SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2009, 04:05 PM   #1
deathrament
deathrament is on a distinguished road

Default is there a second radiator cap on the radiator?

have a 97 saturn sl1 with a coolant leak..looks like its dripping out of the bottom right side of radiator..although the bottom right side of the car seems to be gettin wet as well, not sure if that just from driving and its spraying from radiator, or somethin else.......but anyway i got this radiator stop leak formula. And i wasnt sure where to put it in at.But it looks like there's only 1 place, which is in the container. I rem some cars also have a cap on the radiator itself?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to deathrament's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help deathrament reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
deathrament is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2009, 04:09 PM   #2
Squareback
Squareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the rough

2005 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: is there a second radiator cap on the radiator?

DO NOT USE ANY STOP LEAK PRODUCTS IN YOUR CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fix it right, replace the radiator. All that stop leak crap is gonna do is clog not only your radiator, but your heater core and wherever else it finds to settle.

Fixes for mechanical problems don't come in a can. You need to replace the radiator if it's leaking, not try to put a band aid on it.

Certified Saturn Technician

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Squareback's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Squareback reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Squareback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 04:15 PM   #3
Canyon
Advanced Member
Canyon has a spectacular aura aboutCanyon has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2
1999 SL1

^^^ +1 for what Squareback said.

And to answer your question, yes there is one cap for the radiator and that is on the reservoir tank.

Check the top of the radiator on both sides. This is typically where they crack and start leaking down.

The radiator is very easy to replace and the stop leak is only going to cause you other problems. It may actually work for a short time but read other threads on this forum and you will see that you will end up replacing the radiator a short time later. Stop leak is on a temporary solution that in my opinion should only be used when you have a radiator leak and you are in the middle of nowhere and must drive and it is a life or death situation. Ok, so I might have been a little dramatic there but you get my drift

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Canyon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Canyon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Canyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 04:16 PM   #4
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice

1994 SL2
1999 SL

^^^^+ 1000 Million.....

Don't use Stopleak...whomever invented that crap should be shot, banned, etc. A radiator will not cost that much. They are inexpensive..anywhere from $85-$200 if you replace it yourself.

Do the job right.

Check your drain plug to make sure it is in tight. You may also have a leaky waterpump.

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 04:20 PM   #5
deathrament

ya ok i guess i wont use the stuff, just that the rad is priced cheapest at 170 pluss labour so im lookin at a hefty bill....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help deathrament reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-17-2009, 04:38 PM   #6
Squareback
Squareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the rough

2005 ION-2 Sedan

AS has already been said, replacing the radiator isn't rocket science. It's an easy DIY repair that should take at the very most a couple of hours with basic hand tools. Get a new one from Rockauto.com or similar online discount parts house and do it yourself for less than $100. Even a good used one would be fine, you can check junkyards in your area at www.car-part.com

Certified Saturn Technician

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Squareback's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Squareback reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Squareback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 04:55 PM   #7
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice

1994 SL2
1999 SL

Go to Autozone and buy a replacement. Buy some inexpensive tools, if you don't have any. If you have a house with a Garage or a friend with a Garage, take your car there, park it and look in the how to section on this website. There should be a step by step on removing the radiator if it is indeed leaking.

Before you go spending money...double check to see if you indeed have a leak. The fact that you have coolant on the right side of the engine underneath the radiator leads me to believe that:

A) Your drainplug for your radiator is not tightened completely..leading it leak.

B) Your water pump/water pump gasket have gone gone bad.

C) Your coolant tank is clogged and is leaking.

Take the time to check these items, before just assuming that your radiator is leaking without a visual inspection first of the radiator itself.

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-17-2009, 05:10 PM   #8
Canyon
Advanced Member

1995 SC2
1999 SL1

RockAuto is pretty good. If you purchase from there here is a discount code that is good for 5% off until February 15th.

Using Your Discount Code
Enter the code above in the "How did you hear about us" line of the shopping cart. If you are using our traditional HTML catalog, please click the "Apply" button to the right of the field. Your discount will automatically appear, subtracted from your order total.

Please note: We sometimes get calls from people who put the word "discount" in front of their code and do not get the discount. Please enter ONLY the discount code, no other words or numbers.

The discount takes 5% off our already-low prices. There's no limit on order size or the number of orders. Use the code for your next order, and share the code with friends, neighbors, relatives, the guy at the corner garage--anyone you know who works on cars or trucks.

This discount code expires on February 15, 2009; so don't wait!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Canyon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-17-2009, 10:15 PM   #9
deathrament

ok ty all..canyon that site u recomended is def a whole lot cheaper then my local parts stores here in canada....although im worried ill order the wrong part..this is the one i think i need from there part # gm3010224, can someone conferm that for me? And also i notice there 4 listed and the one im looking at is the cheapest, should that be ok? my car is 97 sl1.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-17-2009, 10:35 PM   #10
2NDSOUT
Master Member

1994 SL2
1999 SL

If it makes you feel better; I purchased an alternator and a water pump from Rock Auto for my 97SW2 for about a total of $130.

You can also get discount codes for rock auto thru www.retailmenot.com and type in rockauto.com for coupon codes.

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-18-2009, 01:38 AM   #11
deathrament

makes me feel a bit better. Just hope i order the right rad, as there's a few options on there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-18-2009, 02:05 AM   #12
Canyon
Advanced Member

1995 SC2
1999 SL1

I have ordered from RockAuto numerous times and never had a problem.

Not sure what you mean by options as I looked for your vehicle and there aren't really any options to choose from when selecting a radiator. There are several makes to choose from but they all looked the same to me.

BTW I just checked and I ordered my last radiator from them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-18-2009, 01:06 PM   #13
DonP
Master Member
DonP will become famous soon enoughDonP will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

Quote:
i got this radiator stop leak formula. And i wasnt sure where to put it
In the trash if you cannot return it for a refund.

Did you determine that the leak really is from the radiator and not some where else on the car?

FWIW: the typical radiator leak is from the driver side plastic end tank, above where the AT cooling line would attach on an automatic and it is getting to that time for a '97.

BTW: Is you ECTS the new type? See the sticky threads in th How-to Library forum and replace it as necessary..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DonP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DonP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 01:53 PM   #14
deathrament

im not sure what an ects is, but im not having any trouble with the car just the coolant leak...i'm getting it checked tommorro to find out where its coming from but at times i can see coolant foaming and dripping from the bottom drivers side of the rad. on the bottom of it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-18-2009, 02:09 PM   #15
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonP View Post
...the typical radiator leak is from the driver side plastic end tank, above where the AT cooling line would attach on an automatic and it is getting to that time for a '97.

BTW: Is you ECTS the new type? See the sticky threads in th How-to Library forum and replace it as necessary..
You've been given several hints from experienced members. ECTS - engine coolant temperature sensor and a priority replacement item if the original one is still on the engine. The replacement is brass, from the How-to library, as suggested by others.

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 02:09 PM   #16
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

ECTS=Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor. And the big question is where exactly does your temperature gauge sit when the car is as warm as it gets while driving at 30 to 40 mph?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 04:13 PM   #17
deathrament

the needle is always a fair bit under half on the guage. Its always seemed quite normal to me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!