SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-18-2004, 09:12 PM   #1
wojtek_f
wojtek_f is on a distinguished road

Default windscreen cracked - frame bent??

Hey
I just noticed a disturbing crack in the corner of the windscreen (top on passenger side).
- It might have been there for a while since it's entirely on the part that's 'blackened out' so I might have just not noticed...
It doesn't look like caused by an imact from some debris though... The pattern is a cross but the pieces close to the frame are a bit displaced. the lines of the cross are about 3inces long and the 'point' is about 1 inch from the corner
I've had some brake problems lately so the car was lifted and lowered a lot. Could this be caused by the frame flexing while doing that or during corenring...
(The car is quite old: 1993 SL1 with 197000km on it)

thanks for your comments
Wojtek

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wojtek_f's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wojtek_f reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2004, 09:57 PM   #2
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: windscreen cracked - frame bent??

The windshield sits on a "pad" of rubber like adheasive and as several stress mounting pads positioned around it's perimeter. Shy of twisting the car like taffy you should not be able to crack the winshield from the activities of jacking up or otherwise lifting the vehicle.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-19-2004, 09:58 AM   #3
eljefino
Master Member
eljefino will become famous soon enough

1995 SW1
2000 SL1
Default Re: windscreen cracked - frame bent??

I got a crack in my old cutlass ciera windshield just like you describe after hitting a mega-frost heave one March. The windshield is a structural part of most unibody cars. I would expect the saturn to be a bit stiffer than that rattly olds though. Did you have the doors open when you were jacking the car up? They should be shut to add rigidity.

I'm not suggesting the S-cars are flimsy and the windshield will break when you change a tire... but that your hypothesis does hold water to me at least.

Last edited by eljefino; 12-19-2004 at 10:04 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eljefino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eljefino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread