SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2018, 03:44 PM   #21
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: New guy needs pointed in right direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret7824 View Post
......Sorry for not keeping y'all updated. I've been working 7-12's. 3pm-3:30am. Not much time for working on cars. I finally took it on a long drive this last weekend. I haven't seen any more error codes pop up but still have an odd hesitaton from 60-85. (fast as I could get it up to because of traffic) This is making me wonder if it mat be a sensor issue? With the throttle body being so black could the inside of the intake be that dirty as well? Would giving it a good cleaning out possibly help?
If you can, drive it more to get the car to know its being used. Almost every sensor that fails is diagnosed with the OBD II system to generate an error code or two. Some things still requires a hands on approach like replacing wear items (plugs, oil, filters, tires, etc). Old school troubleshooting still works even with EFI systems and electronics as long as a person keeps up with technology changes and incorporates basic engine fundamentals with sensors and computer systems.

Every car in the USA market recycles combustion blowby (aka crankcase gases) from every piston ring leak, back to the intake system. This results in coating the entire back portion of throttle bodies and intake manifold in oily black deposits. Include exhaust gas recirculation in this concoction and you have the recipe and reason for black oily deposits. Cleaning throttle is part of periodic maintenance but not the intake manifold. Unless there's an overwhelming reason like severe deposits blocking the intake manifold, all the effort to remove the manifold for cleaning goes to waste as soon as the engine is started........ to recoat the intake manifold again. Your choice to ponder or move on with other issues that affect mid throttle hesitation.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2018, 04:00 PM   #22
ferret7824
ferret7824 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan

Yeah the intake cleaning was a passing thought. Hopefully sometime the next couple of weeks I'll be taking her on an hour drive each way to see my sister. I've been driving it o work to get miles on it (still haven't reached 40k yet) but it's only quick 15 minute drive on interstate from home to work.

Any idea what normal operating temp for catalytic converter in an 06 with a 2.2l would normally be? Interestingly enough the OBD2 reader I have can actually measure that and other gm exclusive PID's

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ferret7824's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ferret7824 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ferret7824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 06:16 PM   #23
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

From one site I regard as reputable, reliable and always a source of info, http://www.aa1car.com/library/converter.htm;

The average light off temperature at which the catalytic converter begins to function ranges from 400 to 600 degrees F. The normal operating temperature can range up to 1,200 to 1,600 degrees F. But as the amount of pollutants in the exhaust go up, so does the converter's operating temperature.

Saturn service manuals always describe O2 sensors needing at least 600F before they begin outputting valid signals the engine computer can use to enter closed loop mode of emissions control. Closed loop mode; after initial engine startup, a cold engine usually runs rich and always in open loop until coolant rises above 160F-170F and O2 sensor heats up above 600F before entering closed loop mode of normal emissions control.

15 minutes of driving can get the engine up to operating temperatures. Engine cycling for everyday driving is what cars need although a short drive may not get oil hot and boil off moisture and crankcase gases an hour long drive does, it's still better than not driving the car at all.

Last edited by fdryer; 04-04-2018 at 06:22 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote