SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2010, 05:05 PM   #1
magnoliasouth
magnoliasouth is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Question Where on God's green earth is the "Blower motor resistor" on 2000 LS1?

I have a Hayne's manual and while this may sound elementary to a lot of you, it's not to me. Please speak to me like I'm two.

This is what it says:

Blower Motor Resistor
  • Remove the instrument panel. I'm assuming this is the panel for speedometer/odometer, etc. I'm not sure though because nothing says so for certain.
  • Remove the right side heater outlet duct.
  • On vehicles equipped with auto climate control, disconnect air aspirator hose. Is that just what it says it is? A black hose? Should I expect to see it absolutely directly behind the heater duct?
  • Remove blower motor resistor mounting screw, then remove the resistor from the evaporator housing.
  • Disconnect the blower resistor card (is that like a computer card?) from the blower connector.
So before I tear up my car please tell me if I have this right: I can expect to find the resistor behind the drivers side right air duct (after removing odometer paneling), which is in front of a hose.

Just call me Mona Lisa Vito (flexes female muscle)!

There's no pictures so I'm not certain what I'm looking for.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to magnoliasouth's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help magnoliasouth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
magnoliasouth is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2010, 11:46 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Where on God's green earth is the "Blower motor resistor" on 2000 LS1?

OK, there are S-series SL1's or the L-series LS1's(?). Which model do you have? One has the 4cyl engine and the other may have either the 4cyl or V6 6cyl engine. This may make a difference in where the resistor card is located. Misinformation begets more misinformation.......

And is there a reason for this card hunt?

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 12:17 PM   #3
magnoliasouth
magnoliasouth is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: Where on God's green earth is the "Blower motor resistor" on 2000 LS1?

LS1 = L Series 1. I didn't even notice that on my profile (SL1), which I'll fix now. Senior moment. Actually it took me a few minutes to figure out why you were asking, then there it was glaring at me.

The AC fan doesn't function at any speed (or at all) and it was burning as if the resistor went out. What do you think? Should I be looking at something else?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to magnoliasouth's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help magnoliasouth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
magnoliasouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 07:03 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Its buried toward the passenger side firewall on the HVAC box and you may not be able to see it but if you can you may be able to remove it otherwise the glove box, bcm, and other small items have to be removed before clear access is available. Send me an e-mail address for the pdf's if you like.

There seems to be issues about the blower motors and resistor cards in more than one model and the common point may be the ground return for the fans burning wires either at the connector, the connector themselves or at the ground connection. Burned/cooked insulation appears as the obvious failure point.

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-10-2013, 06:41 PM   #5
jnordin96
jnordin96 is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Sad Re: Where on God's green earth is the "Blower motor resistor" on 2000 LS1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Its buried toward the passenger side firewall on the HVAC box and you may not be able to see it but if you can you may be able to remove it otherwise the glove box, bcm, and other small items have to be removed before clear access is available. Send me an e-mail address for the pdf's if you like.

There seems to be issues about the blower motors and resistor cards in more than one model and the common point may be the ground return for the fans burning wires either at the connector, the connector themselves or at the ground connection. Burned/cooked insulation appears as the obvious failure point.
I'm a young teenager with a 2000 Saturn LS-1. My fan stopped blowing about a week ago and at any speed, any heat level, or any setting the fan will not blow (however I do feel the heat). It was blowing intermittently for a few days, the completely stopped. I took it to my grandfather's garage and he sanded down the oxidized fuse under the hood. That seemed to work however the next day (today) it stopped again when I was pulling into my driveway.

What is the issue? I just purchased a volt tester which should help in testing the electrical connections. I have downloaded an image of the wiring scheme of the HVAC blower motor from this forum however I need more help. Any ideas? Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TifToGif.jpg (135.4 KB, 20 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jnordin96's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jnordin96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jnordin96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:49 PM   #6
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

See pics below. You may have to look under the passenger side for blower wiring or look under the cabin filter cover to find blower wiring for signs of discoloration in wiring to indicate over heating. The HVAC control head may have to be removed too for examination of wiring.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blower access.jpg (186.9 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg blower motor.jpg (163.3 KB, 27 views)

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!