SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2010, 11:37 PM   #1
megatron
megatron is on a distinguished road

Default Effing Tie Rod

So i just replaced my sway bar, that was a chore that sent me to the ER with a broken thumb lol, anyways I have 2 issues. The first, I got one bolt on each side screwed in for the sway bar mounts, the part where the bar mounts to the crossmember, the other 2 are half in and they dont want to move any further, do I keep wrenching on them? If its crossthreaded it too late to back them out now! Next problem, I disconnected the outer tie rod ends from the steering knuckle so I could have some more space to rotate the socket, now that Im putting it back together the nut wont tighten. The whole nut and bolt are turning together, any idea what I am doing wrong? Both sides are doing it, they came off just fine, there also doesnt appear to a spot to put an allen key like on the sway bar end links. I need to get this done tomorrow, please dont tell me they need to be replaced ;(

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to megatron's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help megatron reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
megatron is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2010, 12:11 AM   #2
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Effing Tie Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by megatron View Post
So i just replaced my sway bar, that was a chore that sent me to the ER with a broken thumb lol, anyways I have 2 issues. The first, I got one bolt on each side screwed in for the sway bar mounts, the part where the bar mounts to the crossmember, the other 2 are half in and they dont want to move any further, do I keep wrenching on them? If its crossthreaded it too late to back them out now! Next problem, I disconnected the outer tie rod ends from the steering knuckle so I could have some more space to rotate the socket, now that Im putting it back together the nut wont tighten. The whole nut and bolt are turning together, any idea what I am doing wrong? Both sides are doing it, they came off just fine, there also doesnt appear to a spot to put an allen key like on the sway bar end links. I need to get this done tomorrow, please dont tell me they need to be replaced ;(
You indicate there are two bolts for each of the sway bar saddle clamps and it sounds like one bolt for each clamp has been cross-threaded.

Can you loosen the ones you have tightened?

Perhaps a slight repositioning of clamps will permit both bolts to have a better angle of attack for the nut-plates.

I've not messed with Vue tie-rod ends but recently fought them on a Subaru Forester. As you mention - the studs were loose and tended to turn until I beat them back into the steering knuckle. Once they were fully seated I was able to tighten the nut and install cotter key by keeping pressure on top-side of tie-rod end.

I try to visit forum often but suggest you use private messages if in a rush (comes to cell) and include email address for extracts. I seldom check visitor messages so please don't use.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:15 AM   #3
megatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by far2grumpy View Post
You indicate there are two bolts for each of the sway bar saddle clamps and it sounds like one bolt for each clamp has been cross-threaded.

Perhaps a slight repositioning of clamps will permit both bolts to have a better angle of attack for the nut-plates.

I've not messed with Vue tie-rod ends but recently fought

on a Subaru Forester. As you mention - the studs were loose and tended to turn until I beat them back into the steering knuckle. Once they were fully seated I was able to tighten the nut and install cotter key by keeping pressure on top-side of tie-rod end.
It doesnt appear to be able to be seated, ill try hitting it with a hammer. I didnt see cotter pin holes tho.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help megatron reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-29-2010, 11:40 AM   #4
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by megatron View Post
It doesnt appear to be able to be seated, ill try hitting it with a hammer. I didnt see cotter pin holes tho.
I see I misled you ... the Vue does not use castellated nut and cotter pin, but instructions indicate a new nut be used.

The GM instructions also call for special tools to extract and insert the tie rod end in steering knuckle. The files are too large to attach but I can email if you PM an address.

Disregard need for special tools if you used alternate methods to successfully re-seat the tie rod ends.

I try to visit forum often but suggest you use private messages if in a rush (comes to cell) and include email address for extracts. I seldom check visitor messages so please don't use.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:41 PM   #5
nitroussaturn
nitroussaturn will become famous soon enough

you dont need any speacial tool..it has to be seated to stop from spinning a clamp can help or someone prying down on the top of it as you tighten it,or just change em while your their lol their only 20$

2004 REDLINE FWD TONS OF MODS..CLICK HERE http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3144619
1999 MERCEDES BENZ AMG E55,MY DD VETTE KILLER
2000 328I M3 RIMS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nitroussaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nitroussaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nitroussaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 02:58 PM   #6
megatron

[QUOTE=nitroussaturn;1684980]you dont need any speacial tool..it has to be seated to stop from spinning a clamp can help or someone prying down on the top of it as you tighten it,or just change em while your their lol their only 20$[/QUOTE

Thanks everyone, ill give that a shot tonight!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-04-2016, 12:25 PM   #7
David 93 SL2m
Master Member
David 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the rough

2004 VUE 2.2L
2007 ION-3 Sedan
Thumbs Up Re: Effing Tie Rod

I replaced the front sway bar bushings and it was not easy getting the four bolts for the two clamps back in. On the driver's side there is barely enough room to work, and one of the bolts was acting as if it was cross-threaded. On the passenger side there is even less room to work, but thankfully both bolts went in without acting as if being cross-threaded. Maybe using a dab of anti-seize compound on the threads of the bolts helped?

Thank you so much nitroussaturn for this tip on using a clamp to seat the tie rod ends and keep them from spinning when trying to tighten the castle nut underneath! I did this job and without your tip I probably would have given up and had my VUE towed to a service garage for them to complete the installation of new tie rod ends. Your tip saved the day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroussaturn View Post
you dont need any speacial tool..it has to be seated to stop from spinning a clamp can help or someone prying down on the top of it as you tighten it,or just change em while your their lol their only 20$
By the way replacing the tie rod ends turned into an all-day project. It took PB Blaster and lots of banging on a wrench with a rubber mallet to get the jam nuts loosened. It also took lots of banging on the underside of the tie rod below the knuckle to get it to finally pop out. I removed the castle nut and reinstalled it reversed so I could bang on the unit with a larger target to hit and to keep the threaded portion from "mushrooming" which would have caused it to not pass through the hole in the knuckle. Luckily the tie rod ends unscrewed very easily.

Time for an alignment...!

Current
∙ 2004 VUE 124K
∙ 2007 ION3 112K
Past
∙ 1993 SL2 212K
∙ 1993 SC2 140K
∙ 1996 SC2 157K
∙ 1996 SC2 126K
∙ 2001 SC2, 145K
∙ 2002 L200 20K
∙ 2002 SL1 129K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to David 93 SL2m's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help David 93 SL2m reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
David 93 SL2m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 02:34 PM   #8
hoosierrun
hoosierrun is just really nicehoosierrun is just really nicehoosierrun is just really nicehoosierrun is just really nice

2006 VUE 2.2L

Make sure the threads are super clean on the tie rods. If you can find a regular newer nut with matching threads, try threading and un-threading a few times after wiping them clean with penetrating oil.

The stud and socket must be perfectly clean and dry. Use brake cleaner sprayed on a rag and clean the stud shaft and socket. That may help create enough friction to keep them from turning. Then do as the others say and try to keep pressure on it to keep it pressed on while trying to tighten a new locking nut on it.

John.... 2006 Saturn Vue, 2.2, 186,000 miles Recently junked out - (threw a rod)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hoosierrun's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hoosierrun reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hoosierrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 02:39 PM   #9
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by far2grumpy View Post

Good advice. Never fully tighten any one fastener that holds any asembly together until all fasteners are installed and cinched down an equal amount prior to a final torqueing sequence.

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote