SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2015, 05:41 PM   #1
saturnsctwo
Master Member
saturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the rough

2001 SC2
Default coolant leak or just too much coolant?

on my 2001 sc2 on Saturday I added some coolant to the overflow bottle up to the max
cold mark, but I think I might have added a little too much as it's pretty close to the cap about an inch below. I left the level about half way when I changed the coolant a while ago. I drove the car today for an hour today & when the car sat a while I noticed a small coolant puddle under the passenger's side frame rail just behind the sway bar mount. there's a little on the frame in that area & on the lower engine mount bracket, but nowhere else.

I checked the overflow bottle, cap, water pump pulley, hoses & stat housing & everything's dry. no coolant spray anywhere that I can see. did I simply add too much coolant & the excessive vented out? I thought this but the overflow cap seems to be dry with no traces of coolant anywhere.

is there a place where excessive coolant/pressure can vent out other than the cap?

I never noticed any coolant under my car ever other than today after I added some on saturday. no overheating, smell of any kind, no warning light for low coolant. strange....

I didn't spill any that I know of either...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnsctwo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnsctwo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnsctwo is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2015, 06:08 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: coolant leak or just too much coolant?

The proper cold level is about 1/4" below the top of the separator wall in the reservoir, where is your level?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 07:27 PM   #3
saturnsctwo
Master Member
saturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the rough

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
The proper cold level is about 1/4" below the top of the separator wall in the reservoir, where is your level?
1/8" to 1/4" above.

there's like a seam around the inner tank & a like a straight line going across level with the seam. is this what you re referring to?

a little leaked out a while ago & then no more. the puddle was like 3" in dia.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help saturnsctwo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-08-2015, 07:58 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

You have too much in there. Look on the left front corner of the reservoir about 1" below the top horizontal seam, there is the normal cold level mark.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-08-2015, 08:07 PM   #5
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

Quote:
You have too much in there. Look on the left front corner of the reservoir about 1" below the top horizontal seam, there is the normal cold level mark.
so it's coming out somewhere then if overfilled? i'm going to remove some now turkey baster style....

I should just have left it alone as it probably was ok before.....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-08-2015, 08:35 PM   #6
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

just checked the level now. the engine temp is slightly above room temp & the coolant is on the seam above the full cold mark. I will wait until tomorrow so the engine is cold to check the level again & remove some as needed. it's probably better to have it at the lower cold level so there's more room for expansion. the level it was at before was right. I should have not added any....

I guess that's why there's a pressure cap to avoid damage if overfilled.....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-08-2015, 09:27 PM   #7
OldNuc

1998 SC2

There are 2 things here to deal with. The first is the normal thermal expansion of the water-glycol mix. Basically the volume will increase about 6 to 7 oz due to just the temperature change so you need room for this expansion and the second is if you do not have a 57% minimum antifreeze concentration the system pressure will increase due to the increased vapor pressure to prevent boiling. This will have an effect on system pressure and the temperature change expansion. The volume expansion results in about 10psig pressure in the system when the fan switches on and it will be higher if the atmospheric boiling point is below the fan on temperature. Check the antifreeze concentration and add 100% antifreeze to get it up to 60% or so. If you are using a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and water then the concentration in the system is somewhere in the 43% range.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-08-2015, 10:12 PM   #8
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

I run around a 70/30 mix... one gallon of coolant & the rest distilled water...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-09-2015, 03:10 AM   #9
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

Unless you have overheating and boiling mixture isn't going to change the pressure. Straight water in a properly working system easily brings the car up above fan on temp.

You either have too much coolant or a leak. My vote is the water pump, as they often hide the slow leak at first.

My neighbor had his reservoir filled really high, and it still didn't vent or leak. The smaller the air pocket, the quicker the pressure will rise.

Alordofchaos is worthy and hides in shadows only to hone his S Series knowledge ninja skills. Swift, silent, trustworthy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:48 AM   #10
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnsctwo View Post
I run around a 70/30 mix... one gallon of coolant & the rest distilled water...

The 1 gallon of 100% and the remainder water is a 57% glycol in water mix. Suspect the system was just over filled. Lower level to the line on the corner of the reservoir and monitor for leaks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-09-2015, 03:39 PM   #11
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

Quote:
The 1 gallon of 100% and the remainder water is a 57% glycol in water mix. Suspect the system was just over filled. Lower level to the line on the corner of the reservoir and monitor for leaks.
well i know I have more 100% coolant vs water in the car at all times. I don't see any leaks today after I removed some to the lower line & drove the car today. we'll keep an eye on it. wondering where the excess overflow came from though unless the cap did vent & just dried out before I opened the hood...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-09-2015, 03:53 PM   #12
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signmaster View Post
Unless you have overheating and boiling mixture isn't going to change the pressure. Straight water in a properly working system easily brings the car up above fan on temp.

You either have too much coolant or a leak. My vote is the water pump, as they often hide the slow leak at first.

My neighbor had his reservoir filled really high, and it still didn't vent or leak. The smaller the air pocket, the quicker the pressure will rise.
if overfilled due to heat expansion SOME must get out somewhere.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-09-2015, 03:54 PM   #13
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

the tiny puddle was under the overflow bottle. when these spring leaks I assume they leak on the seam around the side of the tank not underneath where you can not see it? as I said no leaks today so far though...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-09-2015, 04:05 PM   #14
OldNuc

1998 SC2

It came out from underneath the cap while still mostly cold/cool if you are lucky.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-09-2015, 05:05 PM   #15
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

Quote:
It came out from underneath the cap while still mostly cold/cool if you are lucky.
well if it did it dried out perfectly before I inspected it then. any way still no leaks...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-09-2015, 05:31 PM   #16
OldNuc

1998 SC2

If you are looking for wet on the underside of the cap and/or top of the reservoir then you have to look within minutes of the event. The only clue is a slight whitish deposit on the underside of the cap sometimes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-09-2015, 07:56 PM   #17
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

Quote:
If you are looking for wet on the underside of the cap and/or top of the reservoir then you have to look within minutes of the event. The only clue is a slight whitish deposit on the underside of the cap sometimes.
my car was parked in the garage for a couple of hours before I seen it, so who knows. I drove it today & didn't see any spots under the car. I'm taking the car Thursday to get that leaking transmission output shaft seal replaced would have told the mechanic to look under the car if the leak persisted, but I don't see any now. maybe some trickled down the side of the bottle out of the cap & dried up. the only explanation there is...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-10-2015, 11:30 AM   #18
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

hey old nuke I have been watching videos on water pump replacement here & you tube (richpin) & they look like an easy job, but in some of the videos I seen how they leak as they can seep at first out of the weep hole & down the engine block onto the floor. the lower engine mount gets wet as a result of the dripping coolant. there might not be any flinging of coolant & would dry up fast. this was exactly where my car left a small puddle & it has got me paranoid. I wonder what my water pump really looks like under that pulley.

a few questions: my car only has 80.000 miles on it low for the year, would a pump fail so soon? I see many threads on cars with twice the mileage & the oem pump still on the car.

any recommended brand other than oem?

is seepage out of the weep hole considered a bad pump as I see it can be some kind of pressure relieve valve as read on the internet?

I still see no more leakage, but i'm paranoid now...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-10-2015, 11:36 AM   #19
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

speaking of water pump brands other than oem look that this oem unit on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Genuine-...01afc8&vxp=mtr

not bad price but made in china! what the ****!

if that's the case why not just buy one at autozone or whatever with a lifetime wattanty? made in the same place I bet...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-10-2015, 11:45 AM   #20
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

is the stat easy to get at with the pump & fender splash shield removed?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!