SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2008, 12:00 AM   #1
1saxman
Master Member
1saxman is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L
Default Wheel Bearing Noise Comparison

I have a noise - it oscillates at wheel speed (wuh-wuh-wuh) and rises in frequency with speed until it becomes a howl at highway speed. I thought it was the RDM but now I'm thinking wheel bearing. The RDM works and does not make noise on full-lock turns, so it's starting to be less of a suspect. For any of you who have had wheel bearings go bad on the VUE, does this sound familiar?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1saxman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1saxman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1saxman is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2008, 04:48 PM   #2
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L
Default Re: Wheel Bearing Noise Comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1saxman View Post
For any of you who have had wheel bearings go bad on the VUE, does this sound familiar?
I'd say wheel bearing. I described mine as a 'droning' or 'roaring' noise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 07:03 PM   #3
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

What happens when you shake the wheel/tire in and out of the wheel well? Any play?

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 11:39 PM   #4
1saxman
Master Member

2003 VUE 3.0L

I haven't checked in the last few weeks but there was no play then. The noise also doesn't change when whipping the car side to side. However, it seems to be getting worse, so I'm going to prostrate myself before them and place my head on the altar Monday morning. I have to pay the diagnostic fee for a SES light anyway, so I may as well let them tell me which wheel(s) need bearings. If it's not too bad of a rape, I might let them go ahead and do it. On the SES, Auto Zone read P0128 (low coolant temp), but the coolant gets as hot as always judging by the temp gauge, hot air temp and actual temp of upper hose. I'm hoping it's the coolant temp sensor, which I can probably put in myself. They want $600 to put in the thermostat, and both VUEs have thrown the same code within a week of each other.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 1saxman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-28-2008, 12:32 AM   #5
IMkenNY
IMkenNY is on a distinguished road

I just tore apart a 3.0 to replace a bad oil cooler, you can bet Ill also replace the burried thermostat.

I would think a thermostat repair would be in the $300.00 range.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to IMkenNY's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help IMkenNY reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
IMkenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 10:15 AM   #6
1saxman
Master Member

2003 VUE 3.0L

$600 was the quote. I can probably get it done elsewhere for $300, particularly as a package deal with the wheel bearing. The dealer doesn't make deals. They won't even waive the diagnostic fee if you get the work done there. I guess they'll learn to be more flexible or be forced to close. You have to be adaptable in this economy if you want business.

Ken; is the coolant temp sensor accessible without removing the intake?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-29-2008, 02:37 PM   #7
pbw
pbw is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

I've got a similar noise also, I check temps of wheel hubs after driving on highway for 45 miles. Noticed the front right was about 35 degrees higher than others. Going to change the bearing and see what happens.

PBW
"nasty" vue , 2003 awd v6.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pbw's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pbw reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 04:30 PM   #8
plum_sc2
plum_sc2 is on a distinguished road

1993 SC2
2003 VUE 3.0L
Thumbs Down Re: Wheel Bearing Noise Comparison

Had that problem/noise back in January. Dealer replaced the right front bearing. Sound came back again now in December. SAME F U CKING BEARING !!!!!! Parts are only warrantied 12mo/12,000 miles. Merry Xmas to me.................... service goof actually told me that it had worked it's way loose, possibly from hitting a pothole. What a joke!!!! My wife has a 93 SC2 and hit a truck driveshaft and destroyed TWO wheels and tires but no bearing damage....... only major components replaced on that SC2 in 16 years has been a radiator, alternator, and timing belt. In ONE YEAR i've sunk around $3000 into this P.O.S. Vue!!!!!!!!!

Think i'll trade it in for a Toyota...........

1993 SC2 - 168,000 miles
2003 Vue - 104,000 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to plum_sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help plum_sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
plum_sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 05:21 PM   #9
1saxman
Master Member

2003 VUE 3.0L

I've heard this recurring wheel bearing failure on this forum several times. Perhaps a tech or savvy home mechanic can clue us in on a better quality bearing than the dealer gets.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-30-2008, 12:05 AM   #10
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Perhaps a tech or savvy home mechanic can clue us in on a better quality bearing than the dealer gets.
It's not the quality that's the problem. Bad application of a ball bearing. Rockauto sells a Timken replacement. You probably won't do better than that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:27 AM   #11
1saxman
Master Member

2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbw View Post
I've got a similar noise also, I check temps of wheel hubs after driving on highway for 45 miles. Noticed the front right was about 35 degrees higher than others. Going to change the bearing and see what happens.
Great idea! I'll use the laser thermometer after driving and see if I can get a significant difference between the wheel centers on the same axle. In other words, braking heat would factor in, and the front wheels would normally be warmer. If one front or rear wheel is warmer than the other one on that end, that could be the one to further check.

'Rockauto sells a Timken replacement. You probably won't do better than that.'

Agreed. Timken wrote the book on heavy duty bearings.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-02-2009, 06:51 PM   #12
1saxman
Master Member

2003 VUE 3.0L

Okay, I got the $800 car wash today! Saturn put a thermostat in it to turn off the SES and a pass. side rear wheel hub bearing to get rid of 'the noise'. It definately needed the thermostat, and the temp now reads higher than it ever did before. I'm thinking the original thermostats were lemons since they are now failing so regularly on the early VUEs. And heat! The car makes heat! I thought the air was hot before. The gauge comes up 1/4 of a quarter more than before. And it's quiet again! What I was taking for tire noise over a year ago was early bearing noise. Now that I know what to listen for I won't make that mistake again. I'm also expecting some better gas mileage now that the coolant temp is up there where it belongs. Not that it was bad, but it still should pick up a little.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-03-2009, 11:19 PM   #13
pbw

2003 VUE 3.0L

Glad to hear the wheel bearing noise is gone. I'm waiting on my bearings here, ordered from Rockauto 103 dollars a piece. I'll post some how to pics maybe.

PBW

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pbw's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pbw reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-04-2009, 12:47 AM   #14
1saxman
Master Member

2003 VUE 3.0L

I recently put shocks and struts in it as well as new rotors and pads. Now with that incredible noise gone and the SES light off, it's riding like new again. The next sunny day over 50 degrees I think I'll clean it up.

Now I have to take my wife's VUE in for the same thermostat job they just did on mine, but hers has no bad wheel bearings yet. They just closed one of the two Saturn dealers in my region and consolidated operations at the one closest to me. I think they're being smart about surviving. They seem to realize that the service dep't. is going to have to pay the rent until they start selling cars again, so they're being more flexible and responsive about repairs. They did not add the diagnostic fee, at least not by line item, and when I hesitated on authorizing the work that day, they immediately offered a loaner. It was about 10:30 am when I signed for the work, and they called me about 1:30 pm to come get it - the shop looked very busy when I was there. I looked everything over and could find nothing visibly wrong, and everything has been great since. I even checked for split lug nut covers on the wheel center spider they had to remove.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-05-2009, 12:25 AM   #15
rayzur9
rayzur9 is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

So Do tell, How was that shock strut change out for your 03? Thinkin of the same thing myself. AFTER the camshaft covers, and all that latex caulk they want you to stuff in there.....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rayzur9's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rayzur9 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rayzur9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 12:15 PM   #16
1saxman
Master Member

2003 VUE 3.0L

I didn't do any of the shock/strut/brake work - I had it done, but I ordered the parts. Everything turned out fine on mine but the front end rattle came back on my wife's. I just found out from the dealer (I took it in this morning for the thermostat job) that the shop that did the work put the sway bar end links on backwards and it has to be redone. The links are R and L marked, and I warned the shop manager of that when I dropped off the cars. Guess what? That shop is going to see me again very soon, like tomorrow!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-05-2009, 02:05 PM   #17
rayzur9
rayzur9 is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

Aww MAN!! I believe it though, now you get to charge them for your time right? Heres my invoice!!!
Anyways, thanks for the help.
Nice 03 Vue you got there!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rayzur9's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rayzur9 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rayzur9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 02:20 PM   #18
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
I didn't do any of the shock/strut/brake work - I had it done, but I ordered the parts. Everything turned out fine on mine but the front end rattle came back on my wife's. I just found out from the dealer (I took it in this morning for the thermostat job) that the shop that did the work put the sway bar end links on backwards and it has to be redone. The links are R and L marked, and I warned the shop manager of that when I dropped off the cars. Guess what? That shop is going to see me again very soon, like tomorrow!
Dyslexia mechanic?

It would be great if someone could make sway bar links with a grease fitting where you can grease them yearly...

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:45 PM   #19
pbw

2003 VUE 3.0L

Yahoo got my bearing from rock auto today maybe tomorrow I'll throw it on.

PBW

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pbw's Reputation
Old 01-10-2009, 12:24 AM   #20
pbw

2003 VUE 3.0L

Today I replaced the front passenger side wheel bearing/hub....photos for your viewing pleasure.

1. Remove Wheel
http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/sho...hp/photo/49641

2. Remove Brake Caliper (wire up out of the way)
http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/sho...hp/photo/49642

3.Remove Axle Nut (you need large socket 34 or 35mm) Dont forget impact gun
http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/sho...hp/photo/49643

4. Unbolt lower strut & wiring holder
http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/sho...hp/photo/49644

5. Remove Axle from hub
http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/sho...hp/photo/49645

http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/sho...hp/photo/49646

Also wire up also so not to harm it.
http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/sho...hp/photo/49648

6. Unbolt hub/bearing and remove may have to tap it dead blow hammer
http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/sho...hp/photo/49649

7. Install new hub/bearing and reinstall in reverse order...then take a break
http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/sho...=49652&cat=548

8. Ding done...
http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/sho...hp/photo/49651

No more weird noises for me now...Took me 1.5 hours...

PBW

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pbw's Reputation