SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2008, 03:06 AM   #1
prabhakarglv
prabhakarglv is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
Wrench How to install Block Heater for Saturn SL-2 1999 Model, TwinCam Engine, 4-Door Sedan

Hi,

I feel proud to join in Saturn Community. I'm a Physiotherapist and from a small community called Whitecourt, province of Alberta and in Canada. Currently I owned Saturn SL-2, 1999 Model car. I just bought a Block Heater (Saturn OEM) for my vehicle and would like to install that part. It's just looking like a immersible water heater and with a bolt and cord. However I would appreciate if any one can give me the clear instructions in regard to fix that product in my car.

Thank you,

Regards,

PUBBY.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to prabhakarglv's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help prabhakarglv reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
prabhakarglv is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2008, 10:55 AM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: How to install Block Heater for Saturn SL-2 1999 Model, TwinCam Engine, 4-Door Se

Didn't you get he instruction sheet with it?

The tab on the end opposite the bolt hole fits under a very slight bulge on the bottom of the head and the other end bolts into the hole in the block by the dip stick tube. the block should be cleaned off before mounting and the heater must fit tight against the block. If you need pictures or a copy of the instructions, post back and I will copy them for you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 11:07 AM   #3
prabhakarglv

1999 SL2
Thumbs Up Re: How to install Block Heater for Saturn SL-2 1999 Model, TwinCam Engine, 4-Door Se

Hi OldNuc, I really thank you for your reply. I would appreciate if you could send the installation pictures for to fix the block heater in my car.

Thank you once again,

Regards,

Pubby.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help prabhakarglv reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-21-2008, 11:16 AM   #4
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2000 SC2
Default Re: How to install Block Heater for Saturn SL-2 1999 Model, TwinCam Engine, 4-Door Se

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhakarglv View Post
Hi OldNuc, I really thank you for your reply. I would appreciate if you could send the installation pictures for to fix the block heater in my car.

Thank you once again,

Regards,

Pubby.
It really pretty simple to do.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2000 SC2
-2001 Limited Edition SC2 (#78)
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:13 PM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

I wish I had that on a DVD...

That is how it goes on. Clean block, place against block and slide up so tab contacts the tab, install bolt. Check that the element contacts the block. Connect and route electric wiring over to behind left headlight. Clip to the radiator support.

On your engine there is a very small bump that he top of the heater element fits behind, no hole to stick it into. You can feel it, barely.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-22-2008, 01:22 AM   #6
prabhakarglv

1999 SL2
Thumbs Up Re: How to install Block Heater for Saturn SL-2 1999 Model, TwinCam Engine, 4-Door Se

I really appreciate you guys for saving me 100 bucks atleast. It's really worked. Thank you once again.

Regards,

Prabhakar.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-22-2008, 11:36 AM   #7
dhymers
dhymers is on a distinguished road

1993 SW2

Where can I get one of these ?
Dealerships stock them ?

In Arizona, stuff doesn't rust, it bakes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dhymers's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dhymers reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dhymers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 11:51 AM   #8
OldNuc

1998 SC2

you get the RIGHT part number for your car and order it from Get Saturn Parts. It costs about $80.00. If you go to the dealer the price will make your heart stop. You can not find the thing by description on the Get Saturn parts catalog and there are 2 different designs.

You actually might find it though, its hidden under HVAC.

If you still want one, post back and i will look up the part number for you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-22-2008, 12:00 PM   #9
92SC2
Advanced Member
92SC2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhymers View Post
Where can I get one of these ?
Dealerships stock them ?
Why do you want a block heater if you're in AZ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 92SC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 92SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
92SC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 06:10 PM   #10
Satsational
Satsational is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1

I just bought one of these for my SL1 after reading all of the posts about how horrid cold starts are on these cars (already with their oil issues). Figure it will help with a few things in sub-ZERO weather like starting the car (lol), instant warm heater air, better gas mileage in the winter, and less wear and tear on the engine.

Not that expensive either

1996 SL1 5spd
2001 Grand Prix GTP
2008 G5 SE

www.focusfast.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Satsational's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Satsational reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Satsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 06:44 PM   #11
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Buy a timer and turn the heater on about 1 1/2 hour before startup. they do make a difference. Well worth the cost.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-24-2008, 08:04 PM   #12
Satsational
Satsational is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Buy a timer and turn the heater on about 1 1/2 hour before startup. they do make a difference. Well worth the cost.
never thought about the timer, thanks!

1996 SL1 5spd
2001 Grand Prix GTP
2008 G5 SE

www.focusfast.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Satsational's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Satsational reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Satsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:38 PM   #13
haese1956
haese1956 is on a distinguished road

2001 sc3 which has been a garage queen its entire life but now it has to live outside (we've become garageless... Is the installation this simple on my Saturn also? (At least it sounds easy) I'll be on the ground with the car on jack stands. I'm also thinking about a magnetic oil pan heater. Winter is coming fast here in Alaska

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to haese1956's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help haese1956 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
haese1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:12 PM   #14
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Bottom of pan is ribbed so magnetic heater is a fail. The 98 and up block heater takes about 15 minutes to install from above.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-03-2012, 06:19 PM   #15
haese1956
haese1956 is on a distinguished road

"From above" like with the hood open? Or like the post above ? hopefully it will come with some decent instructions. I noted the ribbed pan figured that would reduce the effectiveness ...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to haese1956's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help haese1956 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
haese1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:27 PM   #16
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The block heater does come with instructions and it sits right next to the dip stick tube. The hard part is finding the hole in the head.

Saturn OEM Parts Source
GM Parts Giant- http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/
GM Parts Direct- http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/
Get Saturn Parts- http://www.trademotion.com/splash/in...?siteid=214643
GMparts4U.com- http://gmparts4u.com/

The part number you want is 21008372 find the lowest price that will ship you one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-04-2012, 09:12 PM   #17
laser3kw
laser3kw will become famous soon enough

2000 SC1

just ordered mine
GM Parts Direct $58 + shipping = $74
I think their registration was f *** ing with me because I unchecked the "receive email offers" box. I had to re do the entire form a few times because it didn't like something.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to laser3kw's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help laser3kw reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
laser3kw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:09 PM   #18
Spaghettiohead
Advanced Member
Spaghettiohead is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2

Those pan-heaters work great as well. Installed one on my Corolla for NH winters a few years ago. Sand the bottom of the pan, mix up some Steel Stick to stick in the grooves, sand again to a flat surface, and mount the heater. Use in conjunction with a block heater and you're golden!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spaghettiohead's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Spaghettiohead reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Spaghettiohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:38 AM   #19
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

I cleaned the aluminum engine block with a wire cup on a drill.

^engine out of car

After I installed this one, I bought one for my dad. I swear it took me 10 minutes to get the heater mounting tab in the block correctly.

After a few minutes of fumbling, you'll want an inspection mirror to assure yourself there really is a slot in the block (there is)

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 14 stalls to date (and loving it).
Oil use is 1 ounce per 100 miles with ~230,000 miles on the engine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:49 PM   #20
Spaghettiohead
Advanced Member
Spaghettiohead is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2

Thread revive!

Just ordered one from the dealer in town, but they say it doesn't come with the wiring/plug. Where do I find that?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spaghettiohead's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Spaghettiohead reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Spaghettiohead is offline   Reply With Quote