SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2008, 05:32 PM   #1
crater
crater is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
Default Help and suggestions please

My son has a 96 Saturn SL-2. Recently it has been not able to start after warming up and driving very little distance. Today it would not start again and I had to go get him. No big deal. It seems that after he parks the car, the battery goes dead. I heard a noise like the clunk clunk sound you get when the door locks go up and down. He did not have the keys in the igniton. It was not the usual bell chiming like you left the keys in the car and exitited. It appears that if he lets it sit for a while it will start again. I am going to remove the fuse for the door locks on Sunday, but I was wondering if anybody had any other ideas.

Thanks in advance.....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to crater's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help crater reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
crater is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2008, 06:21 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Help and suggestions please

1-Be sure to read the first two posts in the How-to library about the engine coolant temperature sensor (ECTS) if it hasn't been replaced. The original tends to fail, leaving a rich running engine that may be causing this problem.

2-Check the battery charge; go to any auto store that will check the battery state for free. The serpentine belt tensioner should also be carefully checked if its worn as a worn one will allow belt slippage that would allow less alternator effectiveness in maintaining a fully charged battery and less voltage for the electrical system. Normally a battery will read approximately 12.5v+, 13.5v+ during idle, and 14.3v+ above idle. The last two voltages will reflect the alternator charging/supplying all the electrical needs. A worn belt tensioner will allow simple finger pressure to deflect the belt easily between the pulleys and if found this way the tensioner should be replaced.

3-Is it time for spark plug maintenance, a mini-tune, including cleaning the throttle body of build-up? Oil and air filters, etc.?

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote