SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2007, 12:05 PM   #1
e1geo
e1geo is on a distinguished road

Default coolant overflow after turning engine off

I have a 98 Saturn -- I do not know what model as I cannot find that information anywhere on the body. Every once in a while a lot of coolant overflows after I shut the engine off. When this happens does not seem to be related to the length of time I have been driving or to anything else I can figure out. I had the thermostat replaced. Anyone have any thoughts about how to fix this problem? Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to e1geo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help e1geo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
e1geo is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2007, 12:22 PM   #2
Sky King
Master Member
Sky King is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
1995 SL2
Default Re: coolant overflow after turning engine off

I presume it overflows from the resevoir. Sounds like either the cap is bad or not on correctly. Does it ever overflow while it is running?

1999 SC-2 280,000 miles -mine now also dead, RIP
1995 SL-2 296,000 miles - my wifes totaled, RIP
1993 Chevrolet S-10 Pick-up - mine
2003 Harley Davidson Low Rider - mine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sky King's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sky King reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sky King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 01:13 PM   #3
97coupe
Master Member
97coupe is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2

This is not that unusual because engine temp actually rises for a few minutes after a hot shutdown and given the lax timing of cooling fan the coolant can be close to 230 at shut down and the extra heat pops it off sometimes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 97coupe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 97coupe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
97coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 02:16 PM   #4
e1geo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky King View Post
I presume it overflows from the resevoir. Sounds like either the cap is bad or not on correctly. Does it ever overflow while it is running?
Hard to tell if it overflows while running -- I do not think so. I am ordering a new cap as that would be a cheap fix -- thanks for the suggestion.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help e1geo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-19-2007, 02:43 PM   #5
oakraiders24
oakraiders24 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2

Do not order a cap...just go to any Pepboys, Kragen, Autozone, etc...and buy it there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to oakraiders24's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help oakraiders24 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
oakraiders24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 03:29 PM   #6
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

The question begs to be asked...is this an SL/SC 1, or an SL/SC 2 ?

And is the coolant overflowing out CLEAN or a brown milkshake like goo?

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 03:38 PM   #7
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1geo View Post
I do not know what model as I cannot find that information anywhere on the body.
The model is on the title. You can also find out by typing the VIN into carfax (one step before paying for it).

Does the temp gauge read as expected? Does the cooling fan ever come on when the engine gets hot?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 03:54 PM   #8
e1geo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
The question begs to be asked...is this an SL/SC 1, or an SL/SC 2 ?

And is the coolant overflowing out CLEAN or a brown milkshake like goo?
Coolent is clean -- probably not the head gasket. Oil looks OK too. I will figure out the model with the tips provided -- thanks.

Temp gage reads fine, fan comes on, replaced thermostat -- the shop does not know what the problem is but has gone through the usual diagnostics.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-19-2007, 04:44 PM   #9
97coupe
Master Member
97coupe is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1geo View Post
Coolent is clean -- probably not the head gasket. Oil looks OK too. I will figure out the model with the tips provided -- thanks.

Temp gage reads fine, fan comes on, replaced thermostat -- the shop does not know what the problem is but has gone through the usual diagnostics.
Like I said this is not unusual. You could increase coolant concentration too as that raise boiling point of mixture and improves heat transfer from engine to coolant too. (Glycol is densor and can absorb more heat per gallon of liquid than water can which many do not realize)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 97coupe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 97coupe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
97coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 05:17 PM   #10
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

That being the case, the SL, SL1 and SL2 of ANY GIVEN MODEL YEAR use the SAME resevoir cap. Be sure to only remove and more importantly install the new cap ONLY on a stone COLD engine.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 02:34 PM   #11
Shelly
Shelly is on a distinguished road

I have a 1995 Saturn SL1 that does the same thing. It sometimes overflows, and sometimes doesn't. It just started a couple of months ago. I've been driving with the air conditioner on at all times to keep the fan going, although I think it is kicking on when it should anyway but I want to be sure that it's running, but it still overflows. The first few times it happened the A/C was not on, so that's not the problem.

It has only done it after I stop except for yesterday. I was on a long road trip and it had done well until I was about an hour from home (after driving about 4 1/2 hours with three stops where it might have overflowed some - I checked the first and last stop, but forgot at the middle one), when the light began flashing that the coolant was low.

The gauge never shows that it's overheating, even when I notice the overflow on the ground and check the temp.

I don't understand how a cap could be the problem, unless it overflows every time you drive the car. Also, do you mean the radiator cap or the overflow cap? Also, it never seems that the top of either, around the cap is wet.

It seems that it has something to do with the car continuing to heat after it's turned off, but the gauge can be around or below a quarter of the way and it still happens

Any ideas? Hopefully, with an explanation of why it might be that. I have to go to a funeral in a couple of days, and I'd really like for this to be fixed by then.

Thanks for any advice you might have!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Shelly's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Shelly reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Shelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 02:41 PM   #12
Shelly
Shelly is on a distinguished road

Oh, and this started about 3 or 4 months after I had the radiator replaced. Those first months were mostly winter months, but it did get pretty hot for a while before the first time it happened, or at least the first time enough was lost to cause the low coolant light to come on.

Thanks again!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Shelly's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Shelly reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Shelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 02:47 PM   #13
TXSaturn02
Master Member
TXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

My reservoir cap (there is no radiator cap on these cars) is still original and working fine. But, from what I've read here, it is not unusual for the caps to wear out. Since it is a pressurized system, the cap needs to work correctly. Try buying a new one - it is a $7 part from what I hear.

Others will chime in if I'm wrong.

2002 SL2 Manual - new in November, 2001
As of 09/30/17: 223,751 Miles - SOLD
New owner As of 01/01/18: 225,000 Miles

2013 Mazda 3 HB - new in October 2012
As of 03/20/18: 46,135 Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TXSaturn02's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TXSaturn02 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TXSaturn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 02:39 AM   #14
ehunter
ehunter has a spectacular aura aboutehunter has a spectacular aura about

Location: Pacifica by San Francisco 5sp Engine rebuild with the help of people here at 177K due to 500mi/qt oil consumption. After 2yrs I am back to 40mpg+ after discovering the refirb head I used was bad. Car runs better than a top. Now at 214k.

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelly View Post
I don't understand how a cap could be the problem, unless it overflows every time you drive the car. Also, do you mean the radiator cap or the overflow cap?
The reservoir cap is part of the problem. Low coolant concentration may be your other issue.

The cap creates an airtight seal to the coolant system. I am sure you have heard of water boiling at a lower temp in places of high elevation? Well, the cap works using the same concept.

The cap allows pressure to build in the coolant system which raises the boiling temperature of the coolant. So if the cap does not seal properly, allowing the outside air pressure to equalize with the coolant system, you are more susceptible to coolant boil over and your system is not working as designed. If you ever hear your reservoir cap buzzing, replace it.

The second factor to thwart off boil over is making sure the level of antifreeze is at least 50% when your coolant type is ethylene glycol and 60% if the type is propylene glycol. The antifreeze also raises the boiling temp of the coolant fluid.

So when you combine the two effects of a pressurized system with that of minimum antifreeze concentration your car will do fine avoiding any coolant boil overs.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ehunter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ehunter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:07 AM   #15
pljenkins
pljenkins is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97coupe View Post
Like I said this is not unusual. You could increase coolant concentration too as that raise boiling point of mixture and improves heat transfer from engine to coolant too. (Glycol is densor and can absorb more heat per gallon of liquid than water can which many do not realize)
This is not correct. Glycol at +95C has less then 70% the specific heat capacity of water, and it is less able to transfer that heat, so even though glycol will boil over at a higher temperature, you will still overheat your car.

DO NOT use a 100% glycol solution in an automobile engine.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/et...col-d_146.html

P.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pljenkins's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pljenkins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pljenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:36 PM   #16
rdfsc
rdfsc is on a distinguished road

I know this is an old thread but I'm having a similar issue.

I have a 2001 Saturn sl2, I have replaced the leaky water pump and overflow (radiator cap) I can drive for about 3 weeks and out of the blue I get steam rising out of the passenger side. Last time it happened, I replaced the cap only.

Today it happened again and I heard a gurgling sound but was unable to pinpoint the location. I want to say on the driver side but not 100% sure. I havent' checked the coolant levels yet but will before I leave work.

I had coolant all over the coolant tank.

Other than taking it in to have someone find the leak, any ideas? Should I just replace the tank?

I'm not finding any leaks on the ground or anywhere else. I followed a guide in a different thread but still can't find any leaks.
I have not replaced the ECTS and it looks like it hasn't been replaced previously. I know I should do that as well and will eventually.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by rdfsc; 02-12-2013 at 01:48 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rdfsc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rdfsc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rdfsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:02 PM   #17
jambra1
Advanced Member
jambra1 is a jewel in the roughjambra1 is a jewel in the roughjambra1 is a jewel in the roughjambra1 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SL2

Some more info would be helpful. What is your temp gauge showing when the overflow takes place? Is it way above the halfway mark? Where is the steam coming out? What are your driving patterns immediately before the overheating?

Does your fan come on at all? Flip your AC on while the engine is running and the fan should turn on and run continuously. You can also test the fan motor by pulling out the wire connector and jumping it directly from the battery. If you are only getting occasional overheating in the winter, there is a possibility the fan motor is shot and sitting still or going very slow in traffic for extended periods could be causing overheating.

You could have intermittent thermostat problems although they usually lock open versus closed. Still might be worth checking if the fan is okay.

There are other suggestions earlier in this thread concerning the cap.

By all means, replace that ECTS. And do it sooner rather than later as it can mess up a lot of things including the readings on your temp gauge.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jambra1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jambra1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jambra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:45 PM   #18
rdfsc
rdfsc is on a distinguished road

Lets see, it gets up between the 1/4 to half way mark before the steam starts to come out. The fan does come one as well so I do know that works. The steam is coming out the right passenger side. This has been an on going battle. I bought it back in December unaware of the problem. I'll triple check the fan when I get up in the morning. I am 99% sure it's ok since it has come on in the past before.

Tonight when sitting in the taco bell drive through the temp gage was rising and the coolant steam was coming out close to the halfway mark. I did notice the fan did come one as well. I am in California so I don't have too may problems with winter weather. I have previously filled it up with coolant before driving from work.

My driving pattern is basically to and from work between 70-80 mpg. Driving distance is only 17 miles and 20 minutes away from my place.

I have replaced the cap and it lasted for approx. 3 weeks then this happens again.

I did buy the ECTS from Autozone and have a Reservoir coming from Amazon by thursday. Autozone didn't have one instock so I took the part number and found one there. I'll be replacing both of them over the weekend so hopefully this will fix it.

I'll re-read the thread about the cap but since I replaced it, I would think that would cover most of those issues.

Thanks again for your help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rdfsc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rdfsc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rdfsc is offline   Reply With Quote