SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2007, 12:23 PM   #1
Philhawk02
Philhawk02 is on a distinguished road

Default 97 SL1 P0507 ugg...

Hi,
New member here. I tried to search for this, but my symptoms are the same, just he code.
Just bought the 97 SL1 as a commuter, 110k miles, 5 speed. Originally had the rear O2 code, did a full tuneup (both O2 Sensors, plugs, wires, aircleaner, ECTS, IACV). I made the mistake of buying Bosch plat plugs before I searched here.
Regardless, my handheld obd2 reader just started giving me the P0507 higher than expected idle code. The car runs smooth, no misfires, seems to be getting good mpg. I does idle between 1000 and 800 rpm, and sometimes acts like its on cruise control when its cold. This is the only saturn I've been within 20 feet of, so I could just be too green to see that it isn't running well, but it really does seem to be pretty good. The code just popped up this morning.
Any ideas? I hate to think its the intake gasket...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Philhawk02's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Philhawk02 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Philhawk02 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2007, 01:00 PM   #2
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2
Default Re: 97 SL1 P0507 ugg...

that idle speed seems normal. but for a SL2. thats just from my experience tho. theres been discussions here about idle speeds for man vs auto and year vs year, but ur idle speed does seem high for the sl1's ive been in and have. might wanna take a look at the throttle body, clean it out bc if thats open just a tiny bit ur idle would go up. theres alot of carbon buildup and what not that gets in there. also theres vacum lines that can get plugged. That would be my first step.

have u changed ur ECTS?

And the higher rpm when its cold is normal. but it shouldnt stay like that.

good luck!

Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rc1488's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rc1488 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 01:08 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

When you say a full tune-up did you mean replacing the components, both O2 sensors, plugs, wires, aircleaner, ECTS, IACV or just checking and cleaning them? At the minimum, the ECTS, if original, needs to be replaced along with the two-wire connector if its corroded and the throttle body cleaned of any deposits that may interfere with free movement of the throttle closing that may cause the uneven idling. A good normal cold start-up would have the idle around 1200 rpm and gradually reduce to 800-900 rpm as the engine comes up to running temperature in 10-minutes or so of driving. You may have a vacuum leak somewhere and spraying with carb/brake cleaner on the vacuum lines (including the brake booster and PCV valve) while bending them to expose any dried/cracked tubing may indicate the leak. The same with the intake gasket, spraying in the area and noticing any change in rpm.

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 02:23 PM   #4
acman
acman has a spectacular aura aboutacman has a spectacular aura aboutacman has a spectacular aura about

1999 SC1

"I made the mistake of buying Bosch plat plugs before I searched here."

Bosch platinum spark plugs work very well --- if your engine doesn't burn an
excessive amount of oil. I ran a set of 4 - electrode Bosch platinum
plugs for about 50K miles in my 1997 SL2. My car is unusual in that it
burns less than 1/2 quart of oil in 4000 miles (that's my oil change interval).
The only reason I replaced them is because the ceramic insulator, where the
spark plug wire connects, was becoming discolored and I thought that it
might lead to a misfire.

acman

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to acman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help acman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
acman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 03:30 PM   #5
eljefino
Master Member
eljefino will become famous soon enough

1995 SW1
2000 SL1

Higher than expected idle means vacuum leak to me, as it's something outside of the computer's control. An ECTS problem, while it may cause high idling, would do so because the computer wants that idle.

What I would do, is pull off the plastic air intake duct, and start the car. Cover the hole below the throttle blade with your thumb and see if that brings the idle down enough. If so your idle speed control motor is sticking.

If it still idles high, pop the PCV valve out and cover it with your thumb. Ditto.

Then shut the engine down, pull the brake booster vacuum hose, and stuff a spark plug (etc) in it. start 'er up again then ditto.

I've had a SOHC intake gasket go on my wife's 00 (common problem) and it wasn't an unbearable fix. Will note that MPG suffered and the idle was not what one would call silky smooth.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eljefino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eljefino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eljefino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 12:21 AM   #6
Philhawk02
Philhawk02 is on a distinguished road

I'm pretty embarassed to admit this, but it ended up being the PCVV hose. Apparently it was deteriorated enough to suck air in through the center from dry rot. I replaced the hose and the idle dropped to 700 rpm, and no more code.
I'm really starting to like this little car. My first tank ended up getting me exactly 30mpg, and I was far from easy on it. I thought I'd try my method of loosening the rings by running it to redline in third gear and then letting it coast down to 50 mph and repeat. This is the method recommended by GM on the Northstar engines, and it did seem to run better after a half dozen runs on the highway like that.
Can't wait to see what kind of mpg I get now that it doesn't have a vacume leak and I'm not beating the tar out of it.
Thanks for the advise guys!

1997 SL1 5speed, 2005 Bonneville GXP, 2002 Firehawk Formula, 1974 Firebird Esprit
I'm a GM guy can you tell?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Philhawk02's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Philhawk02 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Philhawk02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 08:34 PM   #7
Jerseydevil20
Jerseydevil20 is on a distinguished road

For the benefit of others, I am bumping this thread to second Philhawk's experience. I had the P0507 code, with my idle hanging around 1100-1300. The hose on my PCV valve was cracked and sucking air. Easy fix at Autozone - they cut me a piece of hose (for free) and I was out the door at $1.99 + tax for my new PCV valve. Idle is now at about 875.

Thanks guys for taking the time to help us Saturday mechanics. Good karma back at ya!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jerseydevil20's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jerseydevil20 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jerseydevil20 is offline   Reply With Quote