SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2020, 12:42 PM   #1
Zeebins
Advanced Member
Zeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to behold

1997 SL2
Default New Fuel Pump for a 97

I want to finally replace the fuel pump in my 97. Are the any brands I should stay away from? Spectra Premium seems to be the most bought in RockAuto, but it has bad reviews on amazon. Is Carter still a good brand? Ive seen that mentioned here before.

Thanks for the help

97 SL2, auto, 117K miles
Powered by Plastic

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zeebins's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zeebins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zeebins is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2020, 10:07 PM   #2
dummo
Master Member
dummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SW2
Default Re: New Fuel Pump for a 97

Q: Does your 97 suffer from the bad starting up issue like mine is? after sitting a few minutes from turning off - it hesitates and takes a few tries with the turn of the key to get fuel flowing properly? (some sort of valve defect in the 97 fuel pumps ??)

1997 SW2 used 12/29/2011 with 124,200 -27 mpg
2004 Ion3 new 11/2003 (totaled) 11/2011 -23 mpg
1994 SL1 new traded
1992 SL2 new traded for above
* 1986 Yamaha ce50 Jog -100 mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dummo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dummo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 11:54 PM   #3
Zeebins
Advanced Member
Zeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to behold

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dummo View Post
Q: Does your 97 suffer from the bad starting up issue like mine is? after sitting a few minutes from turning off - it hesitates and takes a few tries with the turn of the key to get fuel flowing properly? (some sort of valve defect in the 97 fuel pumps ??)
It does, and I do wait for the fuel pump to prime before starting. My remote starter doesn't wait long enough though so it will sometimes struggle to start.

I had a feeling I would have this problem after getting the remote starter. I've wanted to replace it for a while now for convenience sake anyway.

97 SL2, auto, 117K miles
Powered by Plastic

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Zeebins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-14-2020, 12:01 AM   #4
Zeebins
Advanced Member

1997 SL2

I was also looking at this thread on how to replace the pump. The pics no longer work unfortunately...Is there a Richpin video on this, lol

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=142900

97 SL2, auto, 117K miles
Powered by Plastic

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-14-2020, 10:15 AM   #5
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

ShawnV took out more than I needed to on both a '93 SL2 and '96 SC2, but it reads as if he managed to get the tank out with the back end just lifted on standard height ramps (I had to jack both to the sky with the front bumper on the ground).

FSM guides attached.

This job is the only reason I can think of to run the gas tank dry. Run it as empty as you can, fill-up a 5gal can to put gas in when your done if you get worried about making the station afterward...the less gas in the tank when you start & the better off you'll be.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1997 Fuel Pump.pdf (45.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: pdf 1997 Fuel Tank.pdf (81.7 KB, 14 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 02:22 PM   #6
alakai66
alakai66 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebins View Post
I want to finally replace the fuel pump in my 97. Are the any brands I should stay away from? Spectra Premium seems to be the most bought in RockAuto, but it has bad reviews on amazon. Is Carter still a good brand? Ive seen that mentioned here before.

Thanks for the help
I had to replace mine recently. Brought the DELPHI FG0412 from Rockauto. Works fine for me. I had to replace mine because the hoses to the pump was leaking gas. Killed two birds with one stone. Hope you find what your looking for! Aloha!

"I find your lack of faith...disturbing!" - Darth Vader *Probably*

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alakai66's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alakai66 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alakai66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 05:08 PM   #7
dummo
Master Member
dummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SW2

Too bad there wasn't a recall for this issue with our 97's

1997 SW2 used 12/29/2011 with 124,200 -27 mpg
2004 Ion3 new 11/2003 (totaled) 11/2011 -23 mpg
1994 SL1 new traded
1992 SL2 new traded for above
* 1986 Yamaha ce50 Jog -100 mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dummo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dummo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 10:31 PM   #8
SRGW
Advanced Member
SRGW is a name known to allSRGW is a name known to allSRGW is a name known to allSRGW is a name known to allSRGW is a name known to allSRGW is a name known to all

1997 SL1
Post Re: New Fuel Pump for a 97

I took the easy way out. I wired a momentary push switch across the fuel pump relay. Get in car push switch for 7 seconds then normal turn key to start. Works every time

1995 SL1 236,300 2005>2018
1997 SL1 81,200 2014>????
CHECK YOUR OIL!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SRGW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SRGW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SRGW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 10:36 PM   #9
Zeebins
Advanced Member

1997 SL2

There was a factory service bulletin on the 97 pumps. Im pretty sure it only extended the warranty on the fuel pumps though, which are now long expired anyway.

Does anyone know if there is a sock/filter for the pump and the housing? I cant tell from the FSM if there is one for both of not.

97 SL2, auto, 117K miles