|01-18-2020, 05:13 PM||#1|
Join Date: Feb 2015
2007 AURA XE
Replacing gear shifter PRND light bulb
Recently the illumination on my 2007 3.5 gear shifter stopped working. I couldn't find any threads about it, so thought I'd post one. I was actually worried about this, as without a gear indicator in the dark it's remarkably hard to know if you are truly in "Drive". Also, my kids are driving the car, and I fear they won't be too careful! For the sake of a couple of bucks....
First, it was remarkably easy and cheap (what a combination!). I was on the passenger side with the seat fully back to gain easier access. Step by step:
1. gently pull up the chrome surround and place to one side. I just used my fingers for all of this, no screwdrivers or even plastic levers needed.
2. then gently pull up the plastic cover surround of the gear shifter (note: it should just pop up slightly, with the part closer to the engine more in place, and the rear part towards the back of the car more elevated out of place. Don't try to remove it, all you have to do is just have enough space to gain access to the bulb on the left hand side.
3. Pull up the outer plastic surround that makes up the center console. Again, just enough to gain access.
4. the shifter is illuminated by a bulb on the left hand side of the shifter frame (as you face forwards in the car). There should be a wire leading the bulb around mid way. Twist the plastic holder of the bulb (sorry can't remember if it was clockwise or counter clockwise) and it will come off.
5. the bulb is a push fit into a plastic socket, pull to remove it.
Obviously reverse the process to put it back together. The shifter plastic surround (not the console surround or chrome surround) is the hardest to get back together, and I found gently pushing on the rear part was the best way to go. None needed to be forced, it was just gently pushing.
I bought two replacement bulbs from an automotive store for the princely sum of $2 (I think it said type 74 or something on the package). I recommend you take the blown bulb with you to compare to get the correct type.
2007 Saturn Aura XE 3.5 L LZ4 V6
2002 Saturn SL2 1.9L (manual)
|SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links|
|01-19-2020, 11:02 AM||#2|
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Nova Scotia
2008 AURA XE
Re: Replacing gear shifter PRND light bulb
2008 Saturn Aura XE 3.5L 4 spd
2000 Saturn SL1 1.9L SOHC (Retired)
|Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|How to change the gear selector light bulb||huidaman||S-Series General||1||09-24-2010 11:33 PM|
|Replacing Brake Light Bulb After Recall||kidrobinski||L-Series Tech||0||11-09-2008 08:14 PM|
|Replacing a light bulb... how tough can it be?||newastra||Astra General||19||07-31-2008 10:11 AM|
|Replacing reverse light bulb?||Orion45954||Ion General||2||06-12-2007 11:35 PM|
|Replacing dome light bulb||fingers||Miscellaneous Tech||2||05-16-2003 12:56 PM|