SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2008, 09:51 PM   #1
BigBen
BigBen is on a distinguished road

Default 2000 SL1, Saturn dealership or independent garage?

My 2000 SL1 has 140,000 miles, and still runs like a champ.
With the exception of oil & filter changes, I've done very little preventive maintenance on the car. (I know, that's not a good thing to do)

It's way over due for routine maintenance, such as: cooling system flush, hoses & fuel filter replacement, trans service, etc.

Should I bring it to my Saturn dealership, or an independent garage for service?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BigBen's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BigBen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BigBen is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2008, 10:01 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: 2000 SL1, Saturn dealership or independent garage?

You would probably want to consider doing most of this work your self. The cost at any shop will be high and the money you save will more than buy the tools you need to do it yourself. As you have a 2000 thee are several things you should do as corrective maintenance anyway.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 10:13 PM   #3
BigBen
BigBen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
You would probably want to consider doing most of this work your self. The cost at any shop will be high and the money you save will more than buy the tools you need to do it yourself.
I have no interest in doing the work myself. I work long hours on my job, and paying someone else to do the work is well within my buget. I've got better things to do on my limited free time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BigBen's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BigBen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BigBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 10:28 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Then I would go with an independent shop that admitted to some experience with Saturn cars. You should have the ECTS replaced with any other work you have done as yours is probably plastic and will fail.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 12:26 AM   #5
JerryHughes
Master Member
JerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SL

I agree with Old Nuc. But with the mileage you've got, you've got a lot of work to do! Good luck,

Jerry

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JerryHughes's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JerryHughes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JerryHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 10:50 AM   #6
DonP
Master Member
DonP will become famous soon enoughDonP will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

If cost/budget is not an issue, you are indeed a fortunate Saturn owner. Go with whom ever you trust most with you car. Check with friends, the local BBB, etc. for a track record of the service provider you are considering. A Saturn dealer will usually be somewhat higher priced due to dealership shop rates, should know the car better than most independent shops, will usually use OEM parts, and ultimately have GM behind their work (if that is of significant value these uncertain days).

However, a given independent might be better, depending on the shop and how they do business in their community, and most routine things do not require much in the way of unique or hard to find Saturn-specific knowledge. And with an independent you might have more control over what they do.

Keep in mind that neither the dealerships nor the independents have a monopoly on getting it right. Either can make mistakes and trap you into unnecessary work or do poor work.

What to expect? If no significant repair or maintenance (beyond routine oil changes) has been performed on the car to date, you have reached the age where a number of maintenance-repair type items can typically be expected. Surf the forums here and you will get a good feel for what they are. But what you car will need depends on the specifics of your car.

Many folks here either enjoy working on their cars, work on their cars to save money, and/or to be sure it is done right.

Enjoy!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DonP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DonP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DonP is offline   Reply With Quote