SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 10:59 PM   #1
louis1971
louis1971 is on a distinguished road

Question Will Saturn Extend the 04 Vue Warranty?

Anyone hear anything regarding Saturn extending the warranty on the 04 Vue, based on all the problems they and we know exists? Such as the bearings, rdm's, speed sensors, etc? Take your pick of drivetrain, or suspension components. Some people are on their 3rd and 4th RDM, so clearly they're replacing known defective parts with more defective parts, which means we're all screwed once we're out of warranty and it's time for the 5th RDM.

If they can do it for the vti owners, they surely could do it for us. Any thoughts? Has anyone ever gotten them to even extend the warranty on an individual basis? If so, let me know what happened and who you talked to?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to louis1971's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help louis1971 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2005, 12:34 AM   #2
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Will Saturn Extend the 04 Vue Warranty?

Probably not. They didn't on the 2000 L series or the 2002 VUE, both of which were more problematic across the board than the 2004+ VUEs were. Believe it or not, even with your RDM issues, the early VUE owners had to deal with a lot more. Squeaks/rattles/suspension noises/A/C evaporators dumping condensation onto the floor/defrosters not clearing the whole windsheild/thermostats on the L81/mirrors cracking/washer nozzles blowing up/fogging headlamps..... on and on. Some of us dealt with it, and in the end got a great vehicle... others fled toward the Escape, CR-V, Santa Fe... etc.. and fell off of the face of this board. Would I recommend a 2002, no, would I have a problem selling my particular 2002 to a friend now that it has enough revisions to be a 2002/3/4 hybrid model, no, I would sell it to them without blinking an eye.
My advice... hang in there - even if it is rough, they will find out a fix.
~D.J.~

2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Sport Sedan
2008 smart fortwo Passion Coupe 8/28/2008 - 3/12/2012
2002 VUE FWD4m - Gone but not forgotten. 5/14/2002 - 10/31/2011

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OhioVueBoy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OhioVueBoy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-29-2005, 09:41 AM   #3
Jldet5
Jldet5 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by louis1971
Anyone hear anything regarding Saturn extending the warranty on the 04 Vue, based on all the problems they and we know exists? Such as the bearings, rdm's, speed sensors, etc? Take your pick of drivetrain, or suspension components. Some people are on their 3rd and 4th RDM, so clearly they're replacing known defective parts with more defective parts, which means we're all screwed once we're out of warranty and it's time for the 5th RDM.

If they can do it for the vti owners, they surely could do it for us. Any thoughts? Has anyone ever gotten them to even extend the warranty on an individual basis? If so, let me know what happened and who you talked to?
Nope, Buying an extended warranty may be a good deal?

http://www.saturnaccessories.com/sf6...le_prices.html

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jldet5's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jldet5 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-29-2005, 12:06 PM   #4
John10
Master Member
John10 will become famous soon enoughJohn10 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L

Don't expect that to happen across the board. There have been cases however in which warranties on various Saturn cars have been extended individually for owners having unusually severe or recurrent problems. That is usually done voluntarily by Saturn upon the impacted customer's request as a matter of good will.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to John10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help John10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-29-2005, 05:27 PM   #5
walt
walt has a spectacular aura aboutwalt has a spectacular aura aboutwalt has a spectacular aura about

The vti cost thousands(no one to my knowledge has come up with a actual figure ) to replace,But I have heard quotes of $10,000.Saturn also had to give the warranty to show that the product they were building was realible.If the public got word that repair costs were worth more than the Vehicle not to many VUEs with vtis would be sold and someone would be eating the inventory.Many vti owners like myself believe the vti is a bomb just waiting to go off.Every manufacturer has made some lemon componets some place.Ford had the head gaskets on the 3.8 which they replaced at no charge on some models.Plain and simple Saturn is eating the vti,but I dont see it happening with other less expensive repairs.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to walt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help walt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-29-2005, 06:51 PM   #6
20VUE06
20VUE06 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by louis1971
Has anyone ever gotten them to even extend the warranty on an individual basis? If so, let me know what happened and who you talked to?
My very first complaint to Saturn's CAC revolved around the fact that I had been in multiple times for multiple problems. After some conversations, they offered to extend my bumper to bumper extended warranty from 4/50k to 4/60k. After they offered to extend my bumper to bumper, I stated that I didn't think that was enough for my RDM issues... They ended up extending that individual part to 75k.

2004 Vue AWD V6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 20VUE06's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 20VUE06 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-08-2005, 07:31 PM   #7
rumbob
rumbob is on a distinguished road

When I purchased my 2004 AWD V6 in Canada last August, they offered
100,000 km or 5 years extended power train warranty at n/c.

At that time I had heard nothing about any problems such as the RDM failing.

I feel as protected as one can be and do not feel that the extra cost for ext warranty would be needed.

PS I havwe 12k on my VUE and the original RDM, no problems except a scrunching sound from the front end which I will be telling them about in the spring once this -40 winter temps end!

Bob

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rumbob's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rumbob reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-08-2005, 07:55 PM   #8
dtm1962
dtm1962 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
2005 ION-2 Sedan

RumBob:

That's the standard warranty for all Saturns (Ions, Vues, L300's) in Canada.

Dan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dtm1962's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dtm1962 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-10-2005, 01:58 AM   #9
Markfus
Markfus is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 3.0L
2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Ok, this is my first post (new member) so forgive me if I go off on a tangent. I've got a novel of problems to post about my 2002 Vue (3.0L V6 "AWD") but we'll get to those in due time.

I have a feeling that my dealership is waiting for my warranty to expire before doing anything about the problems I'm having with my Vue. Of course, it could just be the conspiracy theorist in me thinking that.

It's taken an act of Congress to get them to respond to any of my complaints, many of which are still unresolved.

Anyone know how much, and what I have to have wrong with my car to get them to offer an extended warranty? I'm not trying to mooch a free extended warranty out of Saturn, but I just want to believe that Saturn is still the company it set out to be. So far that's not the case.

This is the 3rd of 4 Saturns my wife and I have owned. Our dealership has spoiled us with Excellent care for our '97 SL2 (purchased-loved it), our 2000 L-Series (leased), and now our 2003 L200 (purchased); but has almost blatantly given me the cold shoulder with the Vue (also purchased). I feel like I'm dealing with a used Ford dealership.

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent. And thanks in advance for the advice.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Markfus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Markfus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-10-2005, 09:53 AM   #10
Jldet5

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markfus
Ok, this is my first post (new member) so forgive me if I go off on a tangent. I've got a novel of problems to post about my 2002 Vue (3.0L V6 "AWD") but we'll get to those in due time.

I have a feeling that my dealership is waiting for my warranty to expire before doing anything about the problems I'm having with my Vue. Of course, it could just be the conspiracy theorist in me thinking that.

It's taken an act of Congress to get them to respond to any of my complaints, many of which are still unresolved.

Anyone know how much, and what I have to have wrong with my car to get them to offer an extended warranty? I'm not trying to mooch a free extended warranty out of Saturn, but I just want to believe that Saturn is still the company it set out to be. So far that's not the case.

This is the 3rd of 4 Saturns my wife and I have owned. Our dealership has spoiled us with Excellent care for our '97 SL2 (purchased-loved it), our 2000 L-Series (leased), and now our 2003 L200 (purchased); but has almost blatantly given me the cold shoulder with the Vue (also purchased). I feel like I'm dealing with a used Ford dealership.

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent. And thanks in advance for the advice.
Most people here are familiar with the standard problems so maybe a quick hit list of the problems may help. Assuming the problems your having are fixable there is no reason for the dealer not to fix them. Otherwise you need a new dealer and I'd start with the CAC.

My dealer has fixed everything they could but they don't make the parts!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Jldet5 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-10-2005, 10:16 AM   #11
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
There's really no reason for them to do that. They get paid by Saturn Corp to do warranty repairs.

Past Saturns: 97 SL2, 01 SC2, 04 VUE, 08 Astra, 02 L200.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-10-2005, 08:38 PM   #12
Markfus

2002 VUE 3.0L
2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerb
There's really no reason for them to do that. They get paid by Saturn Corp to do warranty repairs.
I was kinda joking about my dealership waiting for the warranty to run out. Still, it's frustrating when they don't take my complaints seriously.

Someone asked me to list the problems I'm having. Here goes:
(FYI: 2002 Vue AWD V6 w/ 36800 miles, Saturn of Lafayette, LA is primary dealership)

1. Knocking noise in L front wheel when turning left. Turned out to be faulty steering mechanism (maybe rack & pinion assembly). Finally replaced 3 months ago after 2 years of complaints.

2. Poor gas mileage (14-16 mpg city) and poor engine performance. Drives like I'm towing something. Engine is louder than normal, shifts late and doesn't downshift when it normally used to. Also, sluggish acceleration. Dealership hooked it up to diag computer and didn't find anything. Surprise!

3. Suspension on Right side, mainly right rear feels weak and worn, like bad struts. When I drive, the car often leans to the right. My wife thought she had a flat once because of this. I get a lot of pitch when turning left and weight is shifted right. The right side bounces more than the left and causes the car to wobble. Dealership measured ride height when car was standing still. Found nothing, but didn't check suspension or wheel assembly and told me it was probably just an illusion.

4. Door seals and other interior parts rattle (no surprise there), Front passenger door leaks in heavy rain, and rear doors are getting hard to close, almost like the frame is tweaked a little, which I would find hard to believe.

5. Since I got it, the rear vibrates at around 50mph. The dealer said it was probably out of alignment and they don't do alignments. That's ok if they don't, except that 3 of the 4 Saturns we've owned had bad alignments when we got them (all new too).

6. It's supposed to be AWD, but when accelerating from a stop in wet conditions, the front will spin and the rear will not engage, or will engage with a jolt after the front wheels spin for a few seconds. I didn't realize this was such a problem (since the dealer told me wheel spin was normal ???) until I saw this issue in another post, but with 2004's after a rear drive component was replaced (I don't remember which one). I've had no such work done.

The Input Speed sensor failed 3 weeks after purchase, but it was promptly changed with no hassle.

Also, I got a letter in the mail about the 04067 repair to have the rear lateral link assembly replaced. I'm planning on getting it done, but does anyone know if it could help with any of the issues I've listed?

Anyway, sorry for the lengthy post, but my Vue has a lot of problems. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Markfus (Mark)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Markfus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-10-2005, 08:47 PM   #13
Markfus

2002 VUE 3.0L
2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Sorry. I forgot one.

The steering wheel column makes a squeakng/whining noise when turning fast or when the wheel returns to center. Started about a month ago.

Thanks,
Mark

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-10-2005, 11:20 PM   #14
Jldet5

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
I was kinda joking about my dealership waiting for the warranty to run out. Still, it's frustrating when they don't take my complaints seriously.

Someone asked me to list the problems I'm having. Here goes:
(FYI: 2002 Vue AWD V6 w/ 36800 miles, Saturn of Lafayette, LA is primary dealership)

1. Knocking noise in L front wheel when turning left. Turned out to be faulty steering mechanism (maybe rack & pinion assembly). Finally replaced 3 months ago after 2 years of complaints.

2. Poor gas mileage (14-16 mpg city) and poor engine performance. Drives like I'm towing something. Engine is louder than normal, shifts late and doesn't downshift when it normally used to. Also, sluggish acceleration. Dealership hooked it up to diag computer and didn't find anything. Surprise!

3. Suspension on Right side, mainly right rear feels weak and worn, like bad struts. When I drive, the car often leans to the right. My wife thought she had a flat once because of this. I get a lot of pitch when turning left and weight is shifted right. The right side bounces more than the left and causes the car to wobble. Dealership measured ride height when car was standing still. Found nothing, but didn't check suspension or wheel assembly and told me it was probably just an illusion.

4. Door seals and other interior parts rattle (no surprise there), Front passenger door leaks in heavy rain, and rear doors are getting hard to close, almost like the frame is tweaked a little, which I would find hard to believe.

5. Since I got it, the rear vibrates at around 50mph. The dealer said it was probably out of alignment and they don't do alignments. That's ok if they don't, except that 3 of the 4 Saturns we've owned had bad alignments when we got them (all new too).

6. It's supposed to be AWD, but when accelerating from a stop in wet conditions, the front will spin and the rear will not engage, or will engage with a jolt after the front wheels spin for a few seconds. I didn't realize this was such a problem (since the dealer told me wheel spin was normal ???) until I saw this issue in another post, but with 2004's after a rear drive component was replaced (I don't remember which one). I've had no such work done.

The Input Speed sensor failed 3 weeks after purchase, but it was promptly changed with no hassle.

Also, I got a letter in the mail about the 04067 repair to have the rear lateral link assembly replaced. I'm planning on getting it done, but does anyone know if it could help with any of the issues I've listed?

Anyway, sorry for the lengthy post, but my Vue has a lot of problems. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Markfus (Mark)
#2. Sounds normal. I've driven many of the saturn sedans with the V6 and it operates as you describe. I have the honda engine which is a lot more fun to drive and it still gets 19.

#5. There is TSB where the drive shaft connects to the rear. But the AWD driveshaft vibrates..this is my #1 dislike about the VUE..everything else in my 2004 is excellent minus the new RDM.

#6. Thats the way that clunkly RDM works, #2 on the bad list but thats the design of the RDM. For the 2004 they had a very good performing one but they started taking them out to include mine.

#3 may work it self out on the recall? There have been reports of bent parts being replaced and you get an alignment! While they are tearing it apart have them look at the struts!

#4 sounds like a pain. What do they say?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-11-2005, 01:58 AM   #15
Markfus

2002 VUE 3.0L
2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jldet5
#2. Sounds normal. I've driven many of the saturn sedans with the V6 and it operates as you describe. I have the honda engine which is a lot more fun to drive and it still gets 19.

#5. There is TSB where the drive shaft connects to the rear. But the AWD driveshaft vibrates..this is my #1 dislike about the VUE..everything else in my 2004 is excellent minus the new RDM.

#6. Thats the way that clunkly RDM works, #2 on the bad list but thats the design of the RDM. For the 2004 they had a very good performing one but they started taking them out to include mine.

#3 may work it self out on the recall? There have been reports of bent parts being replaced and you get an alignment! While they are tearing it apart have them look at the struts!

#4 sounds like a pain. What do they say?
Thanks for the response, Jldet5. I had a 2000 LS2 with the same 3.0L V6 and it was kind of loud with high shift points, but not as loud as the Vue, which has gotten progressively louder and less powerful. I know what you're saying about the Honda engine in the 2004's. I drove one as a loaner the last time mine was in the shop and I loved it! The whole car was a vast improvement over the 2002. From the smoother ride, to the huge leap in power, to the XM satellite radio, I didn't want to give it back.

The dealer never said much about the rattling, just the usual, "it happens". And I haven't told them about the leak yet, but I'll keep you posted. I'll probably bring it in this weekend for an oil change and the recall work.

I was thinking of asking them to look at the struts during the recall work, but I'm not holding my breath for a resolution to the suspension problem.

Anyway, thanks for the info.
Mark

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-14-2005, 02:19 PM   #16
RicksVue
RicksVue is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Sorry. I forgot one.

The steering wheel column makes a squeakng/whining noise when turning fast or when the wheel returns to center. Started about a month ago.

Thanks,
Mark
Mine started doing that last week. Very loud - sounded like a rubber stop was being rubbed against while moving the steering wheel. Brought it in and the retailer lubricated the "intermediate shaft" and it's now quiet again. I'm assuming that's a steering shaft somewhere between the wheel and the electric boost unit.

-Rick

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RicksVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RicksVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-17-2005, 09:56 AM   #17
cronkm
cronkm is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

I had many problems with my 2002 VUE. For all of my "troubles" Saturn Customer Care offered me a one-time payment of $300 and basically a "tough luck" statement. I then took my complaints to the dealership, who knew of all the problems I had. To probably get me to shut up, they offered me payoff as a trade-in and I bought a new 2004 outright, thinking that it had to be better. Well, three RDM's later and more popping and groaning coming from the front end, I'm still not satisfied. I'm afraid this is my last Saturn because I don't see an end in sight. It's pretty bad that their quality has changed so much that they are now losing loyal customers. You might want to try offering the same deal with your dealership in trading in for a new 2005????

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cronkm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cronkm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread