SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2020, 08:23 AM   #1
jcl42
jcl42 is on a distinguished road

Default Transmission Question - Racing

Hello!

I have a 93 SL2 that we ran in a few endurance races last year and it did pretty well! We plan on running several more this year, with at least one road course format. Some of these races will definitely favor cars with a manual transmission, but at least two of the races will definitely favor a car with an automatic. The car is currently an MP3 manual, but the parts car I have is a 91 with an MP7 auto.

I realize the manual to auto swap probably hasn't been done often, but is it possible? I should have any and all parts I need to do it from the donor car. I'd like to have options and I don't mind swapping the transmission and shifter assembly in and out since we have a few weeks between races. I am obviously not concerned with a check engine light, but I am concerned the auto may not stay in 2nd gear. From what I understand it may try to shift into third gear even if the shifter is in second. Is that true, and is there a way to stop that?

As for the PCM, I'm not sure what exactly is in the racer but I was told by the guy I bought it from that it's an automatic PCM because he wanted to raise the rev limiter. So it may already be the correct PCM. If not, the parts car has one.

ANY info is appreciated!! Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jcl42's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jcl42 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jcl42 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2020, 09:25 AM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2
Default Re: Transmission Question - Racing

The parts car is a '91 and the racer is a '93? '91-'92's are a horrible parts car for anything other than another '91-'92 (though, if it's a DOHC swap the 4-2-1 header over to the '93). Swap guide: http://www.saturnwiki.net/wiki/index.php/Swap_Guide

If the '93 already has a '91 or '92 PCM in it...that's why you're loosing race's, not because the transmission gearing. The crankshaft reluctor ring is 7 off from where it is '93-'02 making them permanently and unfixably 7 retarded.

The auto should stay in gear with the gear selector set to a gear and the mode switch in "Performance". If you're just looking for a longer gear, find a MP2 to swap in, doesn't matter the year just that it has "MP2" printed on the bell-housing in a dot-matrix typeface.

If the '93 already has a manual transmission with a PCM from an automatic then it will have the CEL on with every code related to the automatic's.

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 07:28 PM   #3
billr
Master Member
billr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to all

The TAAT shift solenoids can be disconnected from the PCM and manually switched to force any gear or TC lock condition you want. There are "combinations" of the solenoids that need to be energized, so you would want to have a multi-pole rotary switch or some simple logic circuits. An Arduino or Raspberrry Pi could also be used, but those would over-kill. You effect shifting by paddles, push-buttons, stick, whatever you want and are clever enough to build. Voice control?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 10:56 PM   #4
Zeebins
Advanced Member
Zeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to behold

1997 SL2

You can swap manual to auto, you'd need at least the wiring, a way to cool it, an auto PCM, and an auto trans from the same year. (There might be exceptions to what years you can use but I'm not sure.)

If you do end up getting it working, or ever end up racing another auto, I'd recommend getting an external trans cooler. The autos already aren't as durable as the manuals and a little extra cooling will should help there longevity, especially when racing.

97 SL2, auto, 117K miles