SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2019, 06:28 PM   #1
Samtherecordman
Advanced Member
Samtherecordman is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe
Default CV Axle Shaft Boot Greas The Best #1 !!!!

CV Axle Shaft Boot Greas The Best #1 !!!!

So my CV Shaft Axle are going gtreat right now.

Just back 1.5months ago I changed both front Wheel beerings on the front of my 2007 Saturn Ion 3 w 2.4L engine. like a Grown man with both knees in the snow!!!

One small mistake i did was to punch one of the driver side ring that holds the boot, and yes i did nick it like super small hole. Enough for it to cry, just a tad bid.

So I got two now brand new Outter CV Shaft Boot Kit for my current two CV Shaft on the car.

Both Axle are original and good working condition. I just want to know this.

1. If I take both axle out, wash out the grease in the "Inner boot" snap back the ring to seal it back and 2. do the same with the "Outter boot" and snap back into the ring seal with the new boot and put back the axle in the place.

As I don't want to buy aftermarket CV Shaft, as I allready have the Renew stuff for it and I rather make it new again, but I want to make sure the grease I'm using for it is the top and not liquide like in the picture!

Thanks for all the imput,

Sam

Saturn Ion 3 Quad Coupe 3 with Sports Appearance package with Aura Pro Bass Shakers under the front seats, Kenwood Excelon Mono Amplifier and Infinity Kappa Perfect and I'm In Heaven!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Samtherecordman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Samtherecordman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Samtherecordman is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2019, 07:01 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: CV Axle Shaft Boot Greas The Best #1 !!!!

This my personal experience with rebuilding one two cv joints. This was for a Mercury Sable wagon. 3.9L V6 engine, automatic. Old style wagon. I bought the car with blown boots. Determined they weren't trashed with zero clicking at full right or left tuns with car moving, we figured it was worth rebuilding. At a shop, I jacked up one end to remove the cvj, sprayed it clean of grease (synthetic grease sticks to everything), examined the balls and retaining ring, used a tube of synthetic grease to smear all over the joint, inserted into the new boot and used the special clamping tool on new clamps. The cvj were original to the wagon, had about 75k miles on them when rebuilt. They lasted well into 140k miles without issues and never leaked. I used whatever cvj grease is recommended for Ford cv joints. My guess is synthetic grease and it sticks to whatever it touches. The ability to stick may be the key to lifetime lubrication as long as the boot remains intact. One tube per axle.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 07:08 PM   #3
Samtherecordman
Advanced Member

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe

So If I resume.....

1.Have Tacky Synthetic Grease
2. Have intact CV Axl Shaft Boot
3. Hellll Yeah, Well Thats What I'm Going To Do!!!!!

Cheerz,

Sam

Saturn Ion 3 Quad Coupe 3 with Sports Appearance package with Aura Pro Bass Shakers under the front seats, Kenwood Excelon Mono Amplifier and Infinity Kappa Perfect and I'm In Heaven!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Samtherecordman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-03-2019, 08:36 PM   #4
Samtherecordman
Advanced Member

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Was trying to upload these pictures earlier, now they work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF3697a.jpg (123.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3700a.jpg (106.9 KB, 1 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-03-2019, 08:39 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I failed to make you aware that what I did may not apply to anyone. I have no idea if synthetic grease is universal to all cv joints. My personal experience should be used as a guideline as I'm sure there are plenty of youtube videos and info just a few clicks away from google. When I did rebuild those cv joints, no Windows to search for info. I used a little common sense and hoped for the best.

Wiping off grease didn't work but spraying brake clean or other similar solvent did. Once the bulk of this grease was removed, examining the drive mechanics is crucial in addition to being sure it didn't click under stress in turns prior to disassembling for cleaning. Other cv joints use ball bearings, described as a tri pot design. Ball bearings are just as easy to check for wear. In either case, if a cvj is determined worn, replacement is the best option.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote