SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2012, 02:52 PM   #1
PeteB
Advanced Member
PeteB is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
1994 SC2
Default 02 L300 left axle seal

Looking to replace inner and outer transmission output shaft oil seals with two circlips on driver's side.

Originally tried to replace outer seal only, but in process broke plastic lip on inner seal so that must go as well.

Cooling my heels right now waiting for a gm j-41227 tool I bought on ebay to remove inner seal (sleeve), plus a couple of spare outer seals from rockauto seeing as I bent the original.

I have a 2" plastic plumbing cap for pounding in the outer and a 1-1/8 deep socket for installing the inner.

Any pointers on installation? Haynes manual is woefully inadequate. Looking for tips on sequence (inner or outer first, whether to push in first circlip with sleeve).

Not much info in archive despite fact that this seal kit (National 5693) is used on may cars.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PeteB's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PeteB reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PeteB is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2012, 06:21 PM   #2
PeteB
Advanced Member
PeteB is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
1994 SC2
Default Re: 02 L300 left axle seal

Post mortem on this project:
  1. A seal removal tool, used properly, would probably have prevented my damaging the inner sleeve and allowed a speedier and cheaper repair. However, the sleeve IS supposed to be replaced along with the outer seal.
  2. The J-41227 tool was lovely for removing the inner seal. MAYBE it could be removed with pointy visegrips. I was tired of wresting with it at that point.
  3. The outer seal goes in FIRST. After some experimentation, a 2" square-head steel plumbing plug, with a hose clamp around the perimeter to help retain the seal, did the job.
  4. Outer seal installation is not a caveman job. It's tap, tap, tap all the way. Once the edge is inside the bore, the seal still wants to go sideways until it is all the way in. So it was tap. tap. tap on the four corners of my plug until it was where I wanted it.
  5. I did not 'seat' the outer seal, I believe. I just went until it was flat and about even with the tranny case, about 1/8" above the step. IOW, about how the original looked.
  6. I installed the inner sleeve with a $12 1-1/8" Craftsman deep socket and a hammer. It is supposed to be pressed in with GM J-41228, a $200 collet. I went for getting the lip to about the level of the groove for the snap ring, and centered. The spec is 0.001" lateral runout.
  7. All in all, this is a job for authorized Saturn service. To do it right takes $400 worth of tools, yet the flat rate is only 1.5 hours. I would have taken it to the dealer if I weren't also working on the engine. Still may take it in at the smallest sign of trouble.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PeteB's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PeteB reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PeteB is offline   Reply With Quote