SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2020, 05:35 PM   #1
A2Saturn
A2Saturn is on a distinguished road

1994 SL1
Default need help with power steering pump part #

The car went on the lift this morning to check out a leaking power steering pump. It was recommended to replace the pump. Order from RA has been placed for the ps hose and ps return hose. The mechanic said I have the EVO component and said I should order ps pump AC Delco 36P1536. This part doesn't look like it's available. On the RA site, there are 12 different ps pumps available from 4 different companies. GM parts online shows that I should use GM part 21013318, and RA shows it being a favorite with buyers. Anyone have insight into the correct part I should be ordering??
I could see ps fluid dripping from the alternator. I'm consideringreplacing it before it fails while I'm doing the ps repair.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to A2Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help A2Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
A2Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2020, 07:48 PM   #2
SRGW
Advanced Member
SRGW is a name known to allSRGW is a name known to allSRGW is a name known to allSRGW is a name known to allSRGW is a name known to allSRGW is a name known to all

1997 SL1
Post Re: need help with power steering pump part #

ACDelco 21013318 GM Original Equipment Power Steering Pump Amazon 164.14 and free shipping. Amazon has the other pump also 129.57.

1995 SL1 236,300 2005>2018
1997 SL1 80,950 2014>????
CHECK YOUR OIL!!

Last edited by SRGW; 01-06-2020 at 07:57 PM.. Reason: add info

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SRGW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SRGW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SRGW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 10:05 AM   #3
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2
Default Re: need help with power steering pump part #

There's 2 pumps available, one with the EVO valve for the DOHC cars and one without the EVO valve for the SOHC cars. Various manufacturers make each pump with their own part numbers but they are not interchangeable (have to change the mount that bolts to the engine too).

If this is the car listed in your profile, either you have the wrong car listed or your mechanic is not to be trusted. Only the SC/SC2/SL2/SW2 have the EVO valve.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 11:04 PM   #4
A2Saturn

1994 SL1

The PS pumps on Amazon were several weeks to wait upon. Ordered a Cardone brand that cross references the 21013318 part # from the local Advance store. If it's not the correct one, and not installed, I can return, until we get the right one. The hoses arrived today, so I'm moving along on this project.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help A2Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-09-2020, 02:22 AM   #5
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Be aware that most aftermarket pumps are incredibly noisy. Like a jet engine. May be better to pick up a used pump at a junk yard. Will be quieter.
If you do fine an aftermarket one that doesnít scream let us know.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 11:49 PM   #6
A2Saturn

1994 SL1

Picked up the vehicle today, and the Cardone brand rebuilt pump is working good, and not noisy If it gives me issues, I'll look at going to manual steering.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-16-2020, 10:11 PM   #7
cgg17
Advanced Member
cgg17 is just really nicecgg17 is just really nicecgg17 is just really nicecgg17 is just really nice

1995 SL2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2Saturn View Post
Picked up the vehicle today, and the Cardone brand rebuilt pump is working good, and not noisy If it gives me issues, I'll look at going to manual steering.
I run a manual steering rack in my 95. It handles and feels great once it is rolling. Partially hard to turn when parallel parking, but other than that it is a very nice setup. You also have the SOHC head, so you can run the configuration with ease. All you will need is a manual rack and the shorter belt. I believe everything else can be left alone on the SOHC engine.
On a DOHC you either have to grind down a few support castings or find a smaller pulley.

1994 Sl2 5spd: 56,576 (Totaled 1/10/2018)
1995 Sl2 5spd Manual Swap: 150,062
1999 Sl2 4spd: 98,8xx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cgg17's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cgg17 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cgg17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 02:04 PM   #8
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

With a '93 SL2 and a '94 SL rack I also had to swap the u-joint to the steering column to get the manual rack to work (had both cars in my yard, easy fix). Not sure it's always required but best to grab it and not need it than have an unsteerable car.

When I tried to put a DOHC pump on a '97 SC1 the mount was different. Not only were the wrong holes threaded but the mount had bump outs that didn't match the DOHC pump. Again, easy fix if you grab the mount as well as the mount bolts onto the head/block the same.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 08:05 PM   #9
Goggles Pisano
Goggles Pisano is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1

Bumping up to bury the spammer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Goggles Pisano's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Goggles Pisano reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Goggles Pisano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 12:04 PM   #10
TomM96
TomM96 will become famous soon enoughTomM96 will become famous soon enough

Sooo Most hydraulic system failures result from Fluid Contamination, or degraded fluid.

So, flushing the fluid is preventive maintenance.

I would flush the fluid in the system with the Cardone reman pump several times to try to clean up the system fluid.
Drive car 45 minutes to warm up (and circulate fluid&particulates), use turkey baster to drain reservoir; fill reservoir with ATF or proprietary 'Power Steering'
fluid. If you do that several times, maybe double failure interval.
Need drain while fluid hot, soon after turn engine off.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TomM96's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TomM96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TomM96 is offline   Reply With Quote