SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2014, 02:57 PM   #1
blackbeard
blackbeard is on a distinguished road

1993 SC1
Default Saturns in Racing?

Before I buy an SC2 and start modding, what type of racing are Saturns good in? Rallycross? 1/4 Mile? Cone slalom? I know that these cars have weak engines, especially in the SOHC's (and by weak I mean slow).

The only difference between an idiot's arguement and a knife is that the knife has a point.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blackbeard's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blackbeard reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blackbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2014, 03:39 PM   #2
sallydriver
sallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to all

1999 SL2
1993 SW2
Default Re: Saturns in Racing?

Everyone I've seen on here seems to be doing autocross. Course, there are one or two drag racing teams, but their cars are heavily modified.

1998 Red SL 5spd "The Right Honorable Duke Farnsworth the Functional of Clearfield":165,000 miles
1999 Forest Green SL2 5spd "Sally": 307,100+ miles
1993 White SW2 5spd "Steve": 234,984 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sallydriver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sallydriver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sallydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:50 PM   #3
proveniebam
Advanced Member
proveniebam is a jewel in the roughproveniebam is a jewel in the roughproveniebam is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2

Autocross is popular. I run 3/8 oval ashphalt, other's I've seen on 3/8 oval dirt. There's a couple of near stock dragsters as well as heavily modified.

SC2 is the most popular I've seen because it's a DOHC and a stiffer suspension for cornering.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to proveniebam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help proveniebam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
proveniebam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:52 PM   #4
proveniebam
Advanced Member
proveniebam is a jewel in the roughproveniebam is a jewel in the roughproveniebam is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallydriver View Post
2006 DiamondBack Response Sport "Thor":1,200 miles
Need a new saddle?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help proveniebam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-23-2014, 10:13 AM   #5
topodaddy
topodaddy is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

Back when I was stationed at Ft. Campbell, there was a guy who ran a first gen SL on the local dirt track, but it often finished last, several laps down, but he gave it his all every weekend.

1999 Saturn SL2
Homecoming Edition
"Freedom isn't Free!"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to topodaddy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help topodaddy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
topodaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:24 AM   #6
proveniebam
Advanced Member

1998 SC2

My first season in 98 SC2 Automatic I won a heat race and a feature race, finished the season in third and won rookie of the year.

In every race I was in with the leaders even though I was running 300lbs heavier than the rest.

I missed one meet because the belt tensioner failed. Crashed out on the last feature of the year because the axle snapped.

Very realiable and forgiving for a novice racer.

My only complaint is the plastic panels. They break very easily where metal would crumple and stay attached.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-24-2014, 09:16 PM   #7
blackbeard

1993 SC1

So, is it worth tuning Saturns for autocross?

The only difference between an idiot's arguement and a knife is that the knife has a point.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help blackbeard reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-24-2014, 10:39 PM   #8
cloud819
Master Member
cloud819 will become famous soon enough

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeard View Post
So, is it worth tuning Saturns for autocross?
I'm going to play with the question if you don't mind.

Is it worth autocrossing a Saturn?

Yes, they are sporty handling little cars. And even autocrossing a Crown Vic is a fun experience if you are only concerned about having fun and improving your skills. Throwing a few things (Tires) at the car to make it better at the sport may help your enjoyment of the car, but I'd keep it under control.

Is it worth modding for autocross?

Depends on what your goals are. The curtain is closing on a Saturn being even a reasonable car for modded classes. The years of any off the shelf high-end parts are over and the cars have largely been placed in a category that makes even the best choice of Saturn with the best parts a 3rd or 4th string car. So if you want to really compete in a modded Saturn have a big checkbook to have one-off parts fabbed and enjoy not winning in anything but smallish local events.

I'd advise against modding for Autocross. If you have to mod for your enjoyment fine, but keep those mods pretty light.

If you are really wanting to compete in Autocross don't mod at all, the Saturn sits in it's most competitive class as a stock car. Really leaving the car alone and just driving it will make you a better driver and prepare you for a more capable car in the future.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cloud819's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cloud819 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cloud819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:30 PM   #9
blackbeard

1993 SC1

You pretty much nailed it cloud819.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-27-2014, 05:27 AM   #10
sallydriver
sallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to all

1999 SL2
1993 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by proveniebam View Post
Need a new saddle?
On my third!

1998 Red SL 5spd "The Right Honorable Duke Farnsworth the Functional of Clearfield":165,000 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help sallydriver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-28-2014, 09:05 PM   #11
westwind999
westwind999 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2
1999 SW1

I'd agree that the most competitive situation will likely be in the stock autocross class. It's a pretty light car stock and the SC2 5 speed has a decent powerband for autocross that is set up with lots of turns and relatively short straights. You can likely embarrass some pretty expensive newer cars. It would be a good car to learn in, lots of spare parts in the junk yards still, if you break something.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to westwind999's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help westwind999 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
westwind999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:17 PM   #12
sallydriver

1999 SL2
1993 SW2

I Googled it out of boredom once and even found several rally cars that were Saturn. One was an SL2, even.

Mine will probably be the first wagon, though.

*quietly chuckles evilly to self.*

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-29-2014, 01:20 AM   #13
blackbeard

1993 SC1

Just curious, how much more does the SW weigh than the SL or SC?
Are they cheaper? Cause' I like the looks of those SW's a lot...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-29-2014, 01:30 AM   #14
Chub
Chub will become famous soon enough

1995 SC2

Quote:
The nearly completely correct list of S-series curb weights. If you have or do not have some options this will vary slightly.

http://www.differentracing.com/tech_...urbweight.html

If you want to know some fun stuff about weight reduction for racing then check this out:
http://www.evilplastic.com/p92-wgt1.htm

1995 SC2: Back on the road again after my second engine rebuild in two years.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chub's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chub reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 03:12 PM   #15
CheapRacer
CheapRacer is on a distinguished road

1996 SC1
1996 SC1

Quote:
Before I buy an SC2 and start modding, what type of racing are Saturns good in? Rallycross? 1/4 Mile? Cone slalom? I know that these cars have weak engines, especially in the SOHC's (and by weak I mean slow).
Been drag racing one of those "slow" single cam SC1s for a couple of years picking up trophys, making $$ and having a blast doing it. For the whole story click the link below:
http://www.maritimedragracing.com/tinkerbell.htm

Green 1996 SC-1, Stock, Sportsman class Drag Racer, 17.97 ET @ 75 MPH.
Green 1996 SC-1, 355 Chev, NHRA/IHRA 10.90 class.
1994 Chev ext cab short box 2WD Daily Driver

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CheapRacer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CheapRacer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CheapRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 04:59 PM   #16
sallydriver

1999 SL2
1993 SW2

Quote:
Oddly enough, the coupe is the heaviest, on average. I picked the wagon because...well...it was only $300 and I've always wanted a wagon.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-29-2014, 05:39 PM   #17
AlexofNazareth
Master Member
AlexofNazareth will become famous soon enough

2002 SL1
2006 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheapRacer View Post
Been drag racing one of those "slow" single cam SC1s for a couple of years picking up trophys, making $$ and having a blast doing it.
You're running 18s. "Slow" = slow.

'02 SL1 [w/ a snail-shaped muffler]
'06 Vue RL
Saturn Night is Special ED.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AlexofNazareth's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AlexofNazareth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AlexofNazareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:38 PM   #18
CheapRacer
CheapRacer is on a distinguished road

1996 SC1
1996 SC1

Slow yes - but watching a 7 second dragster coming at you in the mirror and getting to the finish line before him is more fun than you can imagine(especially if you get a lot of $$ for doing it)

Green 1996 SC-1, Stock, Sportsman class Drag Racer, 17.97 ET @ 75 MPH.
Green 1996 SC-1, 355 Chev, NHRA/IHRA 10.90 class.
1994 Chev ext cab short box 2WD Daily Driver

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CheapRacer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CheapRacer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CheapRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 01:59 AM   #19
AlexofNazareth
Master Member
AlexofNazareth will become famous soon enough

2002 SL1
2006 VUE Red Line

Not my idea of fun, but to each his own.

Throw a turbo on it.

'02 SL1 [w/ a snail-shaped muffler]
'06 Vue RL
Saturn Night is Special ED.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AlexofNazareth's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AlexofNazareth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AlexofNazareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:53 PM   #20
blackbeard

1993 SC1

The "slow" sc1's are still a blast to throw around turns.
Near my place there is an almost rally-like road, with tons of great turns, slopes, scenery, and slaloms. Woo Hoo on my way home from work.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!