SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2012, 12:57 PM   #1
Ruger141
Ruger141 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL1
2007 ION-2 Sedan
Default Correct Front Cover Bolts?

Some of our bolts got mixed up during our engine reassembly and I need to know if I have the correct bolt for the Front Cover. Its a Dal Overhead Cam out of a 97 SC2. Below is a pic of what I have. There are some short ones(2.0mm long) without shoulders and then some 3.5mm ones with a shoulder and then some 4mm long ones with a shoulder.

Appreciate it thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ruger141's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ruger141 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ruger141 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2012, 12:58 PM   #2
Ruger141
Ruger141 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL1
2007 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: Correct Front Cover Bolts?

The thumbnail is clickable btw which brings up a larger picture.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ruger141's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ruger141 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ruger141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 02:11 PM   #3
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

The small 10mm ones I don't think you have enough of in the picture (upper right).

The longer ones with more of a unthreaded portion (bottom 5) I believe go to the power steering pump. A couple on the upper left look like they might go to the A/C mounting bracket.

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:46 AM   #4
macbox
macbox will become famous soon enough

1995 SC2
1997 SC2

This is what you should have. There are 18 bolts in this picture, the 15 timing cover bolts and 3 of the 4 small ones from the bottom of the oil pan that attach to the bottom of the timing cover, there is one oil pan bolt missing from the picture. 14 of the timing cover bolts look the same, and there is the one skinny one in the upper left of the picture that, if my memory serves, goes in the top hole of the two in the center of the cover. For that skinny one, try it out and see what hole it fits in.

I'll agree with fetchitfido, what you have in your picture is likely PS pump and AC bracket bolts. Perhaps the smallest ones are oil pan bolts but you would have to try them out.

I know this is after the fact, but it's best to have a system to contain and organize the disassembly process. Oldnuc recommends a beer flat, some ziploc bags, and a marker to label everything with, you don't have to use a beer flat so cardboard boxes will do, but the ziplocs and marker are not optional. Stuff still crawled away on me that I had to hunt down, and I was well organized.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 98_Timing_Cov_Bolts.jpg (71.2 KB, 6 views)

"The Twins"
#4, "Betty" 1995 SC2m, 163K, 400 Miles per quart. Garage queen. Currently in 1000 pieces for a rebuild.
#7 "Betsy" 1995 SC2, 131K, daily driver.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to macbox's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help macbox reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
macbox is offline   Reply With Quote