SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2009, 06:03 PM   #1
Layoira
Layoira is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Can Someone Do Me a Favor? Pleeeease :)

I am looking for someone with leather seats, to take off one of their front door cards and take a pic of the harness they have for the courtesy lights. Its easy to take it off, Ive had mine off a few times, its just a tiny bit of an extra pain putting it back on. By extra pain I mean it will take you a few minutes extra to make sure its clipped in right at the top. Still easily done though If you want a pictured walkthrough to do it if you are willing, I can send that on.

I dont need it yet cause Im gonna try to take mine off again tomorrow now that the weather is finally nice enough to be at it again, and I have the time, to check what Im forgetting in there again, but if someone is taking theirs off anyways in the next little while I figured I would post up and ask now just in case, and maybe you can grab me a picture while its off, so I know what it looks like behind the leather doors too (since the courtesy lights come w/ the leather). Thats really what Im after. A quick comparison. What the harness looks like on Saturns version with the Door Courtesy Lighting.

If noone is going to have their door card off anyways, and wants to be super nice and willing to take about 15 mins out of their time to take theirs off, (I only need you to do one snap a pic and post it up for me, I will love you forever! lol

Or, if you work for Saturn and have access to TIS with Saturns Models, pull up a diagram of the doors courtesy lights harness in it, (search some type of repair/replacement doc on it should be a pic in there somewhere) print screen and send me the pic Thats the easier option lol but who has access?

Not too much to ask right? All in the Name of greater progress

~Christina~
Astra XR5: 3M Film,GID, Arm Rest, SRi Wheel, Tints (50/35/13), Pioneer Nav Unit, Debadged, Glovebox Cooling, VXR Surrounds, Painted Grill, XP Spoiler, HIDS, Footwell Lighting. Pics Up :)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Layoira's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Layoira reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Layoira is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2009, 06:29 PM   #2
mdcclxxvi
Advanced Member
mdcclxxvi is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Can Someone Do Me a Favor? Pleeeease :)

If the european / mexican models have the courtesy lights, I can pull up a diagram of the door. Do you know if they do or not?

Project 8888
www.usAstra.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mdcclxxvi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mdcclxxvi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mdcclxxvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 07:34 PM   #3
Teh_Freak
Teh_Freak is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

I'm pretty sure they have the lights in them, as evident by this guy's thread (which ought to help you out):
http://www.astraownersnetwork.co.uk/...ad.php?t=40121

-- Jon --
Red 2008 Saturn Astra XR3 (2008 - 2012 RIP) :(
Black 1987 Porsche 944
Blue 2012 Ford Focus (On Order)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Teh_Freak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Teh_Freak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Teh_Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 08:42 PM   #4
Layoira

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Freak View Post
I'm pretty sure they have the lights in them, as evident by this guy's thread (which ought to help you out):
that wont help my question. Ive seen that before, thanks tho. I need to know on saturn specifically because the last time i had my door off to look for the wiring i couldnt find it. I did do it in the dark and it was freezing so I had to make it quick, but it didnt seem to be there. I really do need to look again better, thats why Im gonna take it off tomorrow, but was hoping someone could pull it up or post a pic of with the leathers to clear up any confusion.

The euro models generally all have the wiring still left in even if they dont have the feature. Depends on the paticular car tho and when it was built and at which plant. They like to pick and choose sometimes lol. But generally they can still find it present. I can access TIS for the Euro models, and also from the thread above you can see its there, but none of that answers my question where it is on the Saturn Astra with leather. I may have just overlooked it, so I wanna see what it looks like in there, and maybe it really is missing on the non leathers in which case, I want to see what the harness part looks like on the Saturn/the layout. It could very well be the same I would imagine same harness etc why wouldnt it be, but this is Saturn we are talking about, and they did needlessly change some things on ours over theirs, mostly in programming but still, if I see it from the Saturn how its connected then I know 100% for sure.

~Christina~
Astra XR5: 3M Film,GID, Arm Rest, SRi Wheel, Tints (50/35/13), Pioneer Nav Unit, Debadged, Glovebox Cooling, VXR Surrounds, Painted Grill, XP Spoiler, HIDS, Footwell Lighting. Pics Up :)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Layoira reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-09-2009, 08:46 PM   #5
Layoira

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
The lights are separate from the harness as you can see from Neils thread. They plug into the existing harness in the car. The ones without courtesy lights have a black plastic piece shaped like the light in place instead, and obviousley arent connected to a harness. If I remember right he has pics of the black plastic bits in his thread too but I didnt bother reopening the link to look.

I want to see if I can add the harness on ours if I dont have it there, since I already have the lights. I know I can save the wasted time and tap into a wire and do it that way with leds, but Im just curious if the original harness can be retrofitted. I would need to see it in the Saturn to know. Its not a big deal and thus why I havent really cared to bother with it over the winter but now that its nicer out and I have some more free time id like to be able to put those lights in if I can.

~Christina~

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-09-2009, 09:23 PM   #6
Teh_Freak
Teh_Freak is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Think you could put up that walkthrough you mentioned earlier?
I might just have a go at checking mine out this weekend so I can get some insight on this as well (been thinking of adding those lights in there).

-- Jon --
Red 2008 Saturn Astra XR3 (2008 - 2012 RIP) :(
Black 1987 Porsche 944
Blue 2012 Ford Focus (On Order)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Teh_Freak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Teh_Freak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Teh_Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 11:02 PM   #7
Layoira

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Think you could put up that walkthrough you mentioned earlier?
I might just have a go at checking mine out this weekend so I can get some insight on this as well (been thinking of adding those lights in there).
Sure can, but if you follow neils thread that you posted (Stickman on AON) he has the walkthrough there. Thats what I used to go by and its all I needed. Its just removing the plastic cover behind the silver door handle, and the grab handle with a flathead screwdriver or similar. one screw behind the top one, two behind the grab handle. They are all the same so if you mix them up it doesnt matter. you will need a torx 20 i think or 25, i'll confirm again when I take it off tomorrow. Then maybe 4 if I remember screws along the whole door. Worst part is removing the tweeter you can break the little white plastic clips easy, but they are like 10 cents at the dealer, super cheap if you break one, and you dont really have to remove the tweeter to get the door off, so dont take it off if you dont have to, and really you dont, so you dont have to worry about it. I took mine off anyways, I broke only one clip of the 3 on each tweeter (6 in total), but if you are delicate you shouldnt break any. If you break one, the tweeter will go back on fine, theres still 2 to support it, and you can just pick up one at the dealer and pop it in later.

Other than that you pull the door from the bottom up to unclip it, cause the heaviest clips are the ones at the window ledge. Dont be afraid to pull. Its kinda like taking off the bumper. You will feel like you are going to break something but youre not. It needs a little force to unclip it, but not much. Those clips at the door ledge are the ones you will fight with for a few mins when hooking the door back on them. If I remember theres 3 or 4 along the ledge, You can easily clip it all back on, but to put it on perfect if you are like me lol you will need to fiddle with it for a few minutes of missed attempts. Its a little difficult to get it hooked in all the way on all those clips at the one time at first few attempts but doesnt take too long. You will notice if you have it hooked in right or not once the door is on, because the gap will be bigger towards the end of the door where the lock button is, and while youre doing it, you will feel/hear/see it pop off one of the clips if you are watching. It doesnt hook as easy on those clips as it does the ones further up the window ledge, but like I said with a bit of patience and a few extra mins you can get them all on perfect with no gap left. The gap isnt even noticable even if you dont get them all on perfect. Most people probably wouldnt even notice they werent all hooked in right. Im just picky and notice everything haha

I'll take pics of my own tomorrow for you if you still want it, but the AON how to really is enough to go by, and what I said above. Its going to be fairly decent out so Im gonna take the door off again, during the DAYTIME this time lol and have a real good look again to rule out if the harness really isnt there, or I just overlooked it. I have the lights sitting here for months just waiting on a chance to try at it again, might as well go at it tomorrow again since Im off.

~Christina~

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-10-2009, 01:38 PM   #8
Layoira

2008 Astra XR

door will have to wait til sat. its pouring out

~Christina~

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-11-2009, 03:29 PM   #9
Layoira

2008 Astra XR

I took my door card off again today. Its a 5 min job when its not freezing and dark out lol

(EDIT: Since my internet is ****, the pics will have to wait til later to upload cause I keep getting booted when I try. )

This is what the doors/wires look like (once pics are up) for people without the courtesy door lights. The black thing on the door card is the plastic clip that comes out and the light put in. But theres no harness to use (visible) and im not peeling off the plastic just yet if I dont need to as its a pain to get back on. Theres one more spot to check on the door, the wires taped up that come out of the black gromet in the pics, which I'll do Monday if its nice and I have time. But if anyone with leather has their door off before then please post up a pic it would make things so much easier. It really only takes 5 mins just be careful and take your time. or someone with access to diagrams post em up please.

~Christina~

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-07-2009, 11:34 PM   #10
Astra La Vista!
Astra La Vista! has a spectacular aura aboutAstra La Vista! has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Layoira, have you made any progress regarding this mod? I'm considering ordering a pair of the lights and was wondering if it is a plug & play modification or if I have to bust out the old soldering iron? Also, do you remember what the price of the parts were? I believe the part numbers are 13157438 and ...39.

"That's a Hruck Bugbear, manufactured in Eastern Europe in the eighties and imported to the States. People mock it as a poor man's Yugo. I consider it the pinnacle of Cold War Balkan engineering."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Astra La Vista!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Astra La Vista! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Astra La Vista! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 02:08 AM   #11
vegetaarmy
vegetaarmy is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

This is one of the first mods that I did. If you own a 5dr (not sure about the 3drs) there is no extra harness for the courtesy lighting. What you will have to do is get the non splicing connectors for the black and brown wires on the current harness connected to your window switch and add some wire. Black is the positive (+) and brown is the negative (-). put the special wire non-splicers (they do not cut the wire, but go into the wire) on and connect the courtesy lights to the door as well as some wire. I don't remember the part numbers for the lights, but you can get them off of the link posted above. Then you can change the led to whatever color you want Mine are green. And you can do the lights on the rear doors as well (I just finished installing green leds in the rear door handles, a big pain but worth it).

-Jess

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vegetaarmy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vegetaarmy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vegetaarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 02:41 PM   #12
Layoira

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astra La Vista! View Post
Layoira, have you made any progress regarding this mod? I'm considering ordering a pair of the lights and was wondering if it is a plug & play modification or if I have to bust out the old soldering iron? Also, do you remember what the price of the parts were? I believe the part numbers are 13157438 and ...39.
Yeah theyre still sitting in the arm rest in the car just havent had a nice day yet with the time to do it but as Veg said already its easy to do black and brown wires.

If you dont have the leather you dont have the harness with the connector on it already. You CAN replace the harness but its a total waste of money BUT if you want to add the wire like Veg did AND still have the plugin to plug into the lights, theres actually a "Repair Kit" harness for the lights you can get its like less than 20 dollars I think. It gives you wire, and the actual OE plugin clips that plug into the lights for the door handle.

I will grab the light part numbers for you again in a bit when Im out in the car they are sitting in the car and I'll grab the "repair kit" harness part number fo you too. with that ytou have the wire you need AND the proper connector plugs so its literally plug and play then, you just join the wires to the door harness as Veg said

~Christina~

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-08-2009, 11:30 PM   #13
Astra La Vista!
Astra La Vista! has a spectacular aura aboutAstra La Vista! has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layoira View Post
I will grab the light part numbers for you again in a bit when Im out in the car they are sitting in the car and I'll grab the "repair kit" harness part number fo you too. with that ytou have the wire you need AND the proper connector plugs so its literally plug and play then, you just join the wires to the door harness as Veg said
A part number for the harness/connector would be appreciated. While I don't mind hardwiring the lights directly into the harness (I would never use crimp connectors -- it's either soldered & shrink tubing, or nothing ), having a connector would make it easier to work with if I ever have to remove the door panel again. The panel would otherwise just dangle from the harness, unless I disconnected the light from the panel.

"That's a Hruck Bugbear, manufactured in Eastern Europe in the eighties and imported to the States. People mock it as a poor man's Yugo. I consider it the pinnacle of Cold War Balkan engineering."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Astra La Vista! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-09-2009, 01:29 AM   #14
Layoira

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astra La Vista! View Post
A part number for the harness/connector would be appreciated. While I don't mind hardwiring the lights directly into the harness (I would never use crimp connectors -- it's either soldered & shrink tubing, or nothing ), having a connector would make it easier to work with if I ever have to remove the door panel again. The panel would otherwise just dangle from the harness, unless I disconnected the light from the panel.

Part number for the connector is 93186706 and it comes with the plug, terminals and some wire basically, so you just plug the light right into the plug then you just splice/solder, whatever method you choose to connect the wire to the door harness wires (12V ignition live and ground) of course, I forgot to grab the lamp part number for you today from the lights sitting out in the car in the arm rest but a quick pull of my invoice here now for the lights gives 13157439 and 13157438.

Thats all you need (3 part #s). Piece of cake really. If I ever get the time and nice weather to put mine in finally I'll post up pics. Its pouring rain the last 2 days and forcast calls for it all week, and Ive been busy with other stuff, but gosh darnit, they will get put in eventually haha

~Christina~

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-09-2009, 02:41 AM   #15
Astra La Vista!

2008 Astra XR

Thanks again! I'll probably do this along with installing some LED strip lights under the doors.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!