SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2012, 02:22 PM   #1
scalemechanic
scalemechanic has a spectacular aura aboutscalemechanic has a spectacular aura about

2000 SL2
Default Quick Struts

OK, i've got the wheel bearing replaced, all is ok on that.

The voc school instructor tells me the the front tire wear may be caused by worn springs and struts and advised me to replace those before i get tires and an alignment. He said the front end of the car is sitting lower than it should and the ride is uncomfortable to say the least.

I agree with him and plan to change the struts myself useing quick struts.
I searched online for lower priced quick struts and found names like; Prime Choice, Alliance Auto, Dearborn Axel and MAC. They all had Quick Struts for $150.00 + or - $15.00 a pair. Any suggestions??

Are these any good?? And should the bolt hole be slotted to adjust for camber??

Once again thanks for any help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to scalemechanic's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help scalemechanic reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
scalemechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2012, 03:00 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: Quick Struts

Lower bolt hole in strut must be slotted or you will be having the camber bolt issue. Raybestos is selling a quick strut, and there is some kind of rebate deal. 93.00 ea at RockAuto.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:21 PM   #3
budward
budward is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Lower bolt hole in strut must be slotted or you will be having the camber bolt issue. Raybestos is selling a quick strut, and there is some kind of rebate deal. 93.00 ea at RockAuto.
Yep, I just put 4 of the Raybestos Quick Struts on my 96 SL2. No problems so far!

1996 SL2 bought with 148k
new motor @ 220k
now at 310k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to budward's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help budward reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
budward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:25 PM   #4
velleguy73
velleguy73 is on a distinguished road

2001 SL
2002 SL

I'm happy with my Raybestos parts. In a sea of good sounding brand names, theirs is kind of the scary. Given a choice on rockauto parts, I choose the Raybestos ones. Things tend to be painted and last a little longer before rusting.

Taking a shock assembly with spring compressors isn't a big deal. If the whole enchalada is worn out, it's a better value to go with the quick strut.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to velleguy73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help velleguy73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
velleguy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:11 PM   #5
scalemechanic
scalemechanic has a spectacular aura aboutscalemechanic has a spectacular aura about

2000 SL2

Thanks for the info on the Rockauto rebate and info on the Raybestos quick struts.

I'm told my front shocks and springs are really bad (and i feel it), so i'm going to order online some brand of quick struts next week, maybe the Raybestos. I've seen others online for as little as $129.99 for a front pair with a lifetime guarantee. I'm tempted. As OldNuc says be sure the lower strut bolt hole is slotted for camber adjustment.

With my 2000 SL with now 118,000 miles (i bought it 3 yrs ago at about 100,00 miles), it seems to have been one problem after another. It's a good thing i'm retired because i would have been without a car many days.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help scalemechanic reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-05-2012, 11:03 PM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

I would only buy a name brand suspension part and run away form low cost parts that are markedly below name brand prices. These things are supposed to last for 75,000+ miles or so and the cheap ones will be finished before 40,000 miles. The shock cartridge is what dies early in the cheap ones.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-06-2012, 11:03 AM   #7
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Are the Raybestos pre-slotted for camber? Just want to be sure - may pick some up while they are on rebate.
Thanks in advance!

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:48 AM   #8
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Do not know but velleguy73 might. The vast majority of replacement strut cartridges and assemblies are indeed slotted though.

It is hard to believe that they would not be slotted.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-06-2012, 05:21 PM   #9
budward

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
Are the Raybestos pre-slotted for camber? Just want to be sure - may pick some up while they are on rebate.
Thanks in advance!
Yes they are.

new motor @ 220k
now at 310k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help budward reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-07-2012, 10:43 AM   #10
Recycled Saturn
Advanced Member
Recycled Saturn has a spectacular aura aboutRecycled Saturn has a spectacular aura aboutRecycled Saturn has a spectacular aura about

There are some off-brand ones on ebay for insanley cheap ($130 for a pair of fronts) but they could be pieces of junk. I would like to hear from someone who has tried them

1998 SL2-AMR Strut Bar, AEM CAI, and 119,XXX

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Recycled Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Recycled Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Recycled Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:51 PM   #11
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Cheap, off brand = not a good idea for long time service in most cases.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-09-2012, 04:22 PM   #12
scalemechanic

2000 SL2

This morning i went up to my favorite JY just in case they had a S series with fairly new struts. For a moment i thought i found an almost brand new pair, but it turned out the 99 Saturn they were on was a V6 model (engine gone) and the struts were different. Too bad, i could have had them for $50.00 for the pair.

So anyway, later i ordered the the Raybestos Quick Struts from Rockauto and downloaded the rebate form. After the rebate and Rockauto coupon code, including shipping the price will be $177.29

Does anyone know if new bolts and nuts come with it??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-09-2012, 04:36 PM   #13
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalemechanic View Post
This morning i went up to my favorite JY just in case they had a S series with fairly new struts. For a moment i thought i found an almost brand new pair, but it turned out the 99 Saturn they were on was a V6 model (engine gone) and the struts were different. Too bad, i could have had them for $50.00 for the pair.

Flag on the play...

No S-Series had a V6, and no other Saturn had a model year '99. It was probably a '00 L-Series, and you're right, the struts wouldn't have worked on your car if that's the case.

SaturnSeries.net owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:31 PM   #14
budward

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalemechanic View Post

So anyway, later i ordered the the Raybestos Quick Struts from Rockauto and downloaded the rebate form. After the rebate and Rockauto coupon code, including shipping the price will be $177.29

Does anyone know if new bolts and nuts come with it??
New nuts for the top.
No new bolts.

new motor @ 220k
now at 310k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-09-2012, 09:13 PM   #15
scalemechanic

2000 SL2

PurdueGuy, all i know it was a Saturn Sedan, seemed bigger, was stacked on top of another Saturn, had A V6 emblem on the back and the JY wrote on the windows, as they do, "99, bad trans". My error, i'm not that familiar with the different models.

Anyway, i have another question. Can i use the lower stut bolts from my present original struts on the new Raybestos struts with the elongated holes for camber adjustment??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-09-2012, 09:42 PM   #16
budward

1996 SL2

@scalemechanic, I used my old bolts with no problems.

new motor @ 220k
now at 310k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!