SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2012, 09:07 AM   #1
dfuerst
dfuerst is on a distinguished road

Default Moog any good?

Howdy all. Well, I need new tie rod outer ends. Does anyone know if Moog parts are decent (fit and wear properly), of should I go OEM (cha-ching!)?

Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dfuerst's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dfuerst reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dfuerst is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2012, 09:25 AM   #2
BV22
Master Member
BV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of light

2002 SC1
Default Re: Moog any good?

Never had a problem with a Moog suspension part, but it has been a few years since I bought one.

BV22
2002 SC1 5M
RIP Sept 1 2018
315,344 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BV22's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BV22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BV22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:33 AM   #3
VUEmaniac
VUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2

Moog is generally of high quality.

---
Don't blame a clown for acting like a clown. Ask yourself why YOU keep going to the circus.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VUEmaniac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VUEmaniac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VUEmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:34 AM   #4
underthehood
Master Member
underthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfuerst View Post
Howdy all. Well, I need new tie rod outer ends. Does anyone know if Moog parts are decent (fit and wear properly), of should I go OEM (cha-ching!)?

Thanks.
As good or better than anything else you can get.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to underthehood's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help underthehood reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
underthehood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:10 AM   #5
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BV22 View Post
Never had a problem with a Moog suspension part, but it has been a few years since I bought one.
... and that's a good thing! If you were buying the same Moog suspension part year after year, I suspect you'd stop buying them the second or third time around.

My Moog outer tie rod ends and sway bar end links looked decently made and have lasted a few years (replaced both in 2009?) so far.

The OEM outer tie rod ends were sealed and permanently lubed, while the Moog ends had Zerk grease fittings.

Might be worth pricing out at a few places... Advance Auto has a deal where you can order online, apply a coupon code, then pick up in-store so that you don't have to wait or pay for shipping. http://www.retailmenot.com/view/advanceautoparts.com usually has a coupon code good for somewhere between 20~40% off

edit: looks like Moog at Advance are $57 each, $114 for both sides. $40 off coupon on orders more than $110 puts you at $74 plus tax for both sides

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

Last edited by alordofchaos; 12-04-2012 at 10:16 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:28 AM   #6
BV22
Master Member
BV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of light

2002 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
... and that's a good thing! If you were buying the same Moog suspension part year after year, I suspect you'd stop buying them the second or third time around.
My point was that having no very recent experience, in this age of outsourcing manufacturing to questionable nations, the quality of any company's products can drop like a rock. Glad to hear from you and others that Moog still produces well made parts that fit and last - that has always been my experience.

BV22
2002 SC1 5M
RIP Sept 1 2018
315,344 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BV22's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BV22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BV22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:34 AM   #7
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

I don't know if the eBay seller USAutoParts has Moog parts but I won't be buying their cheap parts again. Pretty sure one ball joint is already dead after 4-5 days (might be blamed on me overfilling the uber-sealed boot with grease...but still) and when they had to send me 2 packages they gave me some random guy's tracking number so while waiting an extra 2 days for my box I was thinking it went to the wrong side of the country >.<

Moog is one of those brands where, unless somethings changed in the last year, you don't have to worry about quality. Friday I'll be buying new LCA's and probably TRE's from Moog.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:00 PM   #8
DIYguy
Master Member
DIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2
Wrench Re: Moog any good?

My experiences with Moog have been very good. I'll buy their suspension parts pretty much whenever I can get them.

DIYguy

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

97SC2 Saturn (gone but never forgotten), Gen6 Camaro, Cruze Eco, Chevy SS P/U, Honda VT1100C, Honda CBX

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DIYguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DIYguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DIYguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:29 PM   #9
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Chalk up another Moog/Federal Mogul vote for me.. got two wheel bearings from them. Now if only they made Quickie-Struts...

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:29 PM   #10
dfuerst
dfuerst is on a distinguished road

Ok, I've gone ahead and ordered.

Thanks for all the help!

Darren

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dfuerst's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dfuerst reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dfuerst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:56 PM   #11
saturn1957
saturn1957 is on a distinguished road

moog used to be good but not any more better off with delco....jmo

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn1957's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn1957 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturn1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:43 AM   #12
CND_SC1
Advanced Member
CND_SC1 is on a distinguished road

1994 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturn1957 View Post
moog used to be good but not any more better off with delco....jmo
Hmm, my perception is rather the other way around. In many cases these days, Delco=Lowest Bid. They don`t really make that much of their own stuff anymore so much as simply ordering Delco badges stuff from the same moutsoercers that supply various aftermaket or store brand lables.

If there are exceptions, they would almost certainly not be made for a long-dead models of a discontinued division?

Anyway I was extremely happy with MOOG tie rods on both sides while I had my SC1. Passenger side was done in 2005 and drivers side in 2007 and both lasted the duration of my ownership.

The forsaken roads of Toronto are a Third-Worldly nightmare of holes, craters, folds and humps that murder the front ends of small vehicles. The MOOG parts survived everything, including twice climbing a curb (one spinout on icy hill, another forced off road by lunatic snowplough driver...) as well driving through a chasm deep and long enough to conceal a medium sized dog.

'94 navy blue SC1 from 04.2004 to 04.2011 which retired undefeated!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CND_SC1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CND_SC1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CND_SC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:47 AM   #13
DIYguy
Master Member
DIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2
Roll Eyes Re: Moog any good?

Quote:
In many cases these days, Delco=Lowest Bid.
Unfortunately so. Not too long ago I replaced the water pump on the SC2. The GMB "lifetime" pump I had put on it a few years ago must have been based on someone else's lifetime. So I figured I'd pop for an OEM one. From Rock Auto I bought a Delco pump labeled their site as OEM fitment, and even it came in a nice blue and white Delco official looking box.

Made in China. As was the GMB......

I put it on anyway so I could get the car back on the road, but needless to say I was rather disappointed.

I went to high school with a guy who later graduated from General Motors Institute and became a mechanical engineer at GM. He was later shunted off to Delphi, and eventually lost his job and pension when they off-shored essentially everything a few years back and went the bankruptcy route. I also know someone who was a metallurgist for them and the very same thing happened to him.

Moog still makes good stuff IMHO. Their "problem solver" line of parts lives up to its name. I'd buy Moog over Delco any day. Too bad they don't make water pumps......

DIYguy

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

97SC2 Saturn (gone but never forgotten), Gen6 Camaro, Cruze Eco, Chevy SS P/U, Honda VT1100C, Honda CBX

Last edited by DIYguy; 12-06-2012 at 11:55 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DIYguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DIYguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DIYguy is offline   Reply With Quote