SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2008, 01:19 PM   #1
CA-Legal-Vette
CA-Legal-Vette is on a distinguished road

Default Door lock - key and remote questions

I have two problems with the door of my 2003 VUE door.

First, my son lost one of the keyless door remotes. the other works fine. Can I just buy one on eBay or will the sync procedure not work with one that doesn't "match" the one I have. Obviously, i don't really know how these work or sync.

Second, we just had two new keys cut (to replace the lost one) only to find that the drivers side door will not unlock from the key. The other two work fine and the driver's side will lock the door. Is there a mechanical switch in the door or is it totally electric? Hard to replace?

As always, thanks for the help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CA-Legal-Vette's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CA-Legal-Vette reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CA-Legal-Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2008, 02:45 PM   #2
1saxman
Master Member
1saxman is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L
Default Re: Door lock - key and remote questions

A new fob/remote sync'd to your BCM will cost $80 from Saturn. All keyed doors should unlock with a properly-made key in good condition. 2003 keys are getting very worn by now, and making a new one from a worn old one accomplishes nothing. The new key must be made from the original key specs.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1saxman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1saxman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1saxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 03:36 PM   #3
CA-Legal-Vette

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1saxman View Post
A new fob/remote sync'd to your BCM will cost $80 from Saturn. All keyed doors should unlock with a properly-made key in good condition. 2003 keys are getting very worn by now, and making a new one from a worn old one accomplishes nothing. The new key must be made from the original key specs.
Thanks for the reply.

New key was made by Saturn based on the VIN. It works better than the remaining, worn one, but none will unlock the driver's side door. the problem is within the lock as the keys work fine on the ignition and the other two locks.

I know that I can buy the fob from Saturn. I was asking about used ones.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help CA-Legal-Vette reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-13-2008, 01:56 PM   #4
1saxman
Master Member

2003 VUE 3.0L

Your lock is defective/broken/dirty. A remote cannot be 'sync'd' to a different BCM by the dealer, or so they told me recently, so a used one from a different car will do you no good.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 1saxman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-13-2008, 03:36 PM   #5
CA-Legal-Vette

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1saxman View Post
Your lock is defective/broken/dirty. A remote cannot be 'sync'd' to a different BCM by the dealer, or so they told me recently, so a used one from a different car will do you no good.
Thanks for this. We got the same advice and quote from our dealer. probably true then.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-13-2008, 06:54 PM   #6
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Any key fob that is the right part number can be programmed to the car.
note programmed. Not sync'd.

As for the drivers door lock not working you are going to be best off pulling the door panel, inner, to have a look at the door latch mechanism to see what is not happening there.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 07:49 PM   #7
1saxman
Master Member

2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssicarman View Post
Any key fob that is the right part number can be programmed to the car.
note programmed. Not sync'd.

As for the drivers door lock not working you are going to be best off pulling the door panel, inner, to have a look at the door latch mechanism to see what is not happening there.
The technician brought my old fob (the one that I forgot to take with me to get the new BCM installed) out to the service manager when I asked them to re-program it while they were changing out the coolant, and I could tell something was wrong. The SM came over to me and said It was the 'old type' and couldn't be changed to communicate with the new BCM, but a new fob was available for $80. He said the replacement BCM came with only one fob. I was thinking all along that they had re-programmed the one that was on my keys that day, but if what they're saying is true, I got a new fob instead. Which brings forth the question of what happened to the old fob? Not that it would be any good to me but maybe I wanted to make a fishing lure out of it. It was mine and should have been returned.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-15-2008, 02:30 AM   #8
TheFonz
TheFonz is on a distinguished road

So they replaced your body control module and only gave you one remote.. I changed one recently and it came with 2 brand new ones because of the new BCM. Most dealers will program them for free but buying one can be expensive. You can get used ones as long as the part number is the same. Just as said before.

Ive seen a couple vues where the drivers door is different than the ignition.. I dont know why tho.. Have you ever had a key for the door that worked??? If so just have them cut a new key from your old one if its not too damaged. If you had to just have them replace the door cylinder with the code for your ignition key. GL

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TheFonz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TheFonz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TheFonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 12:54 PM   #9
MaxSL2
Advanced Member
MaxSL2 is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L

The new BCM should have had 2 fobs in the package.

The only reason they are included is that the old part no. ones will not work with the replacement BCM currently used for '02-'03's.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MaxSL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MaxSL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MaxSL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 07:31 PM   #10
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

The new VUE BCM's do come with two remotes.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 01:51 PM   #11
1saxman
Master Member

2003 VUE 3.0L

If that's the way it is I have some questions for the SM. Thanks for the info!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!