SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2010, 08:19 PM   #1
Elit3keraed
Elit3keraed is on a distinguished road

Default Coolant Overflow And Radiator Fan

Hey guys,

So my car has recently stopped overheating. NOw as of right now I am broke but I have learned 2 things. First off my radiator is overflowing from my overflow tank from underneath the cap as my car hits the halfway point to "hot" on my temperature gauge.

The second thing I noticed is my fan doesnt engage when the car is idling and approaches the midway point on the temp gauge. I do specifically remember it popping on at this point, so I am hoping that it is 1 problem and not a list of problems leading to my radiator issues.

Anyways. Where would I find the fuse for this fan? I figure most likely it is blown out (because of a new sound system I installed that draws insane amounts of power) but I am not sure what it would be or how I could tell if its blown. (I am guessing the one labeled cool fan on the fuse box but I am not sure)

BTW I should mention its a 2001 saturn sc2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Elit3keraed's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Elit3keraed reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Elit3keraed is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2010, 08:22 PM   #2
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
Default Re: Coolant Overflow And Radiator Fan

As for the coolant overflowing from the cap, that would be a bad cap. Replace it.

ALSO: You did replace the ECTS/connector, right? Instructions in the how-to library.

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

Last edited by adventureoflink; 07-17-2010 at 08:33 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:27 PM   #3
SLCraig
Master Member
SLCraig is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
2000 SW2

It sounds like you only need a cap.
The fan will not come on right away as the temp climbs.

I really hate how GM sets up their temp gauges. Everyone always thinks their cars are overheating. Most cars have their temp gauges always in the exact same place and that is the normal threshold. If there is a problem the gauge actually moves from its normal place, unlike our cars, it moves around all the time.

1996 SL2 5MT
1997 SL1 5MT
2000 SW2 5MT
All gone, but not forgotten.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SLCraig's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SLCraig reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SLCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 01:25 PM   #4
Elit3keraed
Elit3keraed is on a distinguished road

Well the only reason I think the fan is bad or the fuse is blown is because my cars fan normally comes on at the "halfway point" and I watched it climb pretty high before it finally started overflowing

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Elit3keraed's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Elit3keraed reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Elit3keraed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:36 PM   #5
longhornx
longhornx is on a distinguished road

the fuse box is under the hood on the driver's side. I had exactly the same problem a few weeks ago. My fuse and relay were good. It turned out to be the fan motor. Replaced it and everything's good since then.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to longhornx's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help longhornx reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
longhornx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:51 AM   #6
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elit3keraed View Post
Well the only reason I think the fan is bad or the fuse is blown is because my cars fan normally comes on at the "halfway point" and I watched it climb pretty high before it finally started overflowing
When you pull the fuse out, you can see a metal strip between the two prongs. If the strip has melted, the fuse is blown - look right in the middle of the picture below

direct link http://www.societyofrobots.com/image...fuse_blown.jpg

Another way to test is to swap that fuse with a known good fuse of the same color/rating from the fuse box

Most likely, your fan motor is dead. You can test this by directly connecting power to the fan and seeing if it runs; go to YouTube and search for videos by richpin06a for the procedure.

If it's a blown fuse, you need to fix whatever caused the fuse to blow - otherwise, you'll just keep blowing fuses

You should check the ECTS anyway (Saturn changed to brass mid-year 2001) and replace if needed, but I don't think that is your problem since you seem to be getting a good temp reading from it. (course, if it's bad, the temp reading is irrelevant as you're getting a bad signal )

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote