SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech

Old 11-30-2022, 02:49 PM   #1
Preston1138
Preston1138 is on a distinguished road

Default BCM Year Interchange.

Just a quick question, I have an 03 l200 2.2 base, and from what I've gathered the bcm is on the fritz (fuel and temperature gauge intermittently works, car sometimes dies out of random, odometer reads 205,xxx miles and never changes, key less entry hardly ever works)

What I'm wondering is: does it need a bcm from an 03 or does an 01/02 work as well? I searched the forums and didn't find an answer definitively stating one way or the other, granted I might of overlooked it.
Preston1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2022, 12:46 AM   #2
02 LW300
Advanced Member
02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold

2002 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: BCM Year Interchange.

I actually tried a different bcm in my 2000 LS1 this weekend to see if I could get the odometer to work. This car says 694,*** miles and both the odometer and trip meter do not work. The oil change minder does work so that is what we have been going by for maintenance. I had two used 4 cylinder BCMs from cars that I have parted out. The one that matched the closest said w/ RKE just like the one in my car. That is for remote keyless entry and it came from a 2003 L200. The one that did not say RKE came from a base 2000 LS with no options.

I did the ten minute relearn three times from the factory service manual and the car started and the odometer worked as well as the trip meter.

However at the top of my driveway I noticed the the airbag light had come on. I continued my test drive to town and filled the fuel tank thrilled to finally be able to get real fuel mileage numbers on this car. Or so I thought, after scanning the airbag codes I discovered that by changing the BCM I had disabled the airbags due to the VIN not matching what was stored in the RCM. Restraint control module. I might be able to resolve the VIN mismatch by replacing the RCM but I chose to live with no odometer and have airbags for my granddaughter. According the the FSM that was the only way to correct the problem. I did not save the RSM from the 2003 since the airbags had deployed when the car had rolled several times.

Lesson learned on the next L200 the I part out if there is one more. Save all the modules and keep them together. The PCM does not store the VIN just the BCM and the RCM. I have a complete module set that are in a L300 parts car but the BCM is different on the V6 cars.
2002 LW 300 loaded, only 95,000 original miles!
2002 L200/5 Loaded, 275,000 miles
2000 LS1, TMU love those bcm failures.
02 LW300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 11:14 AM   #3
Preston1138
Preston1138 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: BCM Year Interchange.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02 LW300 View Post
I actually tried a different bcm in my 2000 LS1 this weekend to see if I could get the odometer to work. This car says 694,*** miles and both the odometer and trip meter do not work. The oil change minder does work so that is what we have been going by for maintenance. I had two used 4 cylinder BCMs from cars that I have parted out. The one that matched the closest said w/ RKE just like the one in my car. That is for remote keyless entry and it came from a 2003 L200. The one that did not say RKE came from a base 2000 LS with no options.

I did the ten minute relearn three times from the factory service manual and the car started and the odometer worked as well as the trip meter.

However at the top of my driveway I noticed the the airbag light had come on. I continued my test drive to town and filled the fuel tank thrilled to finally be able to get real fuel mileage numbers on this car. Or so I thought, after scanning the airbag codes I discovered that by changing the BCM I had disabled the airbags due to the VIN not matching what was stored in the RCM. Restraint control module. I might be able to resolve the VIN mismatch by replacing the RCM but I chose to live with no odometer and have airbags for my granddaughter. According the the FSM that was the only way to correct the problem. I did not save the RSM from the 2003 since the airbags had deployed when the car had rolled several times.

Lesson learned on the next L200 the I part out if there is one more. Save all the modules and keep them together. The PCM does not store the VIN just the BCM and the RCM. I have a complete module set that are in a L300 parts car but the BCM is different on the V6 cars.
I was actually going to edit my post about that too, my airbag light, service soon light, and security light are all on constantly. It also has a aftermarket stereo and sub for some reason. I didn't install any of it it came with the car and since it was free I wasn't gonna complain.

Last edited by Preston1138; 12-01-2022 at 11:24 AM. Reason: More info
Preston1138 is offline   Reply With Quote