SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Red Line
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 11:44 PM   #1
srcauto rlvue
srcauto rlvue is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line
2004 VUE 3.5L
Default just pulled that bong off my rlvue

well I finally got the balls to start doing the mods. There is one thing that I am looking at doing that is making a stainless pipe with a 12'' by 4'' rectangular opening to fit behind the grill to act as a cold air intake and still use the factory air box with a drop-in Airaid filter. It should act more like a ram air system. Any ideas?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to srcauto rlvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help srcauto rlvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2005, 12:49 AM   #2
Dante
Master Member
Dante is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line
2002 SL2
Default Re: just pulled that bong off my rlvue

Welcome to the small world of bong-free Vues. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Where exactly are you planning on sticking this pseudo-ram-air system? When I had my bumper off, I noticed just how much space that bong took up, and how the only real way for air to come in was from below. On the RL, the shield that goes around the big mesh grill that sorta forces all the air into the radiator pretty much shields that source of "ram air" from the intake... the bong was nuzzled up against the backside of that shield... real good job there dudes...

Tupperware cars FTW!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dante's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dante reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-08-2005, 12:59 AM   #3
David Harleyson
David Harleyson is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by srcauto rlvue
well I finally got the balls to start doing the mods. There is one thing that I am looking at doing that is making a stainless pipe with a 12'' by 4'' rectangular opening to fit behind the grill to act as a cold air intake and still use the factory air box with a drop-in Airaid filter. It should act more like a ram air system. Any ideas?
Any "boost" you get will be from the cool air effect. But I doubt you will notice any difference if you don't do something about the restrictive plastic tube from the air box to the throttle body. Make sure you are not blocking air flow to the radiator with your box. From an engineering point of "Vue"...no it will not act like a ram air system. Here's why. 1. True Ram Air requires unrestricted, relatively smooth, laminar airflow, (similar to the flow over the hood) to pressurize the airbox. That type of flow is not available from in front of the radiator. 2. Aerodymanically speaking (at highway+- speed) a radiator is nearly solid. It flows air through it nicely at low speed, but aerodynamic resistance builds as the cube of speed. So the radiator is trying to flow three times as much air at 40 mph as it is at 20. There is only so much space for it to flow through. Air, like water, tends to take the path of least resistance. The rest of the air is pushed out of the way over, under and around the vehicle. Your inlet is in this turbulent area, not at all ideal for "ram air". 3. No "ram air" equipped vehicle that I am aware of takes its intake air from the radiator area of the car. It comes through scoops on the hood or openings at the base of the windshield. Think NASCAR. 4. Your engines computer algorithms were not designed with force fed air in mind, can it deal with it properly? Are you sure? Burned pistons are expensive. Ideas, save the effort and time and get the K&N Cold Air Intake. It is already designed with the tube and a nice well placed filter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to David Harleyson's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help David Harleyson reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-08-2005, 02:01 AM   #4
srcauto rlvue

2004 VUE Red Line
2004 VUE 3.5L

I tell you that the sound I get from removing that stupid bong is great, I sell the K&N CAI systems they work great but it would probably be better if I could combine the K&N with the Injen CAI system the filter placement seems to be better behind the headlight. "True cold air" but the K&N has a smoother less restricted flow cause you not using the OEM tubing. I shoudn't be that hard there are coupling and reducers avalible from my suppliers. What do ya think.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help srcauto rlvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-08-2005, 01:14 PM   #5
steviep831
steviep831 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by srcauto rlvue
I tell you that the sound I get from removing that stupid bong is great, I sell the K&N CAI systems they work great but it would probably be better if I could combine the K&N with the Injen CAI system the filter placement seems to be better behind the headlight. "True cold air" but the K&N has a smoother less restricted flow cause you not using the OEM tubing. I shoudn't be that hard there are coupling and reducers avalible from my suppliers. What do ya think.
This has been talked about in another recent thread. I think the consensus is that the perfect intake is not yet available in one package.

'04 Silver Nickel AWD Vue Redline-
'95 Emerald Green Nissan 300zx-

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to steviep831's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help steviep831 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-08-2005, 04:08 PM   #6
SaturngirlSc2
SaturngirlSc2 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

I posted this in the other intake forum, but nobody answered, so I am trying it again

Can someone take a picture of this "bong"? and explain to me exactly what it does and what happens when you take it off...

I would love to de'bong my Vue, but I get a little leery doing things to my engine that I don't understand...

Please, help a girl out here...

Thanks,

Laura

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturngirlSc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturngirlSc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-08-2005, 05:43 PM   #7
danemobile
danemobile is on a distinguished road

I carried out a bongectomy on my Vue while installing the K& N intake.
Unfortunately I cannot take a photo of the pretzel like device as I extracted it in pieces.
According to a post by Dante it can be taken out intact when the front bumper is removed.
It attaches to the air box where it enters the front frame area and projects down approx 18Ē.

Iíd assume its main function is noise reduction and maybe some protection from water ingress.

There is an increase in induction noise with it removed but at least in normal driving I hardly notice it, however when you floor the gas there is a noticeable intake roar.
Removing the bong should provide a clearer path to the airbox/K & N filter intake.

As the bong is barely visible I donít see itís removable being a smog inspection problem.
Iíve had no problems with water on this or my Eclipse which has had a similar change to its intake.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to danemobile's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help danemobile reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-08-2005, 06:33 PM   #8
VUEnumber1
Advanced Member
VUEnumber1 will become famous soon enough

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturngirlSc2
...Can someone take a picture of this "bong"? and explain to me exactly what it does and what happens when you take it off...
What happens when you take it off? There's a joke there for someone, but not me.

Click the camera next to Dante's ID. He's taken a couple pics of it that are in his gallery...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VUEnumber1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VUEnumber1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-09-2005, 11:39 AM   #9
rickpa75
rickpa75 is on a distinguished road

Dang, that looks like ALOT of work to get that "bong" out. Do you really need to remove the whole front bumper?? How much time does it take??

Also, who in this great earth created the "bong" - weirdest thing I've ever seen (except for MJ...)

Thanks,
-Rick

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rickpa75's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rickpa75 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-09-2005, 12:03 PM   #10
Spazie
Master Member
Spazie will become famous soon enough

1993 SC2
1999 SL2

Yes, you have to remove the whole front bumper. And the passenger headlight. Took us about 20 minutes.

The bong is friggin HUGE. Gigantic piece of plastic twisted tubing that's just a waste of space and material. I've got our sitting the garage, I'll try to snap a pic of it later.

But it's worth it to remove it.

13 Chevy Equinox, 46k, built in Spring Hill!
04 VUE 3.5, 196k
99 SL2 Homecoming, 211k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spazie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Spazie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-09-2005, 01:35 PM   #11
steviep831
steviep831 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazie
Are some of you removing the bong without installing the k&n intake? Does removing this piece decrease the stability of the airbox under the hood? Seems like the bong sort of holds up the airbox from the front.

Also, by describing this as an improvement, what exactly does removing this do. Improve airflow? This may be this weekend's little project.

'04 Silver Nickel AWD Vue Redline-
'95 Emerald Green Nissan 300zx-

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to steviep831's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help steviep831 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-09-2005, 09:39 PM   #12
srcauto rlvue

2004 VUE Red Line
2004 VUE 3.5L

When I removed the bong all I needed to remove was the passanger side retainer clips and headlight as well as the 2 center retainer clips I was able to access the 2 10mm bolts and pull the bloody thing out with out cutting it or much difficulty. to me about 15min to do it with out pulling th whole bumper skin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-09-2005, 09:59 PM   #13
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Yes, you have to remove the whole front bumper. And the passenger headlight. Took us about 20 minutes.

The bong is friggin HUGE. Gigantic piece of plastic twisted tubing that's just a waste of space and material. I've got our sitting the garage, I'll try to snap a pic of it later.

You don't have to remove the front bumper to take off the bong. Those of us veteran VUE owners were debonging our VUEs long before the RL and 3.5 were conceived.
The bong needs to be unbolted, as well as the airbox. The bong can be seperated into 2 pieces and comes out quite easily after unbolting the first bolt for the front passenger fender and flexing the goods out ever so slightly.
I've taken 2 of them out, and have had mine in and out at various times this way - the front bumper just complicates things
~D.J.~

2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Sport Sedan
2008 smart fortwo Passion Coupe 8/28/2008 - 3/12/2012
2002 VUE FWD4m - Gone but not forgotten. 5/14/2002 - 10/31/2011

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OhioVueBoy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OhioVueBoy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-09-2005, 10:02 PM   #14
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by steviep831
Are some of you removing the bong without installing the k&n intake? Does removing this piece decrease the stability of the airbox under the hood? Seems like the bong sort of holds up the airbox from the front.

Also, by describing this as an improvement, what exactly does removing this do. Improve airflow? This may be this weekend's little project.
The bong is bolted in with one bolt, and the airbox is held by one. It performs no real structural purpose, or performance purpose for that matter. It is designed to provide pulses of air 180* out of phase with the air that is being sucked in. This prevents the hissing, whistling, and growling that comes from the intake of the engine... a bongless VUE will have a deep growl (the 2.2 liters also whistle slightly over 4,000 RPM) when you step on the gas hard.
~D.J.~

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OhioVueBoy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-10-2005, 12:44 AM   #15
Dante
Master Member
Dante is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line
2002 SL2

Hey DJ, my bong had 2 bolts holding it on. Certainly, you don't have to remove the entire bumper to do this, but I felt it was safer to do so, given that I was working alone and didn't want to chance warping my bumper. It's already slightly out of shape as it is from the ungodly TX heat or something. If you don't know what you're doing, it's probably easier to just remove the whole front bumper and passenger side headlight to remove the bong, because you can see what you're doing very easily then.

In my gallery are two pics of the bong laying on the garage floor. I should have put something else in the picture so you could get a sense of scale, but it's over 1 square foot, looking at it in those pictures. Also, there is a picture of the space under the passenger side headlight where the bong was. Someone asked why I didn't take a picture with it still on there, and to be honest, it was because I was so eager to get it off, I forgot. hehe

I don't have the K&N FIPK, just a drop-in K&N filter in the factory airbox. The bong is not structurally connected to anything but the steel frame sitting between it and the engine bay. It is held on by one bolt at the top, and another towards the bottom. They are not real easy to see, but if you look carefully you can see two shiny silver bolts in that pic in my gallery. Just imagine a huge piece of contorted plastic tubing in front of that, and there's the bong installed.

This de-bonging craze is fun!

Tupperware cars FTW!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dante's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dante reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-10-2005, 08:05 AM   #16
04Vuesilver
Advanced Member
04Vuesilver is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line

Is there any downside to removing it, other than the noise (which is a plus in my opinion)?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 04Vuesilver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 04Vuesilver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-10-2005, 12:09 PM   #17
Spazie
Master Member
Spazie will become famous soon enough

1993 SC2
1999 SL2

Your filter will get dirty a little faster, but that's it.

DJ - the bong we pulled off was 1 piece and held on with 2 bolts. I think yours is a bit different.

You COULD try and get it out without pulling off the front bumper, but I just don't think there is enough room to pull it out through where the headlight is. We didn't pull the bumper completely off, just unbolted the passenger side and pulled it away from the car a little bit to give us enough room to get it out. I think it would have been easier to just unbolt the whole thing, would have had more room to work with.

13 Chevy Equinox, 46k, built in Spring Hill!
04 VUE 3.5, 196k
99 SL2 Homecoming, 211k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spazie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Spazie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-10-2005, 02:08 PM   #18
Tollag
Tollag is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Your filter will get dirty a little faster, but that's it.

DJ - the bong we pulled off was 1 piece and held on with 2 bolts. I think yours is a bit different.

You COULD try and get it out without pulling off the front bumper, but I just don't think there is enough room to pull it out through where the headlight is. We didn't pull the bumper completely off, just unbolted the passenger side and pulled it away from the car a little bit to give us enough room to get it out. I think it would have been easier to just unbolt the whole thing, would have had more room to work with.

To take the whole thing off, you have to take the clips out of both front wheel wells, and what else? I know this has been talked down to death, but I might as well bring it up again. Sorry.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tollag's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tollag reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-11-2005, 08:07 PM   #19
OhioVueBoy
Master Member

2002 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
They all look like they are one piece. They are two pieces... you just have to toy with it and you will find the seam where it is clipped together.
~D.J.~

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-11-2005, 10:42 PM   #20
Tollag
Tollag is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

I just took it off too! Sounds great, although i wasn't able to pull it to 5k or so on the rev-band... It's snowing out, and that would be dangerous. The thing was a jerk to get to though...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tollag's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tollag reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread