SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2007, 05:48 PM   #1
DAS
DAS is on a distinguished road

Default Unhappy VTi Owners

All VTi owners with problems should file a complaint and ask for a defect investigation at www.nhtsa.dot.gov.
24 Saturn owners with timing belt problems got action!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DAS's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DAS reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DAS is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2007, 02:41 PM   #2
DAS

Default Re: Unhappy VTi Owners

After delving further into the NHTSA site I found a note that consumers can petition NHTSA to open a defect investigation. Though the article doesn't tell how to start the petition. Anyone know how?
Also, scrolled though the defect reports sent to date and 93 owners have filed reports on the drive Train or Transmission on the '03 Vue alone. Suspect there are more for '02 and '04.
Saturn's response to the problematic VTi has been too little and too late!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DAS's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DAS reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-15-2007, 03:04 PM   #3
Ritz
Master Member
Ritz has a spectacular aura aboutRitz has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE 3.5L

Perhaps Charlie should put in big bold letters on the main forum page:

DO NOT BUY A VTI VUE.

That would save a lot of time on the forums. We all know the VTI is a piece of shiznit.

Best,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ritz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ritz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 03:16 PM   #4
DAS

that would great-- but what about us poor vti owners that are stuck with the worthless piece of crap?

Tell you what-- it'll be a cold day in hell before I buy another GM product or recommend one!

Its not the VTi alone... the overall fit, finish etc. is awful. Drove a Toyota High
Highlander and was astounded at how tight, comfortable and polished it was!

With expected residual value, it definitely beats a Saturn longterm!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DAS's Reputation
Old 05-15-2007, 03:42 PM   #5
Ritz
Master Member

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
that would great-- but what about us poor vti owners that are stuck with the worthless piece of crap?

Tell you what-- it'll be a cold day in hell before I buy another GM product or recommend one!

Its not the VTi alone... the overall fit, finish etc. is awful. Drove a Toyota High

With expected residual value, it definitely beats a Saturn longterm!!!!
I don't think anyone is going to argue the point. VTI owners definitely got the shaft.

Fit and finish on our VUE (a 2006) is average. It's not the worst I've ever seen, but it's not anything near class leading. And yes, residual value is pretty bad, even without the VTI. If you switch cars every couple of years, the VUE is not for you.

Best,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ritz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ritz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-15-2007, 05:34 PM   #6
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
It's not totally worthless, especially if the transmission is still functioning.

Quote:
... the overall fit, finish etc. is awful. Drove a Toyota High
That's what I'd expect for an extra $10,000.

The VTi was a failure. What do you expect Saturn to do? Buy back all VTi VUEs? Fix them all for free? There's probably nothing they could do as a preventative measure (in terms of a recall fix). There's no magic wiring harness or lubricant that will fix the tranny. They probably can't swap it with a different type of tranny due to policies and regulations (it would throw off the EPA certifications, etc.).

What about the people who don't have problems? Give them all free cars?

If I was king of GM and found no reasonable way to improve or fix the VTi, I would simply offer an extended warranty (which Saturn did) and leave it at that. I would have given a longer warranty, though.

Past Saturns: 97 SL2, 01 SC2, 04 VUE, 08 Astra, 02 L200.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spencerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 06:23 PM   #7
Ritz
Master Member

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerb View Post
It's not totally worthless, especially if the transmission is still functioning.

That's what I'd expect for an extra $10,000.

The VTi was a failure. What do you expect Saturn to do? Buy back all VTi VUEs? Fix them all for free? There's probably nothing they could do as a preventative measure (in terms of a recall fix). There's no magic wiring harness or lubricant that will fix the tranny. They probably can't swap it with a different type of tranny due to policies and regulations (it would throw off the EPA certifications, etc.).

What about the people who don't have problems? Give them all free cars?

If I was king of GM and found no reasonable way to improve or fix the VTi, I would simply offer an extended warranty (which Saturn did) and leave it at that. I would have given a longer warranty, though.
The right thing to do, but probably not the profitable thing, would have been to recognize the problem early on and offer existing owners 2 options:

1. We'll buy your vehicle back now for X dollars. OR
2. We'll extend the warranty to Y (75,000 miles is a joke. How many people do YOU know who only expect their car to last 75K miles?).
3. Offer some incentive to dealers taking these lemons in to render them inoperable or replace the transmission rather than transfer the problem to the next sucker who buys it.

They did what I consider the smarmy/sleazy corporate thing. They quietly replaced bad units under a hushed extended warranty for existing owners. That effectively fcuked future owners who unwittingly wound up with these paperweights later on. That's just bad business, but I can see it being a compelling option when beancounters call the shots.

Best,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ritz's Reputation
Old 05-15-2007, 06:28 PM   #8
DAS

You're right the length of the warranty is definitly too short... thats from a company that puts customers first.
Here's what I think they should do. Offer VTi owners a truly resonable trade in value or a cut in a new VUE price that makes up for loss in value for the VTi. (Our Saturn dealer admitted he didn't want used VTi Vues on his lot, says they're too much trouble.)
OR
extend the warranty to 100,000 miles like that offered on new VUES
OR
warranty the replacement for a reasonable amount of time! Instead Saturn gives it to owners, we're responsible for 5 yrs/75,000 miles... then you're on your own. They fail to tell anyone that the replacement transmission is the same piece of garbage that could fail or maybe not as soon as you drive it off the lot.
You believe that Saturn really puts customers first... HA HA HA HA!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DAS's Reputation
Old 05-15-2007, 06:56 PM   #9
mellissam
mellissam will become famous soon enoughmellissam will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 2.2L

From a purely corporate-centric view, they should round up all these VTI owners, and offer them stock in a Indonesian gold play, or take them for helicopter rides and drop them into the middle of the Pacific....
Given there are laws against the above, they should tell them there is a recall, bring their Vues in and rebadge them Yugo....tell them there is new dealer network to handle any future claims....
With the breadth of their screw-up, the warranty extension was in fact a notice to VTI owners to sell....sell....sell. A little research would have me runnning for the hills....replacing transmission with same piece of dung....

I love my Silven, but if he was found to have a fatal flaw, bye bye.....

'Silven'

K&N / Sheep seats / Run Brds / Roof Rack / Fog Lps / Trailer Hitch / Air Horns / LEDs / Power Inv. / Cool Blues

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mellissam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mellissam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mellissam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 02:47 PM   #10
binkybaby
binkybaby is on a distinguished road

yeah that's what i did M, i didn't have any problems with my original '03 VTi AWD but traded it in for the current Binkymobile, since i was concerned about potential failure. No rubber band tranny, just raw power, great looks and rock solid reliability.
......makes me wonder about all those Nissans out there with CVT's. They sure have gone CVT crazy of late! Doesn't matter if they're "advanced" or not, i still won't trust one of those kinds of transmissions.

-sXe for life-

Former Saturn owner but still a Saturn Fan~!

2010 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to binkybaby's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help binkybaby reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
binkybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 02:58 PM   #11
homerec130
homerec130 is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L
2006 VUE 3.5L

We're trading my wife's 04 VTI for a new 08 Vue. she'll get my 06 V6 FWD and I get the new one. It's her idea to swap, not mine. this is the first time we've swapped out new vehicles in alsmost 26 years. Up until now, whoever was driving the vehicle that got replaced, got the new vehicle.

BTW, in my glove compartment (as well as several other places) I have a copy of the letter explaining the 5 yr/75000 mile warranty and the key words that the warranty IS transferrable. The link on the saturn web site also says that the warranty is transferrable.

Oh well, just waiting for the new one to arrive. We may take the 04 on one last trip to Phoenix and let it sit in the parking lot while we're gone for a week. I'll leave mine in the driveway (won't fit in the garage - too much junk and my workshop is in there also).

Homer

Paul "Homer" Simpson
15 Ford Fiesta, Gray
06 Vue 3.5L, FWD, Storm Grey (Wife's Ride)

08 Vue 3.6L, FWD, Sunburst Orange - RIP 6T70

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to homerec130's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help homerec130 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
homerec130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 03:02 PM   #12
mellissam
mellissam will become famous soon enoughmellissam will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by binkybaby View Post
......makes me wonder about all those Nissans out there with CVT's. They sure have gone CVT crazy of late! Doesn't matter if they're "advanced" or not, i still won't trust one of those kinds of transmissions.
Heck, I never owned a VTI transmission, and I literally cringe every time I see a Nissan commercial spout the CVT as a selling point! I'm waiting for the shoe to drop and there be a huge recall on CVT transmissions....true they're in lighter duty cars, but I do worry about the longevity of those rubber band transmissions (steel bands).....

'Silven'

K&N / Sheep seats / Run Brds / Roof Rack / Fog Lps / Trailer Hitch / Air Horns / LEDs / Power Inv. / Cool Blues

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help mellissam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-16-2007, 03:08 PM   #13
Gerry Proctor
Master Member
Gerry Proctor has a spectacular aura aboutGerry Proctor has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
2008 SKY Red Line

The VTi in the Ion has performed quite well. Problems in the Ion are comparitively unknown. Search the Ion forum. Virtually nothing, which, considering most people come here to carp about their car problems, is pretty remarkable. My Ion has VTi and I really like it over a step-gear transmission.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gerry Proctor's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gerry Proctor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gerry Proctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 09:41 PM   #14
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

You really should just learn how to drive a stick. When's the last time anyone had problems with a manual?

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 10:51 PM   #15
beach109
Advanced Member
beach109 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellissam View Post
Heck, I never owned a VTI transmission, and I literally cringe every time I see a Nissan commercial spout the CVT as a selling point! I'm waiting for the shoe to drop and there be a huge recall on CVT transmissions....true they're in lighter duty cars, but I do worry about the longevity of those rubber band transmissions (steel bands).....
Nissan's are largely terrific, and with every new iteration, their tuning of the CVT only gets better and better--case in point vehicles like the new Altima. Just about everyone loves them as well, and raves after a test drive, so it's very clearly an issue a manufacturer being extremely good at building one and another "trying it out" and never getting very far without failures and problems.

The CVT is a beneficial design for many reasons, it just has to be designed and tuned properly--just like any other conventional geared transmission. If anyone has that experience and is an expert, with great CVT performances, it's Nissan.

The VTi, well, just consider that an experiment gone bad, without proper attention or time given...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to beach109's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help beach109 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
beach109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 12:04 AM   #16
mellissam

2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach109 View Post
Nissan's are largely terrific, and with every new iteration, their tuning of the CVT only gets better and better--case in point vehicles like the new Altima. ...
I agree that GM's effort wasn't there, but I've heard bad stories of CVT's on Murano's....I also agree Nissan's effort is there, but as a consumer I want perfection...I don't want to worry that my transmission is only going to make it to 100k-150k, but I expect 250k+....My Hydra-Matic may be old school, but I trust if I keep it healthy (reg oil changes), it will last me to 250k.....or longer...As far as I know, it wasn't that geared transmissions are bad, they just suck a little more gas...if I keep a light foot, it should last a long long time.....

In my mind they haven't perfected the steel belt yet...the weak link.

'Silven'

REWARD EXCELLENCE!