SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2014, 11:02 PM   #1
vikasevan
vikasevan has a spectacular aura aboutvikasevan has a spectacular aura about

2001 SL2
2004 VUE 3.5L
Default How many lateral links or arms we have in 1998 sc2?

I am confused....do we have 4 lateral links/arms ?

if not..

two towards front of the car are called lateral links and two towards back of the car called trailing links/arms?

are they all same size?

they are called rear control arms?

and again all 4 are same size and specifications?

What happened is..I could not pull those two arms that are towards front of the car...I could pull out those which are towards rear of the car...but in my car...the ones which are in front are bent not the rear ones...

so my confusion/question is...can I use the rear ones I have pulled from junkyard to repalce the bent front ones I have ?

I hope am not too confusing to you guys...I dont have the right word for this part that is why...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vikasevan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vikasevan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vikasevan is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2014, 03:29 AM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2
Default Re: How many lateral links or arms we have in 1998 sc2?

Latteral links total 4
Trailing arms total 2

2 pairs of different length latteral links. Front pair is longer & stationary, rear pair is shorter and use to adjust toe.
Trailing arms are the same for both sides.

Latteral links go from the center of the rear subframe to the rear knuckle, trailing arms go from the front/forward portion of the wheel well to the knuckle.

#'s 18 and 19 are the latteral links; #15 is the trailing arm: http://parts.nalleygmc.com/images/pa...24ZZ07-001.JPG

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:17 AM   #3
vikasevan
vikasevan has a spectacular aura aboutvikasevan has a spectacular aura about

2001 SL2
2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
Latteral links total 4
Trailing arms total 2

2 pairs of different length latteral links. Front pair is longer & stationary, rear pair is shorter and use to adjust toe.
Trailing arms are the same for both sides.

Latteral links go from the center of the rear subframe to the rear knuckle, trailing arms go from the front/forward portion of the wheel well to the knuckle.

#'s 18 and 19 are the latteral links; #15 is the trailing arm: http://parts.nalleygmc.com/images/pa...24ZZ07-001.JPG
So we have 98 sc2 ....which years and models are compatible for frlnt lateral links?
And front and rear they both look the same.... are u sure they are different in length?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vikasevan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vikasevan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vikasevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:01 PM   #4
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

The rears are ~2in shorter than the front. 30000% positive after messing around with the evil buggers to replace the 220k mile old rubber bushings with brand new polyurethane bushings
If it's not too frozen & buried in the snow I can get a picture of just the knuckle with both links later.

'91-'02 all models interchange.
The "fun" part comes in if & when you have to get the link that's sandwiched between the bolt head and the knuckle, I had to cut the bolts on both sides and get new ones, Fastenel wanted $22/each for them and I managed to find a dealer that gave 'em away for $10/ea.

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 01:13 PM   #5
s.patrick
s.patrick is on a distinguished road

Thumbs Up Re: How many lateral links or arms we have in 1998 sc2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
The rears are ~2in shorter than the front. 30000% positive ...
Technically, the REAR Lateral Links are slightly "LONGER" then the forward or front of car lateral links (See below thread w/ pictures etc) and the front requires a T55 Torx bit socket at the cross-member. The BOLT at knuckle is discontinued but measures M14 x 2 x 300mm or 330mm. Great place to check for a Loaner Tool Program is Advance Auto Part or O'Reilly Auto Parts store whichever is closer or in your area. Advance Auto offers 14day loan time where O'Reilly is 48hrs. A good Advance Auto Product is:
Powerbuilt Tools Upper Control Arm Bushing Press Kit
Part No. 648604

Thread: 203651
Titled: How-To; SC1 Suspension Bushings Replacement

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s.patrick's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s.patrick reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s.patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 09:30 AM   #6
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Question about Rear Suspension Geometry, please...When the rear suspension is compressed, does the Toe measurement tend to go more positive?
Meaning, when the rear suspension is compressed,
does the Toe go from l l towards / \ ?

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 14 stalls to date (and loving it).
Oil use is 1 ounce per 100 miles with ~230,000 miles on the engine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 12:40 PM   #7
billr
Master Member
billr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to all

Are you asking about the S-series specifically, or IRS in general? Whatever it is, I think it is quite minor if the geometry design is done right. How much and which way (in or out) would depend on the specific design, and wear on all the compliant joints, of course. It probably changes with road loads of speed, cornering, braking, wind, etc. I suggest you start a new thread if you want to continue this discussion; it is not really germane to this OP's request.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote