SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > 2008 Vue
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2011, 01:20 PM   #1
SeaRayCapn
SeaRayCapn is on a distinguished road

Default Water on Driver's floor

Anytime it rains or snows, I get a huge puddle on the driver's side floor. Water is coming from under the center console. I've now read 5 others (not recent posts) having this problem, but no one ever reports what the solution ended up being. I've checked the shifter cable rubber plug. Carpet high behind pedals is dry, sort of ruling out windshield leak.
The most logical explanations seem to be a plugged A/C evap drain tray, even though these occurred in cool weather. Apparently Saturn starts the A/C compressor if temp is above freezing.
Anyone else encountered rain water from teh center console, and solved this?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SeaRayCapn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SeaRayCapn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SeaRayCapn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2018, 09:10 PM   #2
CarolinaVue
CarolinaVue is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L
Default Re: Water on Driver's floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaRayCapn View Post
Anytime it rains or snows, I get a huge puddle on the driver's side floor. Water is coming from under the center console. I've now read 5 others (not recent posts) having this problem, but no one ever reports what the solution ended up being. I've checked the shifter cable rubber plug. Carpet high behind pedals is dry, sort of ruling out windshield leak.
The most logical explanations seem to be a plugged A/C evap drain tray, even though these occurred in cool weather. Apparently Saturn starts the A/C compressor if temp is above freezing.
Anyone else encountered rain water from teh center console, and solved this?
Resurrecting this thread - NEED HELP and getting desperate. My 2008 Vue XR has this identical problem with water in front floor board after a rain (no snow for me in NC haha). I am 99% sure the problem is a water leak coming from behind the center console but I don't know where to start.
* Carpet up high (under dash) remains dry. Windshield leak is ruled out (due to dry carpet behind pedals), plus I had my windshield professionally re-sealed (desperation) but problem persists.
* I can drive the car in warm temps (75F), with or without AC, and my floor boards stay dry. AC condensate drains appear to be working normally.
* After a long. soaking rain (several hours), I have standing water in my floor board. The water is draining out from under my center console (toward whichever side of the car is downhill). I have been unable to duplicate the leak with a garden hose or automatic car wash. Recent downpour that was very intense but short duration also failed to leak. A long, soaking rain a few days later DID leak.

My next step (waiting on rain) is to cover the windshield (including the area above the hood where the wipers attach) with a water-proof tarp and see whether the leak persists. I have heard (anecdotally) that water leaks can originate almost anywhere, not necessarily from the closest, most logical point.

Does anyone have any ideas, or know of any water problems common with 2008 Vue? Even if I end up taking the car to a body shop, I would like to point them in the right direction to save extensive diagnostic labor. ANY help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2008 Saturn Vue 3.6L V6, 211k miles, still running strong. 2nd owner. Replaced 6T70 transmission at 205k.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CarolinaVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CarolinaVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CarolinaVue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 11:20 AM   #3
gm7
Advanced Member
gm7 is a jewel in the roughgm7 is a jewel in the roughgm7 is a jewel in the roughgm7 is a jewel in the rough

2009 VUE Red Line

If your car has a sunroof, the most common reason for foot wells to fill up are plugged drain hoses, that drain water from the frame of the sunroof which is like a moat over your head that must drain down. Drainage is accomplished through small drain hoses down the roof pillars of the car. Common they plug with debris with age.

Perform a search on the forum. Likely there is a picture or schematic that shows their orientation. If you open the sunroof you maybe able to identify where it drains.

HTH

PS: link which may not be specific to the Vue but no doubt same principle:
http://www.saturnspot.com/showthread.php?t=25541

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gm7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gm7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gm7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 01:59 PM   #4
CarolinaVue

2008 VUE 3.6L

Thanks gm7. My car does not have a sunroof, so clogged sunroof drains aren't my problem.

I removed the lower center console enough to see water in the floor under the console, but I can't see where the water is coming from. I got nervous I was going to break a clip or dash panel, or pinch/short a wire for the climate control, so I chickened out and put everything back together. I am in the process of taking car to a body shop to "wait for rain". After I get this issue professionally fixed, I will come back and post an update.

2008 Saturn Vue 3.6L V6, 211k miles, still running strong. 2nd owner. Replaced 6T70 transmission at 205k.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help CarolinaVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-19-2018, 10:15 PM   #5
CarolinaVue

2008 VUE 3.6L

Update - doubt this will help anyone but just in case - the problem/solution was unique to my car. I ended up taking to a body shop (reputable and trusted).

My left rear quarter panel was damaged in a parking lot fender bender (no insurance claim). Due to age/mileage on the car, minor damage, and the car being driven by my 20-year-old, I decided not to repair. Unbeknownst to me, the quarter panel broke at a weld, which created a leak path into the cabin. Every time it rained, water would leak into the rear of my car through the broken weld. The water remained invisible despite saturating all the foam padding underneath the carpet, and was visible only in the front floorboards. I had to have the entire interior pulled out and dried for a week, then put back together and repair the broken weld on the quarter panel. Cost me about $1200 total.

Moral of the story - if a leak is not obvious (no water trail, can't replicate with a hose, etc), don't just assume the leak must be near the wet spot. It never dawned on me that a dented rear quarter panel could cause water in my front floor board.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!