutaa4lr has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zivemaster View Post
I found the fuse block and sure enough the 20a fuse was fried. Changed it with a spare from the box under the hood and the cell charger worked. As soon as I pushed the lighter in I could see the interior lights dim and sure enough it blew again. Must be the lighter element is fried. I just use the cell charger for the most part anyway so no big deal.
I wonder if there's something messed up with the socket. The lighter element is pretty dead simple -- a spiral-wound metallic strip. It's supposed to draw a bit of current in order to heat up quickly. However, it shouldn't be blowing the fuse.

Perhaps it's worth a trip to the junkyard to get a replacement. (Aren't these things standardized? One from another car should work, right? Borrow one from a friend and give it a try)

There could be some corrosion in the socket that is shorting out when the lighter is pressed in. I'd give it a good inspection and cleaning.

Bill Coleman
2001 Saturn SC2 Auto (3/13-...) "Yellow"
1999 Saturn SL2 Auto (11/09-...) "White"
1995 Saturn SC1 Manual (9/08-...) "Gold"
1994 Saturn SL1 Auto (7/94-1/04) 144,000 miles "Green"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to aa4lr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help aa4lr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
aa4lr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 11:09 AM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

OR just toss it!? In this enlightened age of information and final lack of plausible denial, the cigarette companies caved in and are moving on with business outside the USA. My L300 has two cigarette lighter adapters but both have hinged covers instead of the lighters. I grew up with those lighters and see the trend away from lighters and this 'new' term, 'power adapters' when it was just a 12v outlet all the time.

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote