SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2007, 12:41 PM   #1
Kurt w/2001.SC2
Kurt w/2001.SC2 is on a distinguished road

Default windshield washer problems

Very new to this forum stuff so I apolagize for any awkwardness.
My washer pump works on the bench and the wire going to it (pink) is good from the firewall to the pump. After the firewall it goes into the windshield wiper motor. When I pull forward on my windshield lever the blades move 5 times or so but the pump is not being activated. Do I need a new or used column assembly switch? 40 bucks at the local salvage. Does the lever activate the motor and the pump on the same circuit or does the lever have 2 circuits one that tells the motor to go and one that tells the pump to pump. maybe I can fix the switch?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kurt w/2001.SC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kurt w/2001.SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kurt w/2001.SC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2007, 01:53 PM   #2
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2
Default Re: windshield washer problems

I think I'd get a voltmeter in there and verify that there 12V at the end of the wire going to the pump. You might also make sure it's getting a good ground. BTW if you decide you do need the switch, PM me. I'll make you a better price than that on one off a '97.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 02:07 PM   #3
Kurt w/2001.SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnOwl View Post
I think I'd get a voltmeter in there and verify that there 12V at the end of the wire going to the pump. You might also make sure it's getting a good ground. BTW if you decide you do need the switch, PM me. I'll make you a better price than that on one off a '97.
When i send 12 volts from the battery to the pink wire leaving the windshield wiper motor the pump works perfectly. So ground is good. The problem is there is no voltage being sent to the pump when the lever from the steering column is depressed. When the steering column lever is depressed the windshield wiper motor works but no power to the pump. I am wondering if the wiring diagram shows 2 circuits to the motor or 1. How much for your column assembly?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Kurt w/2001.SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-19-2007, 02:28 PM   #4
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

As long as you're in the lower 48, I can probably go $25 shipped.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-19-2007, 02:46 PM   #5
Kurt w/2001.SC2

Quote:
As long as you're in the lower 48, I can probably go $25 shipped.

did you see the reply I got for the wiring diagram? Can you understand that diagram? How hard to remove the assembly behind the steering wheel. I see 2 screws at the top. Hate for the airbag to deploy. wheel need to be removed?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-19-2007, 03:18 PM   #6
BarnOwl

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt w/2001.SC2 View Post
did you see the reply I got for the wiring diagram? Can you understand that diagram? How hard to remove the assembly behind the steering wheel. I see 2 screws at the top. Hate for the airbag to deploy. wheel need to be removed?
The wheel will have to be pulled. On a 2001 that can be a little tricky because in late '99 they quit putting threaded holes in them for pullers. The pic below shows the improvised way I did it on my 2000 to add cruise control. That's 1/8" cable I picked up at Lowes. Most people say to leave the nut on a few turns so you don't knock your teeth out and just keep yanking till it comes off. You'll need a new nut BTW. Whatever you do, don't beat on the column with a hammer. It's collapsible.

As for the air bag, pull the air bag fuse and wait 30 mins. Then disconnect the yellow harness on the steering column. The air bag is held on by these clip things. You release them at each corner by shoving a screwdriver in the holes in back and turning it 1/4 turn.

I can't really look at the diagram right now...sorry.

One thing I'm not sure of is whether the '97 multi-switch is compatible with the 2001. I think it would be.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-19-2007, 04:05 PM   #7
Kurt w/2001.SC2

Happy Re: windshield washer problems

Quote:
The wheel will have to be pulled. On a 2001 that can be a little tricky because in late '99 they quit putting threaded holes in them for pullers. The pic below shows the improvised way I did it on my 2000 to add cruise control. That's 1/8" cable I picked up at Lowes. Most people say to leave the nut on a few turns so you don't knock your teeth out and just keep yanking till it comes off. You'll need a new nut BTW. Whatever you do, don't beat on the column with a hammer. It's collapsible.

As for the air bag, pull the air bag fuse and wait 30 mins. Then disconnect the yellow harness on the steering column. The air bag is held on by these clip things. You release them at each corner by shoving a screwdriver in the holes in back and turning it 1/4 turn.

I can't really look at the diagram right now...sorry.

One thing I'm not sure of is whether the '97 multi-switch is compatible with the 2001. I think it would be.

I think you talked me out of it. I had been thinking about just putting in a on off switch on the dash by my knees somewhere and coming out of a key switched fuse. Now I know that is what I'm going to do.
Thanks so much for your help.'
I love this site!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-19-2007, 04:09 PM   #8
BarnOwl

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

Quote:
I think you talked me out of it. I had been thinking about just putting in a on off switch on the dash by my knees somewhere and coming out of a key switched fuse. Now I know that is what I'm going to do.
I love this site!!
Awwww no guts, no glory. J/K good luck with it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-08-2016, 07:35 PM   #9
JerryHughes
Master Member
JerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SL

Quote:
I love this site!!
Hey Kurt, how did the on-off switch work, in the end? If successful, would you mind postings the process? I need to do the same thing but have no experience with wiring at all. (As long as it's not too technical I'd give it a try) Thanks if you have the time, much appreciated.
Jerry

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JerryHughes's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JerryHughes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JerryHughes is offline   Reply With Quote