SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 11:27 PM   #1
LenZelinski
LenZelinski is on a distinguished road

Default Service light on but no codes

1996 SL1,Service light comes on about 20 seconds after starting car,runs fine,drives fine.checked with code reader and no codes found.what could it be?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LenZelinski's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LenZelinski reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2004, 02:10 PM   #2
Girafro
Girafro is on a distinguished road

I dont know but my sl2 came on yesterday morning and then went off last night. Why do they do that? My guess is it just comes on. DOes anyone know where to get a code reader?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Girafro's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Girafro reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-20-2004, 02:55 PM   #3
TedL
TedL is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Service light on but no codes

Quote:
Originally posted by LenZelinski
1996 SL1,Service light comes on about 20 seconds after starting car,runs fine,drives fine.checked with code reader and no codes found.what could it be?
Which "service" light?

Service (wrench icon) or "Service Engine Soon". The former will generally not set codes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TedL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TedL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-22-2004, 03:39 PM   #4
LenZelinski

it is the wrench light,i thought that was the only light?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help LenZelinski reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-22-2004, 03:45 PM   #5
TedL

No. [Wrench] is the non-emissions light. SES is emissions-engine performance-auto transmission problems.

My son's car showed it when he blew the chime fuse by playing the radio too loud.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TedL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TedL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-22-2004, 03:51 PM   #6
LenZelinski

good,i'll check the fuses.
why is the purpose of this light?
what does it indicate?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-22-2004, 04:07 PM   #7
TedL

It's purpose is to indicate a problem with the car. Dealers with the SSS can plug in and find out the specifics. Beyond that, both the owner's manual and the factory service manual are completely vague.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TedL's Reputation
Old 04-22-2004, 04:25 PM   #8
LenZelinski

ok,thanks again!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-22-2004, 04:41 PM   #9
LenZelinski

oh well,all fuses good,looks like a trip to the dealer is necessary.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-22-2004, 04:50 PM   #10
TedL

Is there anything electrical on the car that's not working?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TedL's Reputation
Old 04-22-2004, 07:21 PM   #11
LenZelinski

the service engine soon light is out,i started to take it apart but it's getting dark and rain is forecast.the ses never comes on even when starting,i never realized because i thought the service light was the SES kight.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-22-2004, 08:15 PM   #12
TedL

You scanned for codes and found none, so the SES light should not come on after you fix it, but you very well may have found the reason for the wrench light.

I have no idea, but one of the pros whose seens thousands of Saturns in a shop may know what turns the wrench light on. I only know the one that I related above - -a bad chime fuse.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TedL's Reputation
Old 11-01-2004, 10:16 PM   #13
Bill-kaz-jr
Bill-kaz-jr is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2

I recently had the same problem. Aftermarket stereo and a blown chime fuse on the way to work.

Before I left work, I checked the chime fuse and found it blown. Anyways, I robbed the cruise control fuse and then the SES light would come on about 30 seconds after starting. I drove like that for a day or two before I could get more fuses.

Anyways, after replacing the cruise control fuse, the SES light went out. I found it strange that the absence of the cruise control fuse would cause that light to come on

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bill-kaz-jr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bill-kaz-jr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread