SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > 2008 Vue
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2016, 03:17 PM   #1
scottiedoggy
scottiedoggy is on a distinguished road

Default Transmission Problem?

I have a 2008 Vue Redline with 71K miles. It's starting to behave oddly and I'm fearing it's the transmission. I have plugged in my OBDII bluetooth scanner, but there are no codes. I also do not hear any strange noises.

1. Occasionally, when I'm coasting around 40 mph in traffic, and then give it a little gas to accelerate, the car starts bucking VERY hard. It's as if the car turned into a jack hammer. I can then let off the pedal to coast again, then give it a little gas. It will start hammering really hard again. I have to let it coast for a while and then it will act normally.

2. The other issue is when I'm traveling on the highway (65-70 mph) and then exit and come to a stop on the service road. Just when the car is about to come to a complete stop, the car will surge forward 1 time, really hard.

Does this sound like the wave-plate issue, or something else?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to scottiedoggy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help scottiedoggy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
scottiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2016, 08:53 PM   #2
RLTherio
RLTherio is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Transmission Problem?

I have the same symptom that you described in the first problem when coasting about 35 and lightly accelerate it does buck but not at bad as the way you described. I have a 2008 Vue XE with the 3.5 liter V6 with 118k miles on it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RLTherio's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RLTherio reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RLTherio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 08:54 PM   #3
RLTherio
RLTherio is on a distinguished road

Also about once a month since I bought it back in January 2016, when I come to a complete stop, the engine will stall just as if I was driving a standard transmission without putting in the clutch. No codes show up at all. I just simply put it in neutral, restart the engine, back into drive and all is well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RLTherio's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RLTherio reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RLTherio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 09:30 PM   #4
scottiedoggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLTherio View Post
Also about once a month since I bought it back in January 2016, when I come to a complete stop, the engine will stall just as if I was driving a standard transmission without putting in the clutch. No codes show up at all. I just simply put it in neutral, restart the engine, back into drive and all is well.
Mine doesn't stall, it surges forward the one time and then it runs just fine. Really odd.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help scottiedoggy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-16-2016, 05:48 AM   #5
gm7
Advanced Member
gm7 is a jewel in the roughgm7 is a jewel in the roughgm7 is a jewel in the roughgm7 is a jewel in the rough

2009 VUE Red Line

Seems completely unrelated to 3-5-R trans issue.
Pretty astounding your OBDII isn't throwing any codes...sure would help root cause your issue.

A very long list of possibilities...complete dart board of options:
- fuel pump
- clogged fuel filter
- clogged or bad injector(s)
- dirty throttle body or MAF
- bad/intermittent spark plug wire
- could be bad electrical to your ignition system...or to your fuel management. All engine sensors work off of baseline voltage. If voltage is intermittent, you will have poor drivability.

Generally if you have a failing engine or even trans function you will get a code. Since you have no codes, I would probably start with a fuel filter, change air filter, reseat all your spark plug wires...run the engine in a dark garage to see if you have any arcing under the hood due to a bad wire. Maybe run some injector cleaner thru the engine. These types of issues that aren't blatant are hard to diagnose...especially with no codes. No codes suggests possibly an interruption of electricity to your engine. Your engine and trans ECM function based upon steady current. If the ECM isn't achieving steady and strong voltage, sensor resistance will be off resulting in poor drivability. Your fuse box may even be the root cause...corrosion which can cause dodgy electrical issues on Vues...or perhaps a bad engine ground.

Good luck

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gm7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gm7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gm7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 08:00 AM   #6
bigdude2468
bigdude2468 is on a distinguished road

Not wave plate, could certainly be the transmission. Does your OBD II scanner show transmission faults? some do not. I wonder if the lock up torque converter is the culprit, symptoms match. Don't start throwing parts at it, that is a waste of money. It is NOT the air filter, cars run fine with dirty air filters unless they are plugged solid which is doubtful. Plug wires spark plugs would not give you the surging you are experiencing. Dirty fuel filters also do not act like you are describing. Good luck, lets us know what the outcome is.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigdude2468's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigdude2468 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bigdude2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 07:22 PM   #7
gm7
Advanced Member
gm7 is a jewel in the roughgm7 is a jewel in the roughgm7 is a jewel in the roughgm7 is a jewel in the rough

2009 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
Not wave plate, could certainly be the transmission. Does your OBD II scanner show transmission faults? some do not. I wonder if the lock up torque converter is the culprit, symptoms match. Don't start throwing parts at it, that is a waste of money. It is NOT the air filter, cars run fine with dirty air filters unless they are plugged solid which is doubtful. Plug wires spark plugs would not give you the surging you are experiencing. Dirty fuel filters also do not act like you are describing. Good luck, lets us know what the outcome is.
It can be vestiges of a pending wave plate failure. Yes it could be related to torque converter lock up. It can also be a stuck clutch pack solenoid. You do NOT know if its related to the air filter. ALWAYs do PM as first foray..like change a air filter and/or fuel filter if say over a 100K miles and air filter hasn't been changed in 25K miles. A plug or plug wire CAN induce surging/bucking due to electrical cross talk arcing/shorting.

You have no idea what the problem is. Neither do I. Yes, throwing parts needlessly at the issue is the wrong approach. But addressing typical service issues...like cleaning the MAF and throttle body...pulling the plugs and looking at them...measuring alternator/battery voltages etc are all solid steps.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gm7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gm7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-16-2016, 09:04 PM   #8
scottiedoggy

Great advice from all of you. I'm looking to sell it, and want to make sure any major issue is resolved. Not about to sell a problem to somebody. I have a strong moral compass.

I'm going to perform the 100K mile maintenance items and go from there. Hopefully, that will resolve it. I do know the voltage is a little low on the battery, but it turns over just fine. I may need to do that, too.

I had a 2000 Infiniti long ago with a battery not producing the proper voltage. It caused the transmission to stay in 1st gear. Will keep the post updated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-17-2016, 01:32 PM   #9
gm7
Advanced Member

2009 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottiedoggy View Post
Great advice from all of you. I'm looking to sell it, and want to make sure any major issue is resolved. Not about to sell a problem to somebody. I have a strong moral compass.

I'm going to perform the 100K mile maintenance items and go from there. Hopefully, that will resolve it. I do know the voltage is a little low on the battery, but it turns over just fine. I may need to do that, too.

I had a 2000 Infiniti long ago with a battery not producing the proper voltage. It caused the transmission to stay in 1st gear. Will keep the post updated.
The ECM's ability to do its job...which is based upon sensor resistance...from MAF to injectors to temp sensors, crank position sensor...all engine management...is based upon a strong battery and proper alternator charging and solid grounds. Without, no chance for smooth running. That is your starting point.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gm7's Reputation
Old 08-25-2016, 04:21 PM   #10
shaker_op
shaker_op is on a distinguished road

When was the last time you changed the transmission fluid?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to shaker_op's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help shaker_op reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
shaker_op is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 02:47 PM   #11
scottiedoggy

Looks like the problem was the TCM. There were codes and it was causing the torque converter to lock up. That was not cheap. It's been running nice smooth now - no more lunging forward.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-30-2016, 08:54 AM   #12
bigdude2468
bigdude2468 is on a distinguished road

Good call on my part that it was the torque convertor, surge was a dead give away. Glad you did not start throwing a bunch of unneeded parts at it, would have been a waste of money

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigdude2468's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigdude2468 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bigdude2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 07:23 PM   #13
Oscar Moreno
Oscar Moreno is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 2.4L

Great info I'll keep that in mind1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Oscar Moreno's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Oscar Moreno reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Oscar Moreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 05:29 PM   #14
Oscar Moreno
Oscar Moreno is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 2.4L

scottiedoggy, About how much should I expect to pay to replace the TCM? I'm thinking if repairing mine since I'm having similar issues.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Oscar Moreno's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Oscar Moreno reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Oscar Moreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 08:49 AM   #15
MacVue
MacVue is on a distinguished road

It would be greatly appreciated that instead of just making a statement telling us that "it wasn't cheap" if people would actually state who did the repair and how much it cost.

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MacVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MacVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MacVue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 02:30 PM   #16
gm7
Advanced Member

2009 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacVue View Post
It would be greatly appreciated that instead of just making a statement telling us that "it wasn't cheap" if people would actually state who did the repair and how much it cost.

Thanks
Sorry, you are expecting too much.
Next in line please. Nothing to see here...lol.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gm7's Reputation
Old 06-08-2018, 05:42 PM   #17
homerec130
homerec130 is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L
2006 VUE 3.5L

While not the same issue, but for the sake of comparison, my local GM dealer quoted me 4500 to replace the 6T70 in my 08 Vue, 4900 to rebuild. That was last July. We ended up trading the car as GM wouldn't even work with us on replacement. 4 days outside the 10 year special warranty based on paperwork, 6 days inside the period based on when the vehicle was ready for delivery (with complete documentation).

Homer

Paul "Homer" Simpson
15 Ford Fiesta, Gray
06 Vue 3.5L, FWD, Storm Grey (Wife's Ride)

08 Vue 3.6L, FWD, Sunburst Orange - RIP 6T70

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to homerec130's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help homerec130 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
homerec130 is offline   Reply With Quote