SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2011, 08:02 PM   #1
lodingi
lodingi is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L
Default A/C stopped working

Hello Saturn Fans. I have an 03 FWD V6 with 210,000 miles. The a/c stopped working recently. I brought the vehicle to a mechanic for repair. According to the mechanic, he wasn't sure of the problem.

He did feel the compressor was not the culprit. I asked how he came to this conclusion considering the compressor doesn't turn on. He mentioned coloration and general condition of the compressor. I've never heard this before, but I am no a mechanic so I guess it's possible.

He then stated he wasn't comfortable just swapping parts until it started working again. He then suggested I take the Vue to a mechanic with Saturn experience.

Are there any trouble shooting steps I can take to diagnose the problem? I would greatly appreciate your input. Thanks.

2003 Vue 3.0L V6 FWD - 167K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lodingi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lodingi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lodingi is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2011, 09:33 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: A/C stopped working

This mechanic may be one of a few to turn down work. Not knowing a/c systems would be one reason. A healthy respect for accepting limits of knowledge can keep mechanics honest and repeat customers. To suggest referring to another shop promotes better business.

Your a/c system can't use a short cut like the S-series with a wire jumper across the pressure switch connector to enable compressor operation; your pressure switch uses a transducer that's a little more sophisticated in detecting pressures that vary low output voltages between 0.1-5v DC as input signals to the ecm to determine whether to allow compressor operation or not. With a dead compressor, its most likely a loss of refrigerant after so many years of reliable use. 210k miles is a lot of bumpy roads to rattle a system loose. The best way to find a leak without resorting to refilling is to simply spend the time to inspect the entire system for dye or oil leaking from anywhere. 98% of the entire a/c system is in the engine area, 2% is for the expansion valve and evaporator coil on and behind the firewall. Inspect in, around, under and from the sides to check for greenish yellow fluorescent dye that can be seen in shaded daylight or at night with a small uv light. Even loose service valve caps leak if not tightened.

It only takes 0.5lb of R134a to overcome the pressure switch to allow compressor operation if the clutch coil or the main a/c fuse isn't blown.

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:24 AM   #3
lodingi

2003 VUE 3.0L

Thanks for the info. I will inspect the car thoroughly this weekend. I believe the mechanic tried to fill the unit with coolant and it wouldn't take. Not sure what that means.

I will also call the mechanic and ask again. I want to make sure I am expressing his comments correctly. Thanks again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help lodingi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-17-2011, 01:22 PM   #4
lodingi

2003 VUE 3.0L

I spoke to the mechanic. He said he lacked the computerized equipment necessary to diagnose an electrical porblem. He does in fact believe my problem is electric related & not mechanical.

Thanks again for your help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-17-2011, 03:22 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Well, you can check the easy stuff; a/c fuse, relay, and power to the compressor.

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 10:16 AM   #6
lodingi

2003 VUE 3.0L

I brought my Vue to another shop. This shop was recommended by my mechanic. He diagnosed the problem. It was a faulty connection at the pressure switch. He repaired the connection, evac & recharge the system, & all is well.

Kudos to my mechanic for doing the right thing. I would neever hesitate having my car serviced or repaired by him.

Thanks for your help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-24-2011, 10:28 AM   #7
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Congratulations ... you are fortunate to have a reliable mechanic, who not only recognized his limitations - but did the right thing by referring you to a competent A/C shop.

This is a good story!!!

I try to visit forum often but suggest you use private messages if in a rush (comes to cell) and include email address for extracts. I seldom check visitor messages so please don't use.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote