SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods

Old 10-26-2013, 01:09 AM   #1
codyas
codyas is on a distinguished road

Default mod question.

i'd like to figure if a mod for performance while holding decent mpg is available

maybe electrical rigs.. to trick things at open throttle..
on a sohc engine.
codyas is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2013, 01:38 AM   #2
anmasher
anmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2
1996 SL2
Default Re: mod question.

Modding an SOHC for performance? Sell it and buy a DOHC. Then do the dual intake cam mod for cheap or Mid-Penn Street cams for more power/cost. A junkyard build can also be a reasonably cost effective way of getting some decent power, but you have to know which parts to mix and match or it will end badly.
anmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:26 AM   #3
Recycled Saturn
Advanced Member
Recycled Saturn has a spectacular aura aboutRecycled Saturn has a spectacular aura aboutRecycled Saturn has a spectacular aura about

There are very few mods for performance on a SOHC (power-wise anyway). A DOHC swap or selling the car to buy a SL2, SW2, SC2 would be your best option.

With the SOHC you can get a CAI and OBX header, which shouldn't hurt MPGs, but you will see little if any gain from either
1998 SL2-AMR Strut Bar, AEM CAI, and 119,XXX
Recycled Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:27 AM   #4
Recycled Saturn
Advanced Member
Recycled Saturn has a spectacular aura aboutRecycled Saturn has a spectacular aura aboutRecycled Saturn has a spectacular aura about

I would recommend weight-reduction if you decide you are stuck on the SOHC. You will notice both better MPGs, and also slightly better acceleration
Old 10-26-2013, 12:31 PM   #5
codyas

yeah it would help if i didn't lug around 350 pounds of tools... i do have a twin cam engine that needs something figured out... see it leaks oil and mixes oil into coolant but the gasket appears fine... i need a new gasket now though but could heads be warp? or something.. its a 95 twin cam... would heads from 98 fit this? if warp head is whats wrong i'd fix it since other than the leaks it ran fantastic
Old 10-26-2013, 01:15 PM   #6
anmasher
anmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2
1996 SL2

98 head fits, you'll need to tap a hole for the extra coolant sender in the 95 PCM/Harness.

The 95 head is probably cracked. Read more about the dual intake cam swap before putting either head on - you'll need to grind a piece off of the head and it is much easier to do while off the engine.
anmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:54 PM   #7
codyas

ok.... my car is a sw2 stock. i just swap out for the single cam to be able to use the car and so twin cam sustains no further damage... i'd like to fix it.. it had this problem i just bought it. i drove it for 2 weeks and the waterpump seal blew so i had to have 20 gallons of water so it wouldn't blow up hope to save it etc.... but it was already blown up when i bought it.... previous owner did NOTHING.... 134000 miles it had the original trans fluid and filter the original belt tenchoner that let belt loose and sqeaks like anything it had good pitch black oil

also.... when it gets heated up with this single cam it likes to sputter out when gas is push further than half.... and if you put it in drive it revvs up. put in neutral it revvs up to 2400 rpm and very slowly backs down to 800.

known issues that may cause but not sure

1. fuel system is dohc. including injectors.
2. neutral saftey switch broken. i put a fuse in so it start..
3. slams into 3rd gear.. not 2nd.. 3rd....
4. iat tricked at 288 degrees
Old 10-26-2013, 10:07 PM   #8
codyas

98 heads came with black lids right? like. the valve cover black.. and 98 newer anyway more reliable part less miles.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:34 AM   #9
Recycled Saturn
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyas View Post
98 heads came with black lids right? like. the valve cover black.. and 98 newer anyway more reliable part less miles.
96 engines and newer came with a plastic valve cover. Watch out though because in 99 they made the head thinner and it will not fit.

If you find a newer head, I would swap your aluminum valve cover over to it. The plastic ones warp and leak
Old 10-27-2013, 11:20 AM   #10
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recycled Saturn View Post
96 engines and newer came with a plastic valve cover. Watch out though because in 99 they made the head thinner and it will not fit.

If you find a newer head, I would swap your aluminum valve cover over to it. The plastic ones warp and leak
The aluminum covers only fit '91-'98 DOHC and '91-'92ish use a sightly different bolt pattern. All SOHC covers are aluminum. Nothing but the plastic cover for '99-'02 DOHC without spending $$$ for a custom cover.

Once you get '95 SOHC injectors on that junkyard queen you can remove the silly 288 IATS mod and the car will be so much happier. If you want it to feel like it's got some torque to it, swap to a MP3 5spd (you won't get SOHC mileage but it'll accelerate better in the upper gears).
The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:36 PM   #11
codyas

ok.. just curious as well. if 1991 to 1994 heads fit 95? the place i go i like to shop around for the best part i can find.... like the 92 sohc i got some parts that car had 40 000 miles why they junked it.. who knows... forgot my knock sensor is broke too. idk if that affect anything.. i'd like it to work i don't know why it revvs up by itself like that though
Old 10-27-2013, 12:38 PM   #12
codyas

and how it craps out it floods itself... somehow get no response at throttle and it just burns so rich it flood out
Old 10-27-2013, 10:41 PM   #13
S3aturnR
Master Member
S3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL2
1999 SL1

Quote:
i'd like to figure if a mod for performance while holding decent mpg is available

maybe electrical rigs.. to trick things at open throttle..
on a sohc engine.
nope. none at all. there's not much you can do even if mpg wasn't an issue.

well, unless you consider a "for sale" sign a modification. then just buy a faster car. preferably one that came from the factory with a turbo...

s3aturnr
"reno is a lot like maybury, except everyone's on crystal meth and prostitution's legal" - junior
S3aturnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:18 AM   #14
Thor4SL2
Thor4SL2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
ok.. just curious as well. if 1991 to 1994 heads fit 95? the place i go i like to shop around for the best part i can find.... like the 92 sohc i got some parts that car had 40 000 miles why they junked it.. who knows... forgot my knock sensor is broke too. idk if that affect anything.. i'd like it to work i don't know why it revvs up by itself like that though
The 91-94 heads will not fit a 95 engine. 95 was the first year for the electric EGR valve. I thing there was an adaptor for California cars but it would be very hard to find.
It's not what you know that counts,
it's what you think of in time!
Thor4SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:51 AM   #15
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The 92+ head fits but you have an EGR mounting problem the 95 and later is a better bet. There is something odd with the 91 but I forget what it is.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:01 PM   #16
AlexofNazareth
Master Member
AlexofNazareth will become famous soon enough

2002 SL1
2006 VUE Red Line

I have 2 EGR adapters for sale.
'02 SL1 [w/ a snail-shaped muffler]
'06 Vue RL
Saturn Night is Special ED.
AlexofNazareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:28 PM   #17
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
There is something odd with the 91 but I forget what it is.
Valve cover bolt pattern in the spark plug wells?
The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:26 PM   #18
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

I thought there was something with the 91 year engine/trans mount. VC is definitely different and not swappable. Bottom line is that it is not a head you want to have to deal with.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:28 PM   #19
sallydriver
sallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to all

1999 SL2
1993 SW2

I remember reading the '91 having a sort of strut transmission mount. Only '91-'93 transmissions can be installed in a '91, so I heard.
1998 Red SL 5spd "The Right Honorable Duke Farnsworth the Functional of Syracuse":165,000 miles
1999 Forest Green SL2 5spd "Sally": 307,100+ miles
sallydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:09 PM   #20
OldNuc

1998 SC2

91-early 93 fit. The 93 is one of those years where there are early and late versions.