SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2018, 04:29 AM   #1
L200StillKickn
L200StillKickn has a spectacular aura aboutL200StillKickn has a spectacular aura aboutL200StillKickn has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Wrench 2002 L200 Sedan Diverter Valve Melted, Exhaust Issue?

2002 Saturn L200 2.2L
California emissions exhaust system (Do not live in CA)

I discovered that the diverter valve melted/burned from the side that connects to the hose that goes to the check valve & the hose was missing. While driving my breaks gave out to the point of barely working. Turns out there was extremely hot *air coming out of* the check valve & it melted a hole in the break hose. Replaced the diverter valve & its connecting hose. Within a few minutes of driving the new diverter valve melted on both ends connected to the hoses & destroyed the diverter as well. Found out the check valve was also broken so I replaced that, then the car wouldn't start. Checked the exhaust pipe after removing the check valve & there was no air coming out. The air was releasing out of the check valve again, which means it's is really coming from the exhaust manifold. The air pump is working. I've done some research about possible causes, but would like input & direct communication with people about this. Any help is appreciated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to L200StillKickn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help L200StillKickn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
L200StillKickn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2018, 12:24 PM   #2
02 LW300
02 LW300 is a jewel in the rough02 LW300 is a jewel in the rough02 LW300 is a jewel in the rough

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: 2002 L200 Sedan Diverter Valve Melted, Exhaust Issue?

Sounds like you have too much restriction in your exhaust system. Usually a plugged catalytic converter is the problem, converters are killed by engines that burn oil. You have to solve the reason or replacing the converter is a temporary repair.

2002 L200/5 loaded, loving my stick shift car now with KYB struts and adjustable rear control arms.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 02 LW300's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 02 LW300 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
02 LW300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 12:35 PM   #3
L200StillKickn
L200StillKickn has a spectacular aura aboutL200StillKickn has a spectacular aura aboutL200StillKickn has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02 LW300 View Post
Sounds like you have too much restriction in your exhaust system. Usually a plugged catalytic converter is the problem, converters are killed by engines that burn oil. You have to solve the reason or replacing the converter is a temporary repair.

Thanks for the reply & I believe you池e absolutely right about the exhaust. I知 ordering the catalytic converter along with something else I know I need for another issue. And thanks for the info about the oil, I actually forgot I have a problem with the oil pan with everything else I致e been dealing with. In your opinion, can a leaky oil pan cause the oil to burn?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help L200StillKickn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-18-2018, 03:00 PM   #4
02 LW300
02 LW300 is a jewel in the rough02 LW300 is a jewel in the rough02 LW300 is a jewel in the rough

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

No, it is usually valve seals or rings that cause oil consumption.

2002 L200/5 loaded, loving my stick shift car now with KYB struts and adjustable rear control arms.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 02 LW300's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 02 LW300 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
02 LW300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 05:07 PM   #5
L200StillKickn

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02 LW300 View Post
No, it is usually valve seals or rings that cause oil consumption.

Ok, I was asking because I recall a mechanic telling me the leak was coming from the oil pan.

FYI, I知 a woman & I知 learning 🙂 I actually enjoy fixing this car up too.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-18-2018, 08:35 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Man or woman, crawling under the car will confirm or deny oil pan leaks. A hydraulic jack or scissor jack with a jack stand for safety will allow checking under the engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 08:37 PM   #7
soulsurvives
soulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to all

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by L200StillKickn View Post
Ok, I was asking because I recall a mechanic telling me the leak was coming from the oil pan.

FYI, I知 a woman & I知 learning 🙂 I actually enjoy fixing this car up too.
You could have an oil pan leak, but oil from there would not get into the exhaust.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to soulsurvives's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help soulsurvives reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
soulsurvives is offline   Reply With Quote