SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2005, 12:58 AM   #1
Bob K
Bob K has a spectacular aura aboutBob K has a spectacular aura about

1995 SL2
Default Need Help Diagnosing a '95 SL2 Clutch Problem

I have a '95 SL2 with 125,000 miles that, I think, needs a new clutch. However, I've had some funny symptoms with the pedal that make me think I might have a hydraulic problem, too. I'm trying to figure out if I have a hydraulic problem, a clutch wear problem, or a combination of the two. Here are the symptoms:
  • Clutch starts to engage when the pedal is about halfway up.
  • The bulk of the engagement occurs when the pedal is near the top, and this is noticeably higher than before.
  • I usually get a shudder while engaging the clutch in 1st gear.
  • The clutch will regularly slip in 5th gear while climbing steep hills at freeway speed.
  • I can accelerate pretty hard in 1st through 4th as long as I am judicious about how I engage the clutch (i.e. can't dump the clutch).
  • The car will stall--no clutch slipping--if I let the clutch out with the brake on in first gear.
  • Here's the weird kicker: About every 20th time I start the car in the morning, the clutch engages almost completely when the clutch pedal is just off the floor. After driving it for several miles, it returns to the "normal" condition and engages when the pedal is much higher.
The first 6 symptoms seem to clearly indicate that I have a worn clutch or that a fluid has seeped into the clutch and is causing the clutch to slip. The 7th symptom seems to be a common indication of a failing hydraulic system (Yes, the fluid reservior is full.) But when I combine the two, I'm left wondering if the hydraulic system could be causing all my problems by not allowing the clutch to fully engage.

Questions:
  1. Can I tell, without disassembling the clutch, if fluid has leaked into the housing? How often do fluid leaks cause Saturn clutches to slip?
  2. Would the automatic adjust of a hydraulic clutch occasionally cause the low pedal engagement if the clutch is worn? Or, is it the indication of a hydraulic system problem in addition to my worn-clutch problem?
I've already purchased a new LUK clutch package, but would prefer not to replace everything if my hydraulic system is at fault. I consider myself very judicious with a clutch and frankly I'm surprised that it is slipping at the 125,000 mile mark, especially since others go much longer before replacing clutches. How would you diagnose this?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bob K's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bob K reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2005, 11:42 AM   #2
katarn444
katarn444 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Need Help Diagnosing a '95 SL2 Clutch Problem

That sounds exactly what happened to me. I went to replace the clutch and it had more meat on it then the clutch I bought to replace it. I am still not sure what was wrong with it but the clutch was not worn out. I replaced the clutch the throw out bearing and the hydraulics and everything is back to normal. I do not know what part was worn out. I did not see any leakage into the bell housing.

I have read about several people that did the same thing as I did.
So I know that I did not answer your questions but just telling you some of my experiences. Also I have read of Saturn clutchs lasting 180,000-200,000 miles.
I would say that my original clutch looked like it had another 70,000 miles left on it.

Good luck
Katarn

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to katarn444's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help katarn444 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
katarn444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 12:01 PM   #3
wkobe88822
wkobe88822 is on a distinguished road

looks to me like you are having a hyd problem in th master or slave cylinder

wayne

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wkobe88822's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wkobe88822 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wkobe88822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 03:43 PM   #4
Jmmcool
Jmmcool is on a distinguished road

1993 SC2

not enough fluid

1993 SC-2
1987 Nissan Stanza
Yates Chevrolet Cadillac - Manistee, MI [url]http://www.yatesauto.com/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jmmcool's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jmmcool reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jmmcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 09:48 PM   #5
Bob K

1995 SL2

The reservior is full. Additionally, I discovered that I have a transmission fluid leak where the shift linkage enters the shifter tower. Any chance this leak has migrated to the clutch disk and is causing my slippage?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Bob K reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-07-2005, 07:24 AM   #6
Craig
Advanced Member
Craig is on a distinguished road

My '95 SW2 has a similar problem with clutch slippage; the OEM one went 170K before I replaced it with a new LUK unit. 20K later it was starting to slip...I though I might have ended up with a bad pressure plate, so I bought another LUK kit and installed that along with a resurfaced flywheel. Well, here it is 20K+ later and it's starting to do the same thing!
Something else I noticed is that my son's '94 SL2 with the exact same kit has a firmer pedal and engages with a lot more authority than my '95...for some reason, the '95 just feels a lot softer. We also have a '93 SL2 and a '94 SW2, and both of those have the same feel as his '94 SL2. I've tried swapping slave cylinders and even shortened the actuation rod slightly to no avail. Don't know what it is about the '95, although I have noticed that some of the later cars I've tried also have a soft clutch feel to them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Craig's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Craig reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 10:59 PM   #7
mitchfortier
mitchfortier is on a distinguished road

1995 Saturn SL2

The "high" cluth pedal which eventually turned into a "no resistance and cannot disengage cluth to get into gear" issue turned out to be a slave cylindar..according to SAturn of Nashua. Well.they "highly" recomended i replace a clutch that wasn't slipping raising the bill to $1500+ (the friggin car is worth $2000 for gods sake) MUCH higher than just replacing the slave.

So i checked around and talked to my regular mechanic and made the decision to have them replace ONLY the slave (which is all they said had failed) They proceded to make me sign paperwoprk that said the warrenty did not apply because i didn't fololow thier recomendations. I said fine but should have told them to take their paper work and #(*&@&#^*&@^#

Anyway..my question is..waht do you all think about the necessity of replacing Clutch Plates and other such Bull*****le when it was the Slave that failed?

Secondly..how long do YOU think the slave SHOULD last if I drive conservativly?

thanks in advance..can't wait to see what is said.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mitchfortier's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mitchfortier reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mitchfortier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 01:25 AM   #8
tabb
tabb is on a distinguished road

Engine racing on hard acceleration shifting from 1st to 2nd??? Your clutch is slipping.

If you go factory.....the factory clutch disc + pressure plate are slightly bigger and stronger from 97-99. You can retrofit by installing a flywheel out of one of these years or you can use your existing flywheel but it must be chamfered/machined to fit the new disc.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tabb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tabb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 10:35 PM   #9
Bob K

1995 SL2

Thanks for the inputs so far. I'm still a little stumped, though, since I'm getting symptoms that point to a clutch slipping and bad hydraulics.

Even if the clutch was slipping, how does that explain the occasional super-low pedal engagement point and floppy clutch pedal that rectifies itself after 5-10 minutes?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-06-2006, 11:22 PM   #10
firevswater5
firevswater5 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

Since it is a hydraulic clutch, you can't judge the amount of wear on it by where it engages. With old mechanical clutches, you could tell if they were wearing out if they started releasing late, but not with these babies.

Since you are having some slippage, I would say the clutch itself probably needs to be done. It could be a hydraulics problem, but not likely if there is slippage. Expect replacing sometime in the near future

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to firevswater5's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help firevswater5 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
firevswater5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 09:24 PM   #11
Bob K

1995 SL2

I'm still inclined to think that I have two problems: failing hydraulics and a slipping clutch. What else besides failing hydraulics would explain why the clutch sometimes engages about 2" off the floor and is very floppy when fully released? It only happens about twice per month and the clutch slipping symptoms kinda come and go.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-08-2006, 09:34 PM   #12
andy_95sl2
Master Member
andy_95sl2 is on a distinguished road

you probably need a new hydraulic system, cuz it sounds like its not working right.

2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon -> daily & toy =)
2009 BMW 128i -> sold
2003 VW GTI 1.8T -> wrecked
1998 Saturn SL2 -> parted out
1995 Saturn SL2 -> sold
1995 Saturn SL2 -> sold

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to andy_95sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help andy_95sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
andy_95sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 02:19 AM   #13
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Bad hydraulics will NOT cause clutch slip! Think about it.

Your fourth bullet point is the big clue. Clutch slip, esp. if it's predictable, means the clutch friction surfaces are at/near the end of their life. Last time I wore out a clutch, I was able to drive, carefully, on it for several months. But that's just delaying the inevitable.

You may want to have the hydraulic system replaced as well. It's replaced as a complete system. Oh, and the biggie - if you're removing the tranny, it's def. worth thinking about welding the diff pin (search our archives for "diff pin", and you'll know why).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 11:04 AM   #14
Bob K

1995 SL2

I disagree. If a hydraulic system does not permit the plates to fully engage (due to a blockage, worn parts, etc), then it seems quite logical that a hydraulic system could allow the clutch to slip under load. Theoretical, of course, and I would bet that a worn clutch is the cause of my slippage. My clutch slipping is not predictable either. Some days it'll grab and hold just fine under heavy acceleration in all gears. Other days not so much.

However, a slipping clutch still does not address all the problems. In the same way that bad hydraulics will likely not cause a clutch to slip, neither will worn plates cause a clutch pedal to occasionally engage two inches off the floor and then flop around for a few minutes until the car warms up. Theoretical, of course. Even if it was just coincidence, the odd pedal action coincided with the onset of the clutch slipping.

It doesn't sound like my combination of symptoms is common and I'm going to have to roll the dice to find out which one it is. In an odd sort of way, I'm looking forward to finding out what's causing all the trouble.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-23-2007, 11:06 PM   #15
Bob K

1995 SL2

It looks like I have two separate problems afterall.

I replaced the clutch master/slave cylinder with an OEM unit and that has rectified my occasional low pedal engagement. However, I still have some clutch slippage in 5th gear and some chatter when engaging the clutch in first gear.

It looks like I'll be replacing the clutch as well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-23-2007, 11:59 PM   #16
mgordon1100
mgordon1100 will become famous soon enough

1997 SC2

I'm don't want to completely hijack this thread for myself, but it seemed like a logical place to post my problem.

Yesterday I did some pretty fast clutch work to get out on the highway pretty quick (and to test out the car's power), and when I got either into 4th or 5th, the revs got way up there and stayed. I put it back into neutral, let the revs go back down and put it back into 5th. Is this clutch slippage? After reading some things here, I tend to think it is.

I'm asking because I've never experienced it before. I had 165,000 miles on my 98. The differential pin dropped out, but the clutch was top notch all the way. My 02 had 200K and never a clutch problem. If I'm experiencing clutch problems with 76k on my new car, then what the hell? Why is it that people blow through their damn clutches like that? It breaks my heart to see that people don't know how to drive their cars. This one will be much happier with me as the owner.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mgordon1100's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mgordon1100 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mgordon1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 01:06 AM   #17
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

A slipping clutch is when you give the car gas, driving in gear, and the RPM's rise but you speed does not go up to match the RPM increase.

Basicly the engine goes but the car does not.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 01:26 AM   #18
mgordon1100
mgordon1100 will become famous soon enough

1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssicarman View Post
A slipping clutch is when you give the car gas, driving in gear, and the RPM's rise but you speed does not go up to match the RPM increase.

Basicly the engine goes but the car does not.
Yeah, that's what I was saying. Exactly. I just didn't think much of it at the time, except, I'll never do that again. I've never had a clutch go bad on me. It didn't slip at all today, but from my experience so far, driving the car hard, will make the clutch slip. That kills me that a clutch is wearing with only 76,000 on it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mgordon1100's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mgordon1100 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mgordon1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 01:49 AM   #19
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgordon1100 View Post
Yeah, that's what I was saying. Exactly. I just didn't think much of it at the time, except, I'll never do that again. I've never had a clutch go bad on me. It didn't slip at all today, but from my experience so far, driving the car hard, will make the clutch slip. That kills me that a clutch is wearing with only 76,000 on it.
the fact that its slipping could be a worn out clutch, or a bad finger in the pressure plate. either way, u have to do the same to replace them. Im sure theres a how-to here. i got a new clutch, pressure plate, alighnment tool, and bearing fro 145 at autozone

Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rc1488's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rc1488 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 11:54 AM   #20
BoDuke70
BoDuke70 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-3 Quad Coupe
1997 SC2

Personally would always replace the master and slave assembly. Whether you do it with stock parts or not. Shift tower gasket p/n is 21001244, good for all S series.

A different kind of parts guy...now in a bow tie!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BoDuke70's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BoDuke70 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BoDuke70 is offline   Reply With Quote