SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Reference Forums > Miscellaneous Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2001, 05:33 AM   #1
Heartbeat - '95 SL2
Heartbeat - '95 SL2 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2
Default Throttle Body and Idle Air Control Valve Cleaning

There've been plenty of posts about how to clean both the throttle body and idle air control valve, but I have one question. In the Chilton manual, it says to avoid getting carb cleaner on the idle air control valve, and to remove it if necessary. In the picture where the hands are spraying off the carbon, it looks like they've removed it. I remember reading someone here actually soaks the idle air control valve while the throttle body is on the car, with no ill effects. How important is this? I'm going to do this right, and remove the throttle body. I was planning on getting both sparkly clean . . .

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Heartbeat - '95 SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Heartbeat - '95 SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2001, 07:40 AM   #2
David 93 SL2m
Master Member
David 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the rough

2004 VUE 2.2L
2007 ION-3 Sedan
Attention

You will go into shock when you look into the intake manifold and see years/miles of carbon buildup and gunk inside... When you get the throttle body off, hold a flashlight in one hand and a telephone in the other hand so you can call 911 after you shine light in there!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to David 93 SL2m's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help David 93 SL2m reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-02-2001, 09:07 PM   #3
therapist
therapist is on a distinguished road

heartbeat, it was i, therapist who posted that soaking of the IAC valve with it still in the throttle body. it really is up to you if you want to soak it. if you do, don't let it stand for long since the throttle body cleaner might ruin the o-ring seal though in my case it never did. i usually soak it between 45sec to 1 min, run the engine then spray some more. it really cleans it almost as good as removing it from the body. one time i used saturn/ GM top engine cleaner to soak, now that ruined my IAC valve and ate through the o-ring seal. goodluck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to therapist's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help therapist reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-02-2001, 09:18 PM   #4
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Heart beat
Do a search of the threads for cleaning the t-body I thing I've done a few descriptions on how I do it. If you can't find anything let me know. If you use a product specificly designed for cleaning air intake systems you should be ok.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-03-2001, 06:06 PM   #5
Qlara
Master Member
Qlara is on a distinguished road

Dizzy

I see the same thing when taking off the T-body, looks like a mine inside my intake manifold.

So cleaning the T-body only is like dealing with the tip of an iceberg....any effective ways to clean out the inside of the manifold without remove the darn thing? Guess it's not possible, huh?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Qlara's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Qlara reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-03-2001, 10:00 PM   #6
David 93 SL2m
Master Member
David 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the rough

2004 VUE 2.2L
2007 ION-3 Sedan
Dazed

Excellent! I am not the only one that went into shock when peering into the intake manifold through the throttle body opening!

My intake manifold is very gross. I'd love to take it off and soak it in kerosene for a week and then scrub it out with an old toothbrush or something. Unfortunately I am afraid to loosen and tighten bolts on my aluminum engine again after my last screw-up - changing the valve cover gasket set me back $440 as three of the bolts popped.

Is there some sort of chemical that we can spray into the throttle body to clean out the intake manifold? Or is this one of those things that we should not worry about?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to David 93 SL2m's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help David 93 SL2m reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-05-2001, 02:53 AM   #7
Heartbeat - '95 SL2
Heartbeat - '95 SL2 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

Thanks for the replies folks. If I remember correctly about the intake manifold, carbon and oil residue is a normal phenomenon, and as long as the PCV valve is not letting too much oil by, nothing to worry about. I'd imagine if your intake valves got bad enough, you'd notice a drop in mileage. You can clean it somewhat by shooting carb cleaner through the throttle body, but remember that anything that washes off is going through the intake valves, into the combustion chamber, and out through the catalytic converter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Heartbeat - '95 SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Heartbeat - '95 SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread