SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 03:22 PM   #1
TurboZutek
TurboZutek is a jewel in the roughTurboZutek is a jewel in the roughTurboZutek is a jewel in the roughTurboZutek is a jewel in the rough

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Air Conditioning Oddity

Hey everyone!

Today I was replacing the coolant on my 2003 L200 (2.2) and it all went very well. Draincock opened up nicely, everything drained out good, splendid!

One thing of concern I did notice when I was bleeding the system afterwards was that the AC pump would run at odd times. I understand the AC should come on with the demist function for the front screen (when the dial is all the way to the right), but the pump was firing up when the control was set to ANYTHING at all on the right hand side.

Face vents only (dial all the way left) = AC off
Bottom and face vents = AC off
Hitting the middle of the dial = AC pump ON and spinning.
Bottom only = AC ON and spinning.
Both screen vent positions (dial to the right) = AC ON and spinning.

WTF? Has anyone else seen this? Is this normal behaviour? Why?

How much gas have I wasted over the years by running the AC when I don't want it?

Any thoughts guys and girls?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TurboZutek's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TurboZutek reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TurboZutek is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2013, 06:54 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Air Conditioning Oddity

Are you sure the compressor is actually running, creating cold air or is it just spinning without making cold air? One of two ways to tell would be to select/dial 'C' on the temperature knob on low/medium fan speed in face vent mode. It will have to be warm outside to notice if the compressor is running (presuming a/c is in good working condition) and making cold air or if outside air isn't conditioned. The other way to tell if the compressor is running is the a/c indicator and compressor clutch engaging with a distinctive loud click as the clutch is energized. If the a/c button/indicator isn't pressed ON then only outside air should be felt. I don't know if your controls defaults to a/c mode when turning on the blower. Auto climate controls like mine in L300's defaults to a/c mode when manually turning on the HVAC system. Pressing the A/C OFF button will disable the compressor for normal blower and temperature use unless selecting defrost. My guess is that 'upscale' L300 owners prefers auto a/c continuously, selecting 'auto' fan control and dialing in a temperature for total auto climate control without ever touching the HVAC controls again. I'm not an 'upscale' L300 owner and prefer how cold/hot I want and when I want a/c cooling.

If a/c is running erratically in several modes not desired then it may be a control head issue. Can you manually turn off a/c when not in defrost mode?

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:08 PM   #3
TurboZutek
TurboZutek is a jewel in the roughTurboZutek is a jewel in the roughTurboZutek is a jewel in the roughTurboZutek is a jewel in the rough

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Thanks for reading and replying!

I should have mentioned; the AC control on this car is manual. By default (as far as I'm aware) the only way the AC should power up is if the AC button is pressed, or the control is moved to the 'FULL DEMIST' pictograph on the far right/bottom. Here's what I get:

Everything that's marked in blue here seems to fire up the AC in that:

You can see the AC clutch spinning when it's in the blue section of the controls, when you switch over to anything on the other side, the centre boss of the AC clutch assembly loses speed and stops.

Currently it's not too easy to take temperature readings from the vents because it's wet and cold, but the pipework from the AC compressor DOES get cold one side and hot the other, which tells me the compressor is, well, compressing!

I think the whole 'auto AC with demist' is a pain in the neck, but this is an even bigger headache if it's going to do it on half of all settings!

Chris...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WhatHappens.jpg (93.5 KB, 86 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help TurboZutek reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-02-2013, 12:46 AM   #4
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

A couple of months ago, or so, I discovered the same issue with my car. Your HVAC controls and mine are identical. It turned at that the a/c would engage at a point slightly before or at the location of the floor vents only (no mix of upper vents) regardless of whether or not the a/c switch was "on." After the engine was fully warm I checked the RPM to note any increase as I moved the vent selector dial toward the right (clockwise) from the upper vents only point (bottom left of the dial settings).

Voila! There it was; just as I reached a detent point at or near the floor vents the RPM jumped - perhaps fifty to seventy five RPM higher than at normal idle. From that point further toward full defrost vent usage the a/c compressor was always engaged. Frankly, I don't like that kind of set up, but that's what we've been provided with. In So. California I don't need a compressor on every time I use the floor and/or defrost vents. The net result of that to me was a noticeable drop in fuel economy for having used those vent selector positions - very annoying.

What was my choice then? I wouldn't use any of the vents which would automatically engage the compressor unless I absolutely had to.

327,000 miles - Holy canolli!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:52 AM   #5
TurboZutek

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

That is just... Bizzaro. There are some really stupid design choices on this car but this one takes the cake.

Ok, this month sometime I'm going to pull that panel apart and find out why it does what it does and how to stop it. I'd like to bring the AC back to being tied to the AC switch and nothing else, period. I'll remember to run the AC for 10 mins a week manually myself.

Thank you for posting pierrot, I don't feel like I'm crazy and alone anymore, lol!

Chris...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-06-2013, 05:40 PM   #6
TurboZutek

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Right, buttocks, here goes!

I stripped down the AC controller and I found this:

The good old Haynes manual helpfully got the wiring WRONG, but I managed to work out that voltage is sent to the BCM for AC from this connection:

Which is driven from two diodes, one which connects to the AC switch, the other that connects to the logic IC. I'm going to remove the logic IC diode in the hope that it will no longer supply power to the BCM and trigger AC.

I'll keep you posted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Right Here Goes.jpg (92.3 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg Voltage.jpg (82.2 KB, 79 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-06-2013, 06:51 PM   #7
TurboZutek

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Right, great news everyone:

My car only switches the AC on .. WHEN I PRESS THE SWITCH!! Ding dong, the fuel robbing witch is dead!! Ok, so it's a really easy mod to do, though it took some time tracing circuits and figuring out (WTF).

Dig into the AC control unit until you get the PCB out:

Then simply take your soldering iron, or pair of snips and remove the lower of the two diodes above the selector potentiometer:

Hurrah, simple as that. Button it all up again and you're done. Don't forget to run your AC for 10 mins a week EVERY WEEK after performing this mod!

How it all works:

This solid state design of PCB that we have here basically takes the value of the potentiometer and from the resistance calculates where the knob is pointed. From that, it uses the higher resistances (rightmost side) to work out when the AC should be on. This is a lazy and less accurate design, but cheaper to make as all you need is a commonly available comparator and some resistors. It also means the car wiring can be as similar as possible between auto and manual climate control units, saving more money for GM.

Anyway, once it works out the AC should be on, it feeds this value to a pin on the right sided IC which powers the diode we just removed. This pin is now defunct in the design and feeds nothing. The diode we left behind here is the one connected to the manual switch, so we will keep that one, though if you wanted to disable AC completely for some reason, you could remove it also.

Chris...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The Logic PCB.jpg (72.9 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg The Logic PCB Neutered.jpg (112.8 KB, 71 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-15-2013, 10:44 PM   #8
TurboZutek

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

And I'm happy to report the first full tank has returned 21.5 extra Kilometres since this mod.

Fuel economy WIN!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-16-2013, 12:37 AM   #9
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Outstanding! This is right at the top of must do mods.

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote