SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 10:09 AM   #1
DJPSC
DJPSC is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
1996 SL1
Default ***my Vue Is In The Shop For The Recall***

Hey everyone should I be worried that my baby is in the shop getting the two recalls done I've been reading the posts about people having problems with the RDM afterwards, but hopefully because I live in Canada I will get different parts than all of you guys down in the states !

They are also installing a engine block heater for me because it gets cold up here in Canada. Once they are finished with it and wash it for me (thank god for that free service) I will take pictures of it and show everyone how different it looks with a spoiler on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DJPSC's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DJPSC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2004, 01:57 PM   #2
saturncanuck
saturncanuck is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2006 ION-3 Sedan
Default Re: ***my Vue Is In The Shop For The Recall***

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJPSC
Hey everyone should I be worried that my baby is in the shop getting the two recalls done I've been reading the posts about people having problems with the RDM afterwards, but hopefully because I live in Canada I will get different parts than all of you guys down in the states !

They are also installing a engine block heater for me because it gets cold up here in Canada. Once they are finished with it and wash it for me (thank god for that free service) I will take pictures of it and show everyone how different it looks with a spoiler on.
Is this the infamous suspension recall?

PS -- where in Canada?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturncanuck's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturncanuck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-10-2004, 02:00 PM   #3
20VUE06
20VUE06 is on a distinguished road

I have had both recalls done... The new RDM and the suspension - both without them informing me until the work was already done.

Don't be worried. You can always take it back if they screw it up! Oh, wait, that is how my dealer does it, they practice on me and my Vue.

Sorry to display a bit of frustration there.

2004 Vue AWD V6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 20VUE06's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 20VUE06 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-10-2004, 02:19 PM   #4
mr weather
mr weather is on a distinguished road

I received the letter from Saturn, oh, 4 months ago and haven't heard boo from my retailer. I've heard that the parts are back-ordered.

As far as the block heater goes my VUE has it as standard equipment. I only need to buy the "optional" power cord to make it work.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mr weather's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mr weather reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-10-2004, 02:49 PM   #5
Dante
Master Member
Dante is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line
2002 SL2
Attention Re: ***my Vue Is In The Shop For The Recall***

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJPSC

My Vue is also in the shop today, but I didn't take it in for that recall work, I took it in because the fuel pumps started screwing up a couple weeks ago and it would hardly start after sitting a few minutes.... I got a call this morning from Tracie in service and she tells me "Oh, we noticed you haven't had the recalls done yet, we'll do them for you." I told her that the RDM has already been replaced once, it's working fine, DO NOT touch it, and I'm about to go on a 4,000 mile trip in a week, and I don't want you guys changing out my suspension parts. She countered that they are legally obligated to do the recalls while they have the car and won't release it until they do them. I told her that I DO NOT want those recalls performed at this time, and I will not allow them to do them. She said she'd have to talk to the service dept. mgr. He told her to have me sign some waiver or something stating that I know about the recalls blah blah whatever, basically to relieve them from any liability. I told her I'd sign the waiver, but I'm ok with having the links replaced AFTER my trip. I just don't think it's wise to replace suspension components a week before this trip. I will be picking her up this afternoon, I'll let you guys know how it goes, and what this waiver says. Sorry about the rant, I'm just really annoyed.

About the RDM recall, I can't say from personal experience that the new part diminishes the AWD abilities, but it appears from the experience of several others around here that it does. If you don't currently have a problem with your RDM making the moaning "wah-wah" noise when doing a slow u-turn, I'd tell them to hold off on it. The lateral link recall probably will have no affect.

Tupperware cars FTW!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dante's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dante reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-10-2004, 03:50 PM   #6
Dante
Master Member

2004 VUE Red Line
2002 SL2

About my previous post -- the only reason they called me before doing this recall work is because I have wheel locks and they didn't know where the lock socket was... had I not had wheel locks I'm sure they would have done the recall work and told me about it when I picked it up. I would have been pretty pissed.

The service manager called me about a half hour after I posted the last message. He told me he would "Instruct me as he had been instructed" and tried to explain to me what the lateral link recall was for, and how they aren't going to be changing functionality (who said anything about changing functionality? hrmmmmm), but just putting in a stronger part. I told him I was fine with doing the link recall AFTER my trip, but I am not comfortable with changing a suspension part a week before this long of a trip. About the RDM, I told him it's already been fixed, it's not having problems now, and I'm not having it changed, that's all there is to it. If in time it does start to have problems, I'll have the recall performed then. He knew he couldn't argue with me, so he reiterated the "you have to sign a waver so you can't sue us" point and I told him that's fine, just don't touch my car for things I didn't ask to have worked on. I verified that signing the waiver does not preclude me from having that work done in the future, it just releases them from liability between now and then.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Dante reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-10-2004, 04:23 PM   #7
Freedom1955
Freedom1955 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante
About my previous post -- the only reason they called me before doing this recall work is because I have wheel locks and they didn't know where the lock socket was... had I not had wheel locks I'm sure they would have done the recall work and told me about it when I picked it up. I would have been pretty pissed.

The service manager called me about a half hour after I posted the last message. He told me he would "Instruct me as he had been instructed" and tried to explain to me what the lateral link recall was for, and how they aren't going to be changing functionality (who said anything about changing functionality? hrmmmmm), but just putting in a stronger part. I told him I was fine with doing the link recall AFTER my trip, but I am not comfortable with changing a suspension part a week before this long of a trip. About the RDM, I told him it's already been fixed, it's not having problems now, and I'm not having it changed, that's all there is to it. If in time it does start to have problems, I'll have the recall performed then. He knew he couldn't argue with me, so he reiterated the "you have to sign a waver so you can't sue us" point and I told him that's fine, just don't touch my car for things I didn't ask to have worked on. I verified that signing the waiver does not preclude me from having that work done in the future, it just releases them from liability between now and then.
Thanks for the imfo!
Please let us know if you notice any changes in ride and or handling after you have those rear links replaced.

04 White AWD, Loaded.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Freedom1955's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Freedom1955 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-10-2004, 04:43 PM   #8
Dante
Master Member

2004 VUE Red Line
2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom1955
Thanks for the imfo!
Please let us know if you notice any changes in ride and or handling after you have those rear links replaced.
I'm not having them replaced today. The service manager was quick to point out that having the links replaced "will not alter the ride quality". I doubt that it will, it's not changing any ratios or anything, just a thicker arm that does the exact same thing. The RDM changing the AWD performance is what I am most concerned about, and that's why I'm not having them replace it until it starts making noise again or not working.

Tupperware cars FTW!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-10-2004, 04:54 PM   #9
20VUE06
20VUE06 is on a distinguished road

Yeah, no change in ride quality at all... The new RDM does affect how fast the AWD kicks in. I can say that I have noticed a significant increase in front wheel spin since I have had it done. I was not sure if my tires had reached a point where they lost grip, or what... Turns out that it seems that the RDM has been modified somehow to affect AWD performance.

2004 Vue AWD V6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 20VUE06's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 20VUE06 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-10-2004, 06:56 PM   #10
bower100
bower100 will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 3.5L
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I got the notice letter from Saturn today. It refers to , "voluntary customer satsfaction programs" # 04067 and #04090.

I'm planning to have the lateral link replaced next time it's in for something else. However, because it only has about 1200 miles on it and I hear no noise or vib's I really don't want the RDM touched yet. Actually, I want to try the Vue's AWD capability next spring/summer in sand on the beach where AWD or 4WD is required for access. dave

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bower100's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bower100 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-10-2004, 07:05 PM   #11
Dante
Master Member

2004 VUE Red Line
2002 SL2

That's the same letter I got a couple days ago. I just had to sign on their copy of the work order under the service manager's comment that "CUST DECLINED RECALL COMPLETION, UNTIL AFTER TRIP OUT OF TOWN. CUST COUNSELED ON PHONE BY SVC. MGR, EXPLAINING THE LIABILITY INVOLVED, AND RESPONSIBILITY TILL THE TWO RECALLS ARE COMPLETED.........." Not sure what's up with the extraneous elipses at the end.... and stuff....

So, no recall for me just yet. I wouldn't do the RDM recall until yours starts groaning. Depending on when yours was built, it may never have a problem, since you may have the first "fixed" procedure/part, or you may have an older part but you're just fortunate. I don't think *every* AWD has this problem, just a lot of them.

Tupperware cars FTW!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-10-2004, 07:21 PM   #12
DJPSC
DJPSC is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
1996 SL1

Hi everyone thanks for all the post, I just got back from picking up my Vue and I live in Woodbridge Onatrio Canada so guess what it was freezing rain when I started driving so I tried doing the wheel spin to see if the AWD drive would kick and guess what it did actually it grips better than it did before. The front tires spin for maybe 1.5 seconds (I was punching it) and then it seemlessly goes into AWD with no loud bang or any other noises I was going around turns at high sppeds with no problem either.

By the way my Vue had a block heater already installed so all the guy did was install the power cord, so if anyone wants a block heater with the cord I have one for sale.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DJPSC's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DJPSC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-10-2004, 07:25 PM   #13
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L

Go you. More people need to stand up for what they do and do not want performed on their vehicles.
I personally removed my VUE from a bay at work after they told me that they were going to do the lateral link repair on it, and that they had to. I don't give a damn about their legalities - it is my vehicle and I will have done to it what I want and when - and in the case of that frivolous recall, never - at least while it is in my ownership.
~D.J.~

2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Sport Sedan
2008 smart fortwo Passion Coupe 8/28/2008 - 3/12/2012
2002 VUE FWD4m - Gone but not forgotten. 5/14/2002 - 10/31/2011

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OhioVueBoy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OhioVueBoy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-10-2004, 07:27 PM   #14
Dante
Master Member

2004 VUE Red Line
2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioVueBoy
Go you. More people need to stand up for what they do and do not want performed on their vehicles.
I personally removed my VUE from a bay at work after they told me that they were going to do the lateral link repair on it, and that they had to. I don't give a damn about their legalities - it is my vehicle and I will have done to it what I want and when - and in the case of that frivolous recall, never - at least while it is in my ownership.
~D.J.~
Damn skippy!

Thanks for the encouragement.

Tupperware cars FTW!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-10-2004, 07:58 PM   #15
BlueDevil
Advanced Member
BlueDevil is on a distinguished road

i just got mine back today from having the "rollover recall" done. since it's raining, i haven't peeked under it yet, but it feels exactly the same. it's probably just my imagination, but the rear end LOOKS slightly higher now. they kept it overnight and gave me a loaner (2005 4 door crew cab 4x4 silverado!!).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BlueDevil's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BlueDevil reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-11-2004, 02:18 AM   #16
Dante
Master Member

2004 VUE Red Line
2002 SL2

Wow, I was told that in one day they would have
1) the fuel pumps replaced
2) the RDM replaced
3) the lateral links replaced

IN ONE DAY! That's a lot of work for one day, especially when you aren't getting started until almost noon (that's when they called to ask about the wheel locks).

I got a loaner last time it was in for the RDM replacement (which back then had to cure 8 hours). I was given the equivalent of the ****tiest car on the lot. They would pay for a compact Nissan... I was kinda irritated. I thought "I pay $30k for an SUV and this is my rental?" So I said screw that, paid the extra for an extended cab silverado, and used it to haul home 1600 pounds of sand and nearly 200 2"x8"x16" stone squares (in 3 trips, mind you, I didn't want to destroy the thing after all).

Tupperware cars FTW!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-11-2004, 01:22 PM   #17
Laurence
Laurence is on a distinguished road

Happy Re: ***my Vue Is In The Shop For The Recall***

Had my 2003 VUe FWD VTi in for the suspension recall yesterday. I immediately noticed a very definite improvement in the ride which was considerably smoother but I put this down to the increased tire pressure from 30 psi to 35 psi and not the recall work.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Laurence's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Laurence reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-11-2004, 04:14 PM   #18
sschumann
sschumann is on a distinguished road

Thumbs Up Re: ***my Vue Is In The Shop For The Recall***

Had the suspension recall done tuesday and I don't feel anything different. Does look like the rear is higher though. Looks like they did a good job. Gave me a brand new Ion as a loaner car. nice room inside but its only a car. Was glad to get my Vue back.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sschumann's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sschumann reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-11-2004, 07:59 PM   #19
John
John is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L

I also just had the two recalls (RDM and suspension) done on Thursday (12/09/04) with my scheduled oil change (15,000 miles).

It has been pretty much a cold, wet rain here in Indianapolis since I picked the VUE up Thursday evening, with the roads have been mostly wet and I'm not sure what it is some people are having trouble with as far as wheelspin so its difficult to compare but I really don't notice much (if any) difference either compared to before the recalls.

I will say the dealer (Saturn of Fishers) is doing a bunch of VUE recalls. There must have been 25 or 30 of them there waiting for or just having had the recall completed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to John's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help John reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-11-2004, 09:08 PM   #20
vue-vtec
Advanced Member
vue-vtec is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante
About my previous post -- the only reason they called me before doing this recall work is because I have wheel locks and they didn't know where the lock socket was... had I not had wheel locks I'm sure they would have done the recall work and told me about it when I picked it up. I would have been pretty pissed...
They don't need to remove your wheels to do any of the work (suspension links, RDM, or fuel pump). I wouldn't let any "tech" touch my wheels! If I were you I'd ask them why the **** they had to screw around with your wheels?

Toe Link Replacement, Instructions

Differential Clutch Drum Assembly Replacement, Instructions

Fuel Tank Module Replacement - Primary, Instructions

Fuel Tank Replacement, Instructions

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vue-vtec's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vue-vtec reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread