SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2015, 06:46 PM   #1
lefthookright
lefthookright is on a distinguished road

Default Can't remove lug nut studs in 2005 Saturn Ion

Hi all. I am trying to replace bent lug nuts on a 2005 Saturn Ion. The problem is there is no "hole" to push the backs of the studs through. I've rotated it 360 degrees around and there is no way to remove these studs that I can see. Do I have to remove the hub to do this repair? If so how do I remove the hub?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lefthookright's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lefthookright reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lefthookright is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2015, 07:32 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Can't remove lug nut studs in 2005 Saturn Ion

Does this help?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stud removal-1.jpg (182.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg stud removal-2.jpg (177.5 KB, 12 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Wheel Stud Replacement 4-Stud Pattern.pdf (106.3 KB, 7 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 01:19 PM   #3
kevin.st56
kevin.st56 has a spectacular aura aboutkevin.st56 has a spectacular aura about

2003 ION-2 Sedan

Front or rear?

afaik, the fronts, to remove, they are pushed backwards and exit from the back of the hub.
hub removal is recommended for changing stubs, but its doable, but difficult, without removal.

to remove the hub, there are 3 mounting bolts on the back side to unmounts, and then you have to remove the axle nut in the center.
when removing the axle nut, count how many full rotations it took to remove it, and then use that many rotations to reinstall it.
If I remember right, the 3 mount bolts are 12mm, and the axle nut is 29mm.
you will also need a jaw puller to pull the hub off the axle.

03 ion-2 Sedan 5sp
94 Honda civic automatic "VTEC yo"
05 Santa Fe 2.7L (Fefe) {Wrecked}

"A problem clearly stated, is a problem half solved."

♕KCCO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kevin.st56's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kevin.st56 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kevin.st56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 08:49 PM   #4
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin.st56 View Post
you will also need a jaw puller to pull the hub off the axle.
I always do it with a mallet or sledge, works just fine

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 04:53 PM   #5
kevin.st56

2003 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 ion2 View Post
I always do it with a mallet or sledge, works just fine
I thought of that too, but wasn't sure if going Clarkson would have been a good idea

03 ion-2 Sedan 5sp

♕KCCO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help kevin.st56 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-18-2015, 09:52 PM   #6
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

In this case going full blown clarkson is acceptable. I've done 3 this way. You obviously have to be careful not to obliterate the threads, but they're pretty well protected.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-21-2015, 09:58 AM   #7
Tyguyhihi
Tyguyhihi is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Note that going Clarkson on it will shock-load the bearings. It's not going to ruin them, but will likely shorten their expected life.

I've done it, but would recommend bracing the disc with an 'anvil' of sorts (anything heavy that will absorb some of the shock).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tyguyhihi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tyguyhihi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tyguyhihi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 01:28 PM   #8
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

If you're reusing the bearing, i would definitely recommend using a 2x4 or 4x4 between the sledge and axle. Also, always only use as much force as necessary, and no more.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-23-2015, 01:39 PM   #9
kevin.st56

2003 ION-2 Sedan

it doesn't take much to hammer it out.
I think I may have used a hammer to remove broken studs, but I tapped it out.
I didn't do a whole single swing at it like Clarkson would lol

if a hammer isn't available (why would you not have one?) then a C clamp would work also.

03 ion-2 Sedan 5sp

♕KCCO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-14-2015, 08:43 PM   #10
kgiri247
kgiri247 is on a distinguished road

I struggled with this one today. Got the broken stud out but not enough clearance to get the new one in! Reading through the pdf posted it looks like i can loosen the 3 15mm bolts without removing the hub to get 1/4" of clearance? Any one else have any recommendations or does the hub have to be removed? Had the oil changed and tires rotated 3 months ago at the dealer. They must have broken it off and never said anything. Hopefully I can just get them to fix it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kgiri247's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kgiri247 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kgiri247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 11:38 PM   #11
Samtherecordman
Advanced Member
Samtherecordman is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgiri247 View Post
I struggled with this one today. Got the broken stud out but not enough clearance to get the new one in! Reading through the pdf posted it looks like i can loosen the 3 15mm bolts without removing the hub to get 1/4" of clearance? Any one else have any recommendations or does the hub have to be removed? Had the oil changed and tires rotated 3 months ago at the dealer. They must have broken it off and never said anything. Hopefully I can just get them to fix it.
Call the Hulk ......... he always takes care of hard to take off nuts and bolts.

The more you piss him off the quicker the job gets done and the less labor you pay at the repair shop!!!!

Cheers,

Sam

Saturn Ion 3 Quad Coupe 3 with Sports Appearance package with Aura Pro Bass Shakers under the front seats, Kenwood Excelon Mono Amplifier and Infinity Kappa Perfect and I'm In Heaven!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Samtherecordman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Samtherecordman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Samtherecordman is offline   Reply With Quote