SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2008, 01:55 PM   #1
ericpell
ericpell is on a distinguished road

Default Need ideas on how to remove stuck wheel bearing housing

I'm having some difficulty replacing the front right wheel bearing on my wife's 2003 Vue FWD. The seals were shot on the bearings and it started to wear. I've been able to get access to the wheel bearing and all the bolts are out but it looks like the bearing has gotten too warm and the housing has expanded and is now extremely stuck inside the spindle. I have a wheel bearing puller and had it attached to the hub assembly but when turning the tool into the axle I can only get it to go so far until the axle comes out of the hub housing and the cv joint twists. This thing just won't budge and is driving me insane! I don't have a ball joint puller and would rather not take the spindle off anyway. If I could get good access to the back side of the bearing I may be able to hit it out or use the bearing puller to actually push it out. Any suggestions on getting the axle shaft out of the way without destroying it?

Any other ideas?

Thank you!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ericpell's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ericpell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ericpell is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2008, 05:43 PM   #2
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Need ideas on how to remove stuck wheel bearing housing

This is what I did (if memory serves me right). I pulled the hub assembly out a little bit and put some shims behind it. Then I wacked the shaft with a big hammer. It was tough, but I eventually got it out.

Past Saturns: 97 SL2, 01 SC2, 04 VUE, 08 Astra, 02 L200.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spencerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 08:53 PM   #3
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

The outer CV joint is splined into the bearing. What is happening to you is that the bearing assembly is corroded into the steering knuckle. You may need to remove the entire knuckle and have the bearing pressed out. You luckly that the CV joint is not corroded into the bearing.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 11:08 PM   #4
col_dude190
Advanced Member
col_dude190 has a spectacular aura aboutcol_dude190 has a spectacular aura aboutcol_dude190 has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE Red Line
2004 ION-3 Quad Coupe

I had the same issue with my front left bearing on my '04 V6 Vue with about 80k on the clock. A friend of mine who is a mechanic and welder ended up removing the knuckle and using a blow torch to cut the bearing in half. He then proceeded to beat the two halves of the bearing out of the knuckle, allowing the installation of the new one. This was done as a last resort after about 4 hours of attempting to remove the bearing with pretty much every tool imaginable. Good luck!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to col_dude190's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help col_dude190 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
col_dude190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 07:25 AM   #5
Ritz
Master Member
Ritz has a spectacular aura aboutRitz has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssicarman View Post
The outer CV joint is splined into the bearing. What is happening to you is that the bearing assembly is corroded into the steering knuckle. You may need to remove the entire knuckle and have the bearing pressed out. You luckly that the CV joint is not corroded into the bearing.
That's exactly what I'd do. Just bite the bullet and take the knuckle off.

Cheers,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ritz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ritz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 03:19 PM   #6
burnout
Master Member
burnout is on a distinguished road

Why don't you remove the CV axle from the bearing first? You can flop it out of the way behind the knuckle without having to take it out of the transmission/halfshaft.

'13 VW CC 2.0T
'99 Volvo S70 AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to burnout's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help burnout reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
burnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:40 AM   #7
tkearsey
tkearsey is on a distinguished road

how exactly would one go about 'flopping' it out? I have an 05 and my hub is stuck good in the knuckle. I need to get behind it to give it a good smack i think.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tkearsey's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tkearsey reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tkearsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 06:59 PM   #8
ericpell
ericpell is on a distinguished road

I thought removing the cv joint would be my best option but then my father came over with the torch. I'm glad he did because I don't think I could have banged it out from the rear after we torched it. Here's what's left of the outer housing for the bearing.

Thank you all for your suggestions!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ericpell's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ericpell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ericpell is offline   Reply With Quote