SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2001, 06:46 PM   #1
Rdhedgrl
Rdhedgrl is on a distinguished road

Idea LS2 Door Panels

I have a 2000 LS2 with the cloth door panels. I was recently at my dealership and noticed the 2002 L - series models have leather/vinyl at the base of the window and on the armrest portion with the cloth in between (it looks really nice!). I have the black cloth interior and have had a terrible problem with fading and crushing of the fabric on the doors. I would like to have this upgraded on my car, but the dealer told me the only way they could do it is to replace the entire door panel on each door. Is there a way to just replace the portion where the fabric is without having to replace the whole unit?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rdhedgrl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rdhedgrl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2001, 07:26 AM   #2
ricksLS1
Master Member
ricksLS1 has a spectacular aura aboutricksLS1 has a spectacular aura about

Their is a TSB on this. I don't have the work receipts for this but I had the same problem. Dealer said they saw nothing wrong, I had to complain to the CAC and got the ones with Vinyl on the front and new fabric on the rear (I don't know why but I was tired of fighting and no one sits in the back). They told me at 1st wear was NORMAL. Someone may have the TSB. If I don't see it I'll try to get the TSB for you tomorrow.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ricksLS1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ricksLS1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-25-2001, 07:28 AM   #3
ricksLS1
Master Member

PS The whole unit has to be replaced. If it is under warranty get it done. If not it is big $$. I think they are like $400 each!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ricksLS1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-25-2001, 09:48 AM   #4
hugh
hugh will become famous soon enough

Saturn has been aware for some time that the fabric used in 2000 LS2/LW2 and in both 2001 and 2002 L300/LW300 is subject to premature wear,particularly on driver's door arm rest edge and top of the panel. This is why the new panels with leather/vinyl covering arm rests are on 2002 L300/LW300 models. As a matter of fact,they were very quietly introduced in late production of 2001 models.

TSB #01-T-21 issued in April,2001 covers replacement under warranty for 2000 and 2001 models noted above that show signs of wear.The panels are the same as on 2002 models. The TSB specifically says that when panels are replaced,all 4 must be replaced at the same time.

For information,my LS2 interior is 'Light Oak' and according to the invoice,the part numbers for the 4 panels are 22678587,22678588,22678639 and 22678640. Presumably the numbers differ depending on colour.

My wear was along the inside edge of the driver's side door arm rest where the nap wore off and along the top of the panel where your elbow usually rests.There was wear on front passenger side arm rest,but to lesser extent. My dealer replaced all 4 panels in accordance with the TSB with no argument.

If your dealer won't comply with the TSB,go to another dealer or call Saturn CAC.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hugh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hugh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-25-2001, 12:18 PM   #5
ricksLS1
Master Member

I have an LS1 and it was covered under that TSB.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-25-2001, 01:52 PM   #6
Rdhedgrl
Rdhedgrl is on a distinguished road

Happy Thank you

Thank you for the TSB info. I will definately look into having them replaced. I love having the black interior, but have been very disappointed in its durability. I wish they would have had the black leather available when I got mine. Thanks again!

Rdhedgrl

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rdhedgrl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rdhedgrl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread