SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Reference Forums > Miscellaneous Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2004, 10:49 PM   #1
silverblueL200
Advanced Member
silverblueL200 is on a distinguished road

Default Starter hanging on cold starts, I think?

At least I assume it is, if the car sits for the day while I'm at work, there will be a kinda loud grinding noise right as the car starts @ I release the key. Now this weekend, when I didn't use the car at all, I went to go out tonight and the grinding noise sent chills down my back it was so loud. Now the only thing that is wierd to me is that everytime I get this grinding noise, when I turn the A/C on I get the same noise, thats kinda makes me think its not the starter, but I'm no tech so I don't know....

Any opinions would be much apprecieted.

- 2003 Saab 9-3 Arc

Hello, mother. I come bearing a gift. I'll give you a hint. It's in my diaper and it's not a toaster. -Stewie Griffin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to silverblueL200's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help silverblueL200 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2004, 11:26 PM   #2
lostwages_ls2
lostwages_ls2 is on a distinguished road

Sounds like the A/C compressor clutch.

Your Honor Student is merely a pawn in my Min Pin's diabolical world domination plot.

Obey the Min Pin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lostwages_ls2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lostwages_ls2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-01-2004, 11:29 PM   #3
MaxSL2
Advanced Member
MaxSL2 is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L

My VUE's 1st and now 2nd starter has always grinded/rattled every so often.

The fact that your noise occurs with the engagement of the compressor means though it might be more likely to have somthing to do with the compressor or its clutch, since I the 2.2's do also have the compressor clutch engaged while cranking to help oil the A/C system.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MaxSL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MaxSL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-01-2004, 11:34 PM   #4
silverblueL200
Advanced Member

Okay, well on the A/C theory, I had a strange thing happen 3 weeks ago, I was sitting waiting to turn into a gas station, it took a few minutes for traffic to clear, as I'm sitting there I realize I'm feeling warm air. I look down and the A/C light is off, button is still depressed. I cuss at it, turn the fan off, turn it back on & the engine shudders and the RPM's down to ~400 then go back to normal. Hasn't done this again since.

- 2003 Saab 9-3 Arc

Hello, mother. I come bearing a gift. I'll give you a hint. It's in my diaper and it's not a toaster. -Stewie Griffin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help silverblueL200 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-02-2004, 12:07 AM   #5
lostwages_ls2

1st the good news... If it is the clutch, it is a separate replaceable part.

Now the bad news. It costs about $200. And 3.5 hours labor.

Your Honor Student is merely a pawn in my Min Pin's diabolical world domination plot.

Obey the Min Pin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help lostwages_ls2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-02-2004, 12:10 AM   #6
silverblueL200
Advanced Member

I could've done without the bad news

What happens if I just let it die, is it going to take the compressor down with it?

- 2003 Saab 9-3 Arc

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-02-2004, 12:59 AM   #7
lostwages_ls2

Before we blame it on the clutch, how old is the serpentine belt??? Could it be slipping when the A/C engages?

Obey the Min Pin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-02-2004, 01:37 AM   #8
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

If this noise is basically duplicatable at this point (happens nearly all the time) you can confirm if it's the A/C compressor clutch by removing the belt and starting the car. Noise gone? Diagnosis confirmed that at least it IS SOMETHING belt driven. Based on your other symptom descriptions, the A/C compressor clutch becomes prime suspect #1.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-02-2004, 11:22 AM   #9
silverblueL200
Advanced Member

Car only has 46K miles on it. I guess I will have to start troubleshooting it, thanks for the tip Wolfman.

- 2003 Saab 9-3 Arc

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Closed Thread