SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2014, 10:58 PM   #1
blackbeard
blackbeard is on a distinguished road

1993 SC1
Arrow New Paintjob

So, as you can probably tell from my profile pic, my 93 Sc1 could use some new paint. Looking for a decent $0-$500 job.
Anything goes. Ive heard things about Maaco, and that it depends on which one you go to. I wouldn't trust the maaco near me with my spit.

The only difference between an idiot's arguement and a knife is that the knife has a point.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blackbeard's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blackbeard reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blackbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2014, 11:20 PM   #2
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1
Default Re: New Paintjob

If you're trying to get a decent paint job on a budget, you might want to check with the smaller shops. Depending on workload you might be able to find one that will allow you to do the prep work, and/or wetsanding and polishing after the paint. Otherwise I really wouldn't expect much at all for $500.

There are places that do really good work for reasonable rates, but really $500 to paint a car properly is a budget job.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:28 AM   #3
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeard View Post
So, as you can probably tell from my profile pic, my 93 Sc1 could use some new paint. Looking for a decent $0-$500 job.
Anything goes. Ive heard things about Maaco, and that it depends on which one you go to. I wouldn't trust the maaco near me with my spit.
You can use Rust-Oleum spray paint with proper prep and get a real nice looking paint job if you want to put the time into it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 01:21 PM   #4
cloud819
Master Member
cloud819 will become famous soon enough

2001 SC2

I have collected several books over the years concerning doing your own paint and body work. A few of the better ones tend to devote whole chapters to the idea that it may not be worth messing with it. Most times they talk about looking at the value of the car and making a determination based on its value. I think a SC1 probably falls into the area where you should do that. It will cost you money and time that is probably best spent elsewhere. I feel you on wanting to spruce it up, but I'd point you towards moving out of it and into something nicer. In the long run you'll be happier.

If you had a bunch invested in this car, perhaps their is a valid reasoning. But if you counted what the stuff costs and what your time is worth painting it yourself isn't a great bargain. Neither is paying someone for a crappy $500 job; And $500 paint jobs are crappy.

But in the end I'd quote Easy-E and say, "I Looked At Ma Car And I Said "Oh Brother, I'll Throw It In The Gutter And Go Buy Another". For the value of your car and the price to get it painted (or paint it yourself) you can upgrade. I say if you want a nicer car save some money sell out of the 20+ year old SC1 and buy something better with nice paint.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cloud819's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cloud819 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cloud819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 01:42 PM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

That would be the "green eyeshade" approach. Good automotive paint is unbelievable expensive and the equipment to apply it is likewise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-04-2014, 08:22 PM   #6
Montreal300
Montreal300 has a spectacular aura aboutMontreal300 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL1

Just getting the right primer, paint, clear and the other materials like tape, paper and sanding blocks would eat a huge chunk of that $500 let alone the right equipment to spray.
I shoot the front facia of my Chrysler every few years to freshen it up from rock chip damage. I have all of the equipment and paint already and even then the time it takes to prep is one full day with the clip removed from the car. When I paint Chrysler and Dodge front clips for friends with the same color as mine, I charge $250 which is a bargain for at least 2.5 days of work. Sanding and prepping, three coats of color and three of clear with wet sanding between clear coats takes time and patience.

Remember, I'm talking about a front clip and not the whole car.

2002 SL1 (55,000 km @ 11/12/2016)
2006 Chrysler 300C (modified)
2012 Hyundai Santa Fe
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Montreal300's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Montreal300 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Montreal300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:47 PM   #7
jhonky
jhonky is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

how much is a good paint job? 500 is crappy, what is the price point for a good paint job?

98 SL2
5th gear swap- .643 gear
245,000 miles
215/45 17"
I burn about a quart about every 1500 miles.

If it ain't broke, fix it some more.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jhonky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jhonky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jhonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:09 PM   #8
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Thousands.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-05-2014, 12:26 PM   #9
proveniebam
Advanced Member
proveniebam is a jewel in the roughproveniebam is a jewel in the roughproveniebam is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2

How long is a piece of string?

$3000. (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=109547)
$2000. (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=177153)
$8000. (full parts off respray with high end paint and body work made perfect)

How bad is the body? Will you do all of the prep work? etc.

Nice job of a home paint job: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=154427

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to proveniebam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help proveniebam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
proveniebam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 12:44 PM   #10
TXSaturn02
Master Member
TXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

It is not 'worth' it. The thing I hate most about buying a new car is waiting for that first scratch or dent. The thing I love most about driving my old Saturn is that I don't worry about where I park it (or drive it). And more and more these days, the 'disadvantaged' out there only become hateful of your pretty toy.

I would do it if I won the lottery and had a bundle to 'throw away'. I would go even further and have the entire car restored, but only if I had at least a couple of million in the bank (at least). Then the project becomes 'peanut' money.

Ask any expert on car restoration and they will all tell you it is a labor love and not much anything else.

2002 SL2 Manual - new in November, 2001
As of 09/30/17: 223,751 Miles - SOLD
New owner report of 08/08/19: 234,408 Miles

2013 Mazda 3 HB - new in October 2012
As of 07/25/18: 51,495 Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TXSaturn02's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TXSaturn02 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TXSaturn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 12:55 PM   #11
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSaturn02 View Post
The thing I love most about driving my old Saturn is that I don't worry about where I park it (or drive it).
Nothing like when people park too close to the line, and you pull in right in the middle of your spot not worrying if they will scratch your cheap car with their expensive car
Attached Images
File Type: jpg O8VW9QK.jpg (70.3 KB, 119 views)

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 02:51 PM   #12
OldNuc

1998 SC2

I bet that was taken in California. The expensive car drivers tend to use 2 parking spots so the don't get a dent.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-05-2014, 03:32 PM   #13
TXSaturn02
Master Member
TXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
I bet that was taken in California. The expensive car drivers tend to use 2 parking spots so the don't get a dent.
Plenty of *#&$*# that do that here in Texas.

2002 SL2 Manual - new in November, 2001
As of 09/30/17: 223,751 Miles - SOLD
New owner report of 08/08/19: 234,408 Miles

2013 Mazda 3 HB - new in October 2012
As of 07/25/18: 51,495 Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TXSaturn02's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TXSaturn02 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TXSaturn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:32 PM   #14
APAACARMMANN
APAACARMMANN is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2
2001 SC2

depends on who you know at maaco. sometimes their work is ok and sometimes they could have done better. it is a labor of love. i remember a long while back i painted my cheapie cheapie car either in krylon or rusteoleum and it came out real decent.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to APAACARMMANN's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help APAACARMMANN reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
APAACARMMANN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:34 PM   #15
Montreal300
Montreal300 has a spectacular aura aboutMontreal300 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhonky View Post
how much is a good paint job? 500 is crappy, what is the price point for a good paint job?
$5,000 for a job that you'll be happy with and without overspary and orange peel anywhere. A white car is the easiest to paint because it hides flaws the best. Obviously, black with metal flake is the worst.

2012 Hyundai Santa Fe
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Montreal300 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-05-2014, 07:34 PM   #16
OldNuc

1998 SC2

That is about right and just about every automotive paint in existence has some type/color of metal flake in it which makes application a 1st class PITA.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-05-2014, 08:45 PM   #17
Montreal300

2002 SL1

I found out the hard way that you can't sand metal flake between coats because you "smear' the flakes which looks like crap. You have to put down 3 good clean even coats of base color in order for the clear to really pull the color out and make it look like it's a foot deep.

2012 Hyundai Santa Fe
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-05-2014, 08:53 PM   #18
APAACARMMANN
APAACARMMANN is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2
2001 SC2

i know the 97 sc2 in black has gold in the paint. i only need to do the front bumper when we have some nice weather, and it shouldnt be hard to paint.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to APAACARMMANN's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help APAACARMMANN reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
APAACARMMANN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:20 PM   #19
OldNuc

1998 SC2

I have a CJ-7 with that brown with gold flake paint and it is blindingly expensive, might as well be real gold.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-05-2014, 11:17 PM   #20
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Anyone willing to pay double for whatever business they're doing where they park is welcome to take two spots. I know in a lot of big-city parking ramps, an attendant cruises around and checks for this, and when the dude is on his way out, they charge him for two spots.

(I would've been tempted to park a LOT closer to that Jerkcedes if I were driving that Chevy; woulda been fun to scout down a Smart driver to park on the other side....)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote