SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2019, 10:53 AM   #1
onlinebiker
Advanced Member
onlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of light

Default It makes you want to strangle someone.

It had been a while since I recovered a headliner board - but I have done several. So you'd think I know what I am doing.

I get to removing the dome light and have a brain fart. Is it push up and slide to driver's side - or passenger's side?

To the uninitiated - one way removes it nicely - one way breaks off the mounting tabs.

Silly me. I consult the factory manual.

These gits. Look up dome light under electrical. All it shows is the wiring block. Grrrrr... Look up headliner - it is under BDVI 542.

First off - the lettets series are not in alphabetical order.

When I do manage to find the relevant section - page BDVI 418 - it says "Remove dome light assembly"

Grrrrrrrrr... Thanks a lot Captain Oblivious....

Then I did what I should have done in the first place.

SEARCH THIS BOARD!

Push up, slide to drivers side.

Yep.

That works.

Thanks.

92 SC2
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
01 SC2 x 2 yellow
02 SC2
02 SL2
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
98 SC2 - rusty frame minus engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onlinebiker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onlinebiker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onlinebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2019, 12:43 PM   #2
454cid
454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough

Default Re: It makes you want to strangle someone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlinebiker View Post
Silly me. I consult the factory manual.

These gits. Look up dome light under electrical. All it shows is the wiring block. Grrrrr... Look up headliner - it is under BDVI 542.

First off - the lettets series are not in alphabetical order.

When I do manage to find the relevant section - page BDVI 418 - it says "Remove dome light assembly".
That sounds like some of my experiences with my truck manual. The GM manuals are edited horribly in some areas. I got "remove rotor" when trying to get those details... they're not slide on like they are on our Saturns, they are held by the studs on the back side of the hubs, on the 8-lug GMT-400s. It also takes several tries to find the info, like you experienced.... I'll find info I never would have thought to exist, but not be able to find what I'm actually looking for. Oh well.... sure beats a Haynes or Chilton. My Haynes will often tell me that what I want to know is beyond the scope of that manual, or something like that.

2000 SL2 Automatic (back on the road) 17X,XXX miles.
1999 Chevy K3500

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 454cid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 454cid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
454cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 10:12 AM   #3
dummo
Master Member
dummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SW2

I will be doing my headliner soon.

Up and towards the Drivers side.

Thanks

1997 SW2 used 12/29/2011 with 124,200 -27 mpg
2004 Ion3 new 11/2003 (totaled) 11/2011 -23 mpg
1994 SL1 new traded
1992 SL2 new traded for above
* 1986 Yamaha ce50 Jog -100 mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dummo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dummo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 11:10 AM   #4
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Make sure you have 1" or so to wrap around the front and back. If you cut it to the edge it will come off eventually.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 12:04 PM   #5
onlinebiker
Advanced Member
onlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiex191 View Post
Make sure you have 1" or so to wrap around the front and back. If you cut it to the edge it will come off eventually.
Not using enough glue...

92 SC2
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
01 SC2 x 2 yellow
02 SC2
02 SL2
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help onlinebiker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-15-2019, 02:34 PM   #6
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

It is hard to really glue up the edges without making a mess.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-16-2019, 08:22 AM   #7
onlinebiker
Advanced Member

Are you putting glue on both the laminate and the fabric?

Also - how are you prepping the laminate?

92 SC2
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
01 SC2 x 2 yellow
02 SC2
02 SL2
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-16-2019, 09:15 AM   #8
Waiex191
Master Member

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlinebiker View Post
Are you putting glue on both the laminate and the fabric?

Also - how are you prepping the laminate?
Yep, two coats on each per the directions. I sanded off the old foam and glue, then cleaned it off. Posts on this page, starting at 42.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...=230898&page=3

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-16-2019, 10:23 PM   #9
Zeebins
Advanced Member
Zeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to behold

1997 SL2

If you're taking the headliner board down anyway, don't even bother removing the dome light until you have the board hanging in the car. The clips only hold onto a plastic board that's sandwiched between the headliner board and the roof. The plastic board is only held on by Velcro so it will separate on it's own from the weight of the board falling. once the board is ready to be removed, you'll be able to access the clips from the back of the board. Prying on the clips directly is defiantly easier than trying to use the whole assembly.

97 SL2, auto, 117K miles